Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you allow a homeless family live in a mobile home/caravan on your property?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    Whoah, whoah, what? So they were living on his parents land and that "became no longer viable"? What does that mean?

I'm going to guess here that the child being difficult, is not the problem. The parents being difficult, is likely the problem. It's why they couldn't stay at his parents, and why emergency accomodation is "not suitable".

While I suspect you may well be right it's also entirely possible that they were told to move the mobile home from where it was because of complaints, planning enforcement or whatever.

What got me about this is the whole 'there aren't any halting sites in Fermoy' bit.

So?

Move to the nearest one?

Why a picnic area on a public road?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

There must be thousands of vacant houses in Cork. Use one of them.

There are plenty of vacant houses in every county. But they know if they hang on long enough they will get one in Dublin. That's the problem.
    They should split them all up and send them all over the country, if they want a free house they shouldn't have a choice where it is as long as it has a school and a shop what else do they need.

So if someone has a criminal record from 25 years ago **** em. But a person homeless 2 days can get a spot. A bit judgemental no

Ok, it would depend on the crime committed at the time. 25 years is a long time.

I would only be acting in the best interests of my own family, if the people who were to be staying on my property had to be garda vetted.

Otherwise I think I would be acting irresponsibly.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is a huge part of the problem. When landlords can't up the rent, they simply give the tenants notice they are going to sell. Tenant moves out, landlord hikes up the rent and puts it back on the market. Or they use the property for Air BnB.

the swing to air b n b is more reflective of the disaster trying to evict a delinquent tenant has become , than anything to do with earning more money , i own a small modest terraced house in one of the regional cities , i have it leased to the council for ten years so the rent is 20% below market but im perfectly happy with the arrangement and i have no responsibilities bar insurance , property tax and structural issues . we do air b n b in our home during the summer months as we are not far from an area which has high demand in summer so we charge a bit less . there is a lot of work with air b n b compared to letting a house on a daily basis.

those who condemn air b n b dont want to address what drove people into it in the first place , a complete bias in favour of tenants when it comes to the law right now . obviously if you own a place in dublin city , air b n b is a great money spinner but thats not near the whole story .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Another charming poster girl.

"Because I'm taxed I can't afford a home".

So the "free everything now" crowd are angling for no taxes on the rare as hen's teeth occasions they work ????

Perfect.

Well at least she's no Margaret Cash

“Another thing I would like to bring to your attention is that a year ago when I was down in the Council, one of the Council workers told me, your best bet is to go get yourself pregnant and you should get a house that way.

“That’s not how they should be doing their job.

“He tried to say, I’m not being rude, but to even say something like that with the situation the country is in, bring another life on to the Earth and let that suffer too.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/former-irish-soldier-homeless-living-13362599

Bit sad that somebody working in the council actually gave that advice and the advice is regularly used by many to get homes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

seamus wrote: »
    As I have said before, there is ALWAYS more to these sob stories than they want to reveal.

Their caravan has no running water or electricity and there are two adults and four children living in it. Yet they claim that's better than emergency accommodation with an ADHD child.

Bullsh1t. There's something else. Such as:

Whoah, whoah, what? So they were living on his parents land and that "became no longer viable"? What does that mean?

My family is currently living IN my wife's parents' house and while it's temporary and a bit of a struggle, I know for a fact that if we were in need, we could stay for the next decade if we had to.
    What could possibly have changed in their circumstances that a caravan in the garden is "no longer viable"?

I'm going to guess here that the child being difficult, is not the problem. The parents being difficult, is likely the problem. It's why they couldn't stay at his parents, and why emergency accommodation is "not suitable".

He was on the radio

Apparently the wife and his mother weren't getting along due to the kids

That also caused fights with him and the father

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorry but no. I pay my mortgage, taxes and every other tax going, its not my job to provide living space or parking to anyone else.

Advertisement