Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a talker that goes on an on and on

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That can be true, when they are interesting or funny at least, but the guy I previously referenced was literally as boring as that priest in Father Ted.

Sometimes he would drag you out for a drink after work and I would actually get depressed listening to him - and think "What the actual f*ck am I doing here???!!"

fortunately there would be other colleagues there and he would usually start to "chat up" the barmaids.

you sure are going on about this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Give them a lunchtime show on Newstalk?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,491 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

enfield wrote: »
    You know the type, you say hello and you need not open your mouth for the rest of the night. They hardly pause for a breath. Trying to get away from them is the most difficult thing. Have you any suggestions guys and gals. Sensible ones, that might work.

I once knew two of these incessant talkers. They did not know each other. One night they just happened to be in the same place as myself and I introduced them to each other and waited to see what would happen.
    Well would you believe it they had a fantastic time together and got on like a house on fire.
    Now back to my query, how do you stop these people when they are talking at you incessantly?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah, now I've listened to your nonsense we get to the good bit, where I talk.
    Those type of people are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Depends on the person.

An acquaintance of mine goes off on steam-of-consciousness lectures about politics and other low-brow topics. He also he assumes he knows more about everything than anyone.

In reality, he is a bit of a loser and I think he acts like this out of insecurity and as a means to protect his ego from the reality of his situation.

Contrast the above with friend of mine I used to work with. This fella is similar in their verbiage but are interesting and good company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    you sure are going on about this guy.

Yeah, in a thread about people who go on and on .... the irony!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have a buddy and if he spent 30 minutes watching a tv show he would spend 45 telling you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I would put on headphones , hide my face behind my monitor and he would just stand up so he could see me and continue talking ....

WTF is it with people who talk at you when you're wearing headphones.

At lunchtime I usually go for a walk and listen to podcasts on headphones.

So I'm heading out taking the lift and some randomer gets in. I see lips moving.

Take out phone.
    Take phone out of phone sleeve.
    Unlock phone.
    Open podcast app.
    Pause podcast.
    Take headphone off one ear.

"Sorry, what was that?"
    "I said, nice day isn't it?"
    "Yeah, grand"

:rolleyes:

Then I have to do all the above in reverse, plus I have to wind the podcast back because I'm not just listening to music, I actually wanted to hear what was being said.

Y'know, if someone has headphones on that means they're listening to something. These are not earbuds that you might not see, these are big-ass headphones. They've chosen to listen to something on their big-ass headphones. You can SEE that they've chosen to listen to something on their big-ass headphones. Why are you interrupting them over trivial crap? And make THEM feel like they're the ones who are being rude?

Fcuk sake.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're just trying to be social Hotblack.

It's kind of sad the way people walk around glued to phones or whatnot these days.

Nobody talks anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I remember I worked with a guy who just didn't seem to be able to sense other peoples discomfort or take a hint.
    He would just talk and talk at you - conversations for him were one way, he would even interrupt you to tell you what he wants to tell you.
    Let's call him Glenn

Glenn : "Morning Hector, have a good weekend...?" (this was insincere , it was a way for him to get going)
    Me : "Fine Glenn yeah ... I went to .... "
    Glenn (interrupting - could see the disinterest and impatience on his face) : "Yeah ... what I did was ........ " < insert essay here... >

I would put on headphones , hide my face behind my monitor and he would just stand up so he could see me and continue talking ....

He also had an obsession with women, and actually would harass colleagues (only reason he didn't get fired was he was so good at what he did they couldn't let him go...)

But thats another story, jesus I should start a thread on him ...

Once I was at a party that he was invited to ... and walked by him talking to the hosts wife .... "My wife, she doesn't give me blow jobs" ... was the line I heard.
    Apparently the host got a dressing down from his wife - "I never wanna see that pervert in this house again" or words to that effect.

Been thinking of writing a sitcom on the guy ....

It's **** you just could not make up!!

Brilliant, I would watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That can be true, when they are interesting or funny at least, but the guy I previously referenced was literally as boring as that priest in Father Ted.

Sometimes he would drag you out for a drink after work and I would actually get depressed listening to him - and think "What the actual f*ck am I doing here???!!"

fortunately there would be other colleagues there and he would usually start to "chat up" the barmaids.

The one in the clip posted or are you referring to Father Stone as he doesn't say anything at all.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

What I have used, to their surprise is say " You are going to have to stop talking, you are frying my brain!
    Another which worked for a short time is hold up your hands and say "Whoaaaa...information overload!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're just trying to be social Hotblack.

Yes I know.

The bastards :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

just unzip the trousers, start playing the fiddle, and that usually seems to work!!

Whose trousers? Your own or theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Just smile and walk off when you've had enough, these talking addicts always find some one else to assault and get their high so don't be afraid of offending them , they're oblivious , all they care about is the next ear.

WTF is it with people who talk at you when you're wearing headphones.

At lunchtime I usually go for a walk and listen to podcasts on headphones.

So I'm heading out taking the lift and some randomer gets in. I see lips moving.

Take out phone.
    Take phone out of phone sleeve.
    Unlock phone.
    Open podcast app.
    Pause podcast.
    Take headphone off one ear.

"Sorry, what was that?"
    "I said, nice day isn't it?"
    "Yeah, grand"

:rolleyes:

Then I have to do all the above in reverse, plus I have to wind the podcast back because I'm not just listening to music, I actually wanted to hear what was being said.

Y'know, if someone has headphones on that means they're listening to something. These are not earbuds that you might not see, these are big-ass headphones. They've chosen to listen to something on their big-ass headphones. You can SEE that they've chosen to listen to something on their big-ass headphones. Why are you interrupting them over trivial crap? And make THEM feel like they're the ones who are being rude?

Fcuk sake.
    maybe they're not looking at your ears ,you're not the centre of the universe , people have other things to look at .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

these people wreck my head.

i know 6 people like this.
    one lives in england and must save up his words for when he comes home
    3 are english that retired to the area.
    one is english and married a local guy

the other is irish

i wonder is it something to do with england. they all seem to be like that

all of them are to be avoided if at all posible.
    2 of the above are maried to each other and are called the gramafones . all you do is wind them up and let them go until they tire them selves out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the other extreme is this.....

Oops69 wrote: »
    maybe they're not looking at your ears ,you're not the centre of the universe , people have other things to look at .

Wow someone is having a bad day!!
    I would hope they aren't looking down at the ground while trying to talk to you. If you are talking to someone you look at them, therefore you would see the headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

enfield wrote: »
    You know the type, you say hello and you need not open your mouth for the rest of the night. They hardly pause for a breath. Trying to get away from them is the most difficult thing. Have you any suggestions guys and gals. Sensible ones, that might work.

I once knew two of these incessant talkers. They did not know each other. One night they just happened to be in the same place as myself and I introduced them to each other and waited to see what would happen.
    Well would you believe it they had a fantastic time together and got on like a house on fire.
    Now back to my query, how do you stop these people when they are talking at you incessantly?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Either punch them in the face or tell them to stfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

People that talk at you are a pain. They've told their longass story and you proceed to tell your story and their eyes glaze over waiting in anticipation till they can take over again.

Wow someone is having a bad day!!
    I would hope they aren't looking down at the ground while trying to talk to you. If you are talking to someone you look at them, therefore you would see the headphones.

maybe you're really ugly and they've no choice especially when you have that cold sore or spot on you're nose , lol.

maybe you're really ugly and they've no choice especially when you have that cold sore or spot on you're nose , lol.

Maybe, but then I wouldn't be talking to someone unnecessarily and drawing attention to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Send them to the politics cafe.

That'll soon take the wind out of their sails.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Send them to the politics cafe.

That'll soon take the wind out of their sails.

never heard of it

:p

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just smile and walk off when you've had enough, these talking addicts always find some one else to assault and get their high so don't be afraid of offending them , they're oblivious , all they care about is the next ear.
    Pretty much what I do. Although if someone is trying to talk to a group of us I may just wander away, do some other stuff, and come back for the climax. The person doing the talking might not even notice my absence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Beasty wrote: »
    Pretty much what I do. Although if someone is trying to talk to a group of us I may just wander away, do some other stuff, and come back for the climax. The person doing the talking might not even notice my absence.....

In my experience there never us a climax. It's a series of tangents and you are told 75% of the story before some detail has to be explained from a different angle to truly understand it

In my experience there never us a climax. It's a series of tangents and you are told 75% of the story before some detail has to be explained from a different angle to truly understand it
    ny experience as well, it has to be an as yet un- named medical condition as it does seem to have a similar pattern of behaviour amongst 'sufferers'.... either that or its the same annoying nut job going around terrrorising the lot of us .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah but no but yeah but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Some time ago a guy asked me out. He wasn't particularly physically attractive but I thought sure why not, it's just a date and he might turn out to be good in the sack at some stage. During the date he just sat there practically poker faced the entire time and seemed to have very little conversational skills.

I like to have really engaging conversations and with most people there's a natural ebb and flow, and you try to find common ground. With this guy I would talk about a topic, trying to keep it interesting ask him his opinion, ask him questions about himself etc. He would give very short answers and I waited for him to reciprocate but nada. This same pattern was repeated throughout the date with me having to carry the conversation the whole time and him just staring at me like a big gormless child. Honestly it felt draining but if I hadn't put the effort in there would have been just long, awkward silences which is fine if you're in an established relationship but not exactly endearing on a first date.

We agreed to meet again as in some cases I will give someone a second chance just on the off-chance it was understandable first date nerves and he might have some magical personality transplant. But no! Exact same situation second time round. If anyone sitting near to us on both times had overheard us, it could have appeared that I was the one entirely dominating the conversation. He did hint about his wife having left him/cheated and made indirect references about him being boring. Didn't surprise me in the least.

I got a passive aggressive message from him later about not getting the ride. I very politely made sure that he knew to jog on.

Advertisement