Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you allow a homeless family live in a mobile home/caravan on your property?

Options
  • 04-10-2018 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭

There is a family living in a caravan/mobile in a picnic area outside Fermoy. They are due to be evicted Today. They have no where to go and can't accept emergency accommodation in a hotel due to one of the kids ADHD.
    If it was allowed would you allow a family similar to this move into your garden/driveway until they got sorted?
    Same would go for all families living in a small hotel room. Would you allow them live on your driveway in caravan/mobile home until a social house became available?
    Now the family would never be required to enter your house.
    I don't know if you'd get paid.
    I personally don't think I would feel comfortable doing this.
    Sewage would be one of my concerns and you could get landed with any type of family.

Would you allow a homeless family live in a mobile home/caravan on your property?

Would you allow a homeless family live in a mobile home/caravan on your property? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not allowed under Planning Act.

There is a family living in a caravan/mobile in a picnic area outside Fermoy. They are due to be evicted Today. They have no where to go and can't accept emergency accommodation in a hotel due to one of the kids ADHD.
    If it was allowed would you allow a family similar to this move into your garden/driveway until they got sorted?
    Same would go for all families living in a small hotel room. Would you allow them live on your driveway in caravan/mobile home until a social house became available?
    Now the family would never be required to enter your house.
    I don't know if you'd get paid.
    I personally don't think I would feel comfortable doing this.
    Sewage would be one of my concerns and you could get landed with any type of family.

if i knew them very well, there's a chance i would.

id need to know how come they couldnt possibly meet their own housing need, and they r plans to get that solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

elperello wrote: »

If it was allowed.
    I think I said it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

It totally depends on the family and their circumstances.
    No if they don't deserve it.
    Yes if they do deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it was allowed.
    I think I said it in the post.

I thought you were seeking clarification.
    Bear in mind that anyone replying saying they would allow the family now know that it is an empty gesture.

• Advertisement

I think you would also have to be allowed to choose who gets to live there. You don't want some scumbag that doesn't care about anyone except herself as your life would be made hell for trying to be nice.

I think you would also have to be allowed to choose who gets to live there. You don't want some scumbag that doesn't care about anyone except herself as your life would be made hell for trying to be nice.

I suppose the laws would be similar to those who you can refuse to rent a house to.

I suppose the laws would be similar to those who you can refuse to rent a house to.

Yes, they probably would.
    Then I think people would find it hard to let random people live on the property which they live on. You never know what kind of person you would get.

Yes, they probably would.
    Then I think people would find it hard to let random people live on the property which they live on. You never know what kind of person you would get.

Yes, plenty of landlords do various checks and still end up with nightmare tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nope.
    We pay plenty of direct taxes from two wages and then a host of secondary taxes from our already heavily taxed wages. To me we’ve done our part.

Maybe those getting essentially free houses from the government should be compelled to have mobiles or temporary housing put in their gardens.

It is within the governments ability and affordability to solve this crisis, this is a crisis of lack of interest and understanding on their behalf.

Friend said there are rumours that a nationwide rent control being brought in, insearched online and couldn’t find any word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Not a f*cking chance

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know several estates in tallaght where local authorities leases say no caravan or mobile homes allowed to put on the property ,
    Doesn't stop hundreds doing It anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

No. I pay a **** ton of money in rent, taxes and everything else. I do my part

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

There was talk of a ship to house the homeless. Not a bad idea, as long as someone cuts the moorings and it floats off into the Atlantic never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Build trailer parks, problem solved.

No I don't mean halting sites either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

_Brian wrote: »
    Nope.
    We pay plenty of direct taxes from two wages and then a host of secondary taxes from our already heavily taxed wages. To me we’ve done our part.

Maybe those getting essentially free houses from the government should be compelled to have mobiles or temporary housing put in their gardens.

It is within the governments ability and affordability to solve this crisis, this is a crisis of lack of interest and understanding on their behalf.

Friend said there are rumours that a nationwide rent control being brought in, insearched online and couldn’t find any word.
    Is a huge part of the problem. When landlords can't up the rent, they simply give the tenants notice they are going to sell. Tenant moves out, landlord hikes up the rent and puts it back on the market. Or they use the property for Air BnB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

They won't accept emergency accommodation in a hotel because there child ADSD

But it's better for the child to be in a caravan???
    Statements like this make me wonder about the parents intentions in cases like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

ZX7R wrote: »

Statements like this make me wonder about the parents intentions in cases like this..

ADHD is the new gluten intolerant.

Trendy.

ZX7R wrote: »

I think in a hotel they'd annoy other guests!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not a ****ing chance.

Also how have they nowhere to go, they have a caravan don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you been to many hotels that have a no ADHD policy? :confused:

Most hotels have sound proofing in walls etc

In a lot of these cases ,I find they use the poor child as leaverage a gain's to a means

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There must be thousands of vacant houses in Cork. Use one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

elperello wrote: »

eh? i know a family who are currently living in such circumstances. its not illegal at all to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Trendy.
    One of the founders Dr Kevin Connor wrote that vast amounts of children are being misdiagnosed with the condition. It has become a racket for pharmaceutical companies. Can you imganie making coin through drugging boisterous kids.

Worringly another founder of the diagnosis Dr Leon Eiseberg began stating that it's a fictitious disease' shortly before his death in 2009..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

eh? i know a family who are currently living in such circumstances. its not illegal at all to the best of my knowledge.

Not illegal to store a caravan on a site. But planning permission is needed for it to be used as a living space, and to be connected to services.

• Advertisement

Trendy.
    To be fair ADHD diagnosis is less than 1% in children aged 4years to 12years
    Would believe more easy to get diagnosed as an adult.
    Definitely gets thrown around too easy this days.

Advertisement