Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with a talker that goes on an on and on

Options
  • 04-10-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

You know the type, you say hello and you need not open your mouth for the rest of the night. They hardly pause for a breath. Trying to get away from them is the most difficult thing. Have you any suggestions guys and gals. Sensible ones, that might work.

I once knew two of these incessant talkers. They did not know each other. One night they just happened to be in the same place as myself and I introduced them to each other and waited to see what would happen.
    Well would you believe it they had a fantastic time together and got on like a house on fire.
    Now back to my query, how do you stop these people when they are talking at you incessantly?
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I'm not much of a talker, so I just listen (or pretend to listen, if they're a bit boring) and remain thankful that I don't need to talk. For that reason, I quite like talkative people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

just unzip the trousers, start playing the fiddle, and that usually seems to work!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I though that opening post would never end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A good pair of headphones work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

enfield wrote: »
    I once knew two of these incessant talkers. They did not know each other. One night they just happened to be in the same place as myself and I introduced them to each other and waited to see what would happen.
    Well would you believe it they had a fantastic time together and got on like a house on fire.

I was hoping to hear they cancelled each other out & ended up sitting in awkward silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,174 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There's a whole lot of difference between a chatty person and one who just likes the sound of their own voice.
    I can embrace the first but the second really p***es me off. If its on the phone I tend to be curt and ask immediately, 'what do you want'? That sort of stumps the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

basically any woman is like this. If they refuse to acknowledge me I basically tell them to shut da fuk up and let me speak

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I had one of these in work. Sat beside her for about a week, ended up requesting to move seats because of it. Constant talking about absolute rubbish. It is so irritating.
    Now she sits beside me all the time in the canteen during lunch, I now bring my headphones in with me and sit there like a douche watching Netflix. If she comes in and sits somewhere else, I will take them off.
    I know this makes me look like an a**h**e but until you experience it, you have no idea how irritating it is.
    numerous others have told her she talks so much and told her she needs to chill out, it doesn't help.
    She is also one of these people that is happy all the bloody time. Ugh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Stop responding and walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

fryup wrote: »

Ah, it's Yourself

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

- Knock, knock

- Who's there?

- Interrupting cow.

- Interrupting cow wh-

- MOOOOOOOOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I was on a flight from California returning home. Their was a woman from New Zealand next to me, so she already completed 10 hour flight and now was on the last 10 to Europe. At first she seemed chatty, but it was beginning to come clear she must have been on something, she was polite enough but it was too much......8 hours too much. Even when i pretended to fall asleep she kept on going trying to wake me up, the guy in front simply had enough and got turned around to her and said "excuse me! But could you please use your inside voice!" 
    This stopped her for 40 mins, then looked over to a poor woman on the next isle and started again for the remainder of the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

In my case, marry her!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A lot of the time you've just got to put up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ITT: People who are missing blindingly obvious cues that they could be getting the ride :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dulceetdecorum

I actually sorta like those people, a lot of the time I don't have the energy to chat or something and being able to listen to someone talk about something and not being expected to add anything can be weirdly relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hold up your finger and say "hold that thought for a second" and walk away ....

Or fake getting a call and apologise .... and walk away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

shur, that's it so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Out talk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pretend to have a seizure, that'll shut Em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Dont vote for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I think in some cases people who never shut up tend to be fairly anxious people.

I've known a few who just don't seem to be able to handle a moments silence at all.
    They seem to need to be either fidgeting with a phone or to be talking utter nonsense in order to fill the void.

I've always thought it to be a sort of overcompensation for the perceived awkwardness of sitting in silence, from their perspective, but to be honest I'd much prefer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I think in some cases people who never shut up tend to be fairly anxious people.

anxious & insecure

"do people like me? maybe i should talk more" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ask them if they have heard of Ma Barker.

"I don't like talk, and I don't like talkers."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Blast them with...... Silence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They usually have taken ecstasy for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember I worked with a guy who just didn't seem to be able to sense other peoples discomfort or take a hint.
    He would just talk and talk at you - conversations for him were one way, he would even interrupt you to tell you what he wants to tell you.
    Let's call him Glenn

Glenn : "Morning Hector, have a good weekend...?" (this was insincere , it was a way for him to get going)
    Me : "Fine Glenn yeah ... I went to .... "
    Glenn (interrupting - could see the disinterest and impatience on his face) : "Yeah ... what I did was ........ " < insert essay here... >

I would put on headphones , hide my face behind my monitor and he would just stand up so he could see me and continue talking ....

He also had an obsession with women, and actually would harass colleagues (only reason he didn't get fired was he was so good at what he did they couldn't let him go...)

But thats another story, jesus I should start a thread on him ...

Once I was at a party that he was invited to ... and walked by him talking to the hosts wife .... "My wife, she doesn't give me blow jobs" ... was the line I heard.
    Apparently the host got a dressing down from his wife - "I never wanna see that pervert in this house again" or words to that effect.

Been thinking of writing a sitcom on the guy ....

It's **** you just could not make up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I actually sorta like those people, a lot of the time I don't have the energy to chat or something and being able to listen to someone talk about something and not being expected to add anything can be weirdly relaxing

That can be true, when they are interesting or funny at least, but the guy I previously referenced was literally as boring as that priest in Father Ted.

Sometimes he would drag you out for a drink after work and I would actually get depressed listening to him - and think "What the actual f*ck am I doing here???!!"

fortunately there would be other colleagues there and he would usually start to "chat up" the barmaids.

Advertisement