Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No boozing on certain trains to the West

Options

Comments

There doesn't 'need' to be anything. But having a drink after a long days work is relaxing. If you are going to be sitting in the one spot for a few hours, reading a book and having a couple of beers is a great way to pass the time. There's nothing degenerate about it.

What is your list of occasions / places where drinking should be permissible?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

_Brian wrote: »
    Why does there need to be drinking allowed on any trains - seriously, what sort of a degenerate country are we turning into.

There doesn't NEED to be, however a person should be free to have a drink wherever they like.

If you think having a drink non a train is turning a country degenerate, I suggest you avoid Germany :pac: - Incase you're totally clueless, it's not rare to see someone walking down the street with a can, just like you'd see someone here with a bottle of water. When in Germany, after a night out, i've often bought a can from a corner store while waiting for a train... beside me there could be 10 others doing the same... all minding our own business.... with cans :D

IMO, the issue in Ireland is tolerance to alcohol. How come last weekend in Krakow, at about 2am, I was at a market where there was approx. 50 people waiting to get some munch before heading home. Everyone had been most likely drinking, yet everyone was Q'ing as normal, having a chat with their friends etc. Whereas in Ireland, you have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IvxRsnMXF0 (I use this specific example, as I reckon the ages of people I mention in my example were all early 20's) - For a country who "drinks a lot" (according to the world), we can't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

_Brian wrote: »
    Why does there need to be drinking allowed on any trains - seriously, what sort of a degenerate country are we turning into.

Why not?

Drinking isn't the problem here, most responsible adults can manage it without making a nuisance of themselves.

It's antisocial behaviour that's the problem and that's what should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Been like that for years on the Waterford line. Just common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There doesn't NEED to be, however a person should be free to have a drink wherever they like.

If you think having a drink non a train is turning a country degenerate, I suggest you avoid Germany :pac: - Incase you're totally clueless, it's not rare to see someone walking down the street with a can, just like you'd see someone here with a bottle of water. When in Germany, after a night out, i've often bought a can from a corner store while waiting for a train... beside me there could be 10 others doing the same... all minding our own business.... with cans :D

Yes but Germany is a civilised country, they wouldn't for example just leave a mess of cans and bottles on the train or throw it in the ditch between the corner shop and the train.

We are basically a country of louts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Carsanal

Put 1-2 Garda on every carriage going forward.
    Don't ban the drinking because the minority cause an issue.
    15-20 Gardaí throughout the given trains would sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes but Germany is a civilised country, they wouldn't for example just leave a mess of cans and bottles on the train or throw it in the ditch between the corner shop and the train.

We are basically a country of louts.

You have no idea how much will power I just applied to stop me inserting a certain Fawlty Towers YouTube clip right here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not have it that there are drinking carriages or that you can book on one or book out a complete carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I was once on a train home to Kerry of a Friday and I ended stuck at a table of a 40-50 something woman from Dublin (kinda howiyas) - they were loud and fairly drunk but seemed sound overall- in the end though one of them passed out and p*ssed herself!

I was in my early 20s at the time so just found it funny but I can imagine a lot of others didnt- and I prob wouldnt now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is the fault of that subspecies of the population who think they're 'great craic' after a few drinks, but in reality they're about as insufferable as wasps at a picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Why ban something out right because a minority of people are causing antisocial behaviour. This small group of people would either cause the same hassle if they were not drinking onboard (because they probably had plenty before they got on the train) or would just ignore the rule and drink anyways.

They would say they would remove these people if they broke this rule.
    But my question is why not just remove them in the first place before this stupid rule? Only difference this makes is that respectable people who would like to have a drink on their trip now can't.

Its just another little freedom taken from us by an issue that could be solved without doing so..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Once again the fcukwits ruin it for everyone else, but that's the thing about fcukwits, they're fcukwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be honest, I think it is a sad reflection of the lack of respect for fellow passengers and the problem on the train that they had to bring this in. Do you think they'd do it if they didn't have to?

I don't think they'll be literally searching customers.....

I think this is being introduced to make it look as if they are addressing the problem.

I hope you are right but this is what it says in the RTE report -

"Iarnród Éireann says any passengers boarding these services with alcohol will have it confiscated, and no alcoholic beverages will be sold on board."

How can they confiscate it if they can't see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was on a train recently and noticed a pair of eyes starring at me from the luggage rack.

It was a cat in a travel bag. Poor little bugger looked frightened. :(

The owner should have have kept him down beside her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I was on a train recently and noticed a pair of eyes starring at me from the luggage rack.

It was a cat in a travel bag. Poor little bugger looked frightened. :(

The owner should have have kept him down beside her.

Cat would have been just grand if it could have had a little creme de cassis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

wexie wrote: »
    Cat would have been just grand if it could have had a little creme de cassis[/QUOT

Or a Tia Maria and milk with a bit of cat nip on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yet more bullshíte. Punish the ones causing the problem and leave the rest of us alone. Country is gone a ****ing kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

elperello wrote: »
    Better to deal with problem passengers rather than impose drink ban on the decent majority.

That isnt the way this country works. Punish the innocent and let the guilty go free. The dirtbirds will get their drink on some other way and dont expect C.I.E. staff to do anything.
    I saw them one evening where an elderly couple had prebooked their seats only to find a few yobs sitting in them opposite their pals. The C.I.E. mans attitude when called was "possession is nine points of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

wexie wrote: »
    Why not?

Drinking isn't the problem here, most responsible adults can manage it without making a nuisance of themselves.

It's antisocial behaviour that's the problem and that's what should be banned

Because drinking isn't served on buses for one.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it really necessary to serve alcohol on a train in the first place ?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    is it really necessary to serve alcohol on a train in the first place ?

No not really.

It's just a little extra luxury that people in well ordered societies can indulge in without interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have been one of these drunk eejits.
    Although we thought we were great craic - in hindsight we were just drunk eejits disturbing everyone else's journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

biko wrote: »
    I have been one of these drunk eejits.
    Although we thought we were great craic - in hindsight we were just drunk eejits disturbing everyone else's journey.

Good love them, I'm sure they were scarred for life.

Last time I got a train to the West, specifically to Cathair na Mart, there wasn't even a seat for the £38/€38 which I paid. When I asked an Iarnród Éireann guy about it he said, and I quote, 'The ticket doesn't guarantee a seat'.

In this context, the absence of alcohol/drug of choice wouldn't even register when assessing the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Because drinking isn't served on buses for one.

the train is not the bus though.
    Last time I got a train to the West, specifically to Cathair na Mart, there wasn't even a seat for the £38/€38 which I paid. When I asked an Iarnród Éireann guy about it he said, and I quote, 'The ticket doesn't guarantee a seat'.

In this context, the absence of alcohol/drug of choice wouldn't even register when assessing the service.

the chap you spoke to is apparently correct, i believe this is mentioned in the terms of travel that a ticket won't guarantee a seat. even a reservation apparently won't guarantee a seat, which if true (whatever about a general ticket) there is no justification for.
    realistically it would not always be possible to guarantee everyone a seat on the railway, at least at peak time and on the suburban parts of it. all though the railway can certainly do a hell of a lot better and so can the government in terms of funding it to do so.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

killanena wrote: »
    Why ban something out right because a minority of people are causing antisocial behaviour. This small group of people would either cause the same hassle if they were not drinking onboard (because they probably had plenty before they got on the train) or would just ignore the rule and drink anyways.

They would say they would remove these people if they broke this rule.
    But my question is why not just remove them in the first place before this stupid rule? Only difference this makes is that respectable people who would like to have a drink on their trip now can't.

Its just another little freedom taken from us by an issue that could be solved without doing so..

How exactly would you remove 20 lads who are locked? You'd have to call the cops and have the train stuck in a station while their being evicted. It's easier just to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Mulbert

This type of ban has been on the Waterford line for about 20 yrs.Mainly because of Dublin *****/pricks going to Kilkenny and making for a nightmare journey for those in their company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Been on the Friday train to Galway many times and a loud group being "great craic" can make your journey a misery.

Can't say I have a problem with the ban, it's lenient in my view - usually in the moment I want them to drop dead.

Grayson wrote: »
    How exactly would you remove 20 lads who are locked? You'd have to call the cops and have the train stuck in a station while their being evicted. It's easier just to say no.

Quite roughly if they put up any argument.

Seriously though it's the only way if we don't want our public services taken over by louts.

If people are obviously rowdy or drunk don't let them on in the first place.

If they cause bother on the train turf them off at the next station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is hilarious. You cannot find anyone in Irish Rail to sort out someone who is sitting in your pre booked seat. No one on board to monitor anything apart from the odd ticket checker and the guys and girls dishing out the sambos and tea on the trolley.

Barry Kenny is living in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks that every bag brought on board will be checked for alcohol, be like Brexit on the border!

All that will happen is that alcohol will not be sold on the train. That is a challenge for those who will stash the vodka in the seven up bottle and so on.

We need the alcohol Stasi going up and down the carriages and turfing the messers off in the most remote station possible!

Ah I'm only having a laugh.

Advertisement