Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clapping to be replaced by 'Jazz hands' at Manchester university

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Sounds filthy:D

No wonder they have jizz hands.

I had to google it, I wouldn't recommend it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Stop flying Ryanair to places like Magaluf.

Never been to Magaluf. Would you recommend it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Does this mean if a deaf person gives you the clap, you have to give them jizz hands ?

(i ran that joke past a deaf person, they thought it was funny, at least I think they did as they put their hands up in the air, so take it up with them if you dont like it )

Speaking of deaf people, in my many years the greatest single human expressions of joy I ever saw and to this day can still remember vividly was that of a deaf friend who played the piano. Yes unbelievable as it may sound she had achieved a fairly high level grade in piano despite being totally deaf (she was a very driven person high achiever person, working at MIT at the time). Anyways she underwent cochlear ear implant, and came to my house just after her surgery. I plugged in my keyboards , put the headphones on her and she played piano.

I never forget the look in her eye, I think i might have gotten a bit of dust in my own eye at the time, felt blessed to have witnessed it.

Imagine, 28 years of age, played piano all her life, and then one day she finally actually got to hear it what a piano sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Feisar wrote: »
    It does effect us though as crap like this is slowly chipping away at society's perception of what is normal.

PC gone mad is mad until it’s normal, then lots of it becomes good progress in society. Gay marriage was PC gone mad, mandatory seatbelts were health and safety gone mad, condoms were only for squares and wearing a helmet on a building site was health and safety gone mad.

Now those things are just normal progress for society. It wouldn’t fly to try to reverse those things but the ‘PC gone mad’ brigade still get to whinge every time something changes.

Im sure lots of people who voted no will/have already changed their minds but I doubt many will ever say they were wrong on gay marriage. Those people will just come to accept changes like gay marriage and realise there was nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Whats so great about Manchester University that had people clapping and whooping all the time anyway? :confused:

The only time I remember much "whooping" in college was whenever someone dropped a cup or plate and it smashed ..... so now if that happens and everyone does jazz hands instead .... they could end up dropping their cups/plates .... which will be met by more jazz hands .... which could cause more people to drop cups or plates ...... it'll be like never ending jazz hands until they run out of cups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Feisar wrote: »
    It does effect us though as crap like this is slowly chipping away at society's perception of what is normal.

It's not though. People want to think it is cos they want to have something to complain about. They pretend they don't but they do. Newspapers will print stupid stories like this because they know the "pc gone mad" brigade will lap it up. I'll give you €100 if this effects you in the next 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's not though. People want to think it is cos they want to have something to complain about. They pretend they don't but they do. Newspapers will print stupid stories like this because they know the "pc gone mad" brigade will lap it up. I'll give you €100 if this effects you in the next 10 years.

But it is PC gone mad. Not just that there is a brigade who thinks it is PC gone mad. It is mad. PC was bad enough, but was at a manageable level for a good few years. But it has escalated badly recently with snowflakes growing up and being part of PC going off the rails completely. It has possibly reached a critical mass unfortunately : the initial PC trend bred the snowflakes, who are so blinkered in a PC mindset that they dont know where to stop. Further accelerating bananas PC stuff.

Time for the those offended by PC to demand the offence they are subject to by the PC brigade/snowflakes ends and to launch a counter offensive defining a safe space for PC/snowflakes that doesnt infect the rest of the world ?

Well, I think so, and it should happen lickety-split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Time for the those offended by PC to demand the offence they are subject to by the PC brigade/snowflakes ends and to launch a counter offensive defining a safe space for PC/snowflakes that doesnt infect the rest of the world ?

Like universities you mean?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What do you do for a boo? Place your jazz hand thumbs to your temples and stick our your tongue?

wexie wrote: »
    Like universities you mean?

:D

Universities should be pc free zones.

Have fake universities for pc minded folk if they wish, and keep them all safe together.
    Anyway, I'm having a sambo, and will be back to this topic later.

• Advertisement

Yes, I meant sandwich. Of course I meant sandwich. Its lunchtime. Relax.

[

Well, I think so, and it should happen lickety-split.

That’s exactly what happening. The permanently offended are always banging on about the snowflakes and PC gone mad. Boards is full of the permanently offended slapping each other on the back for being outraged.

This thread is 9 pages old and I haven’t seen anyone who thinks that jazz hands is a good idea or that it will catch on.

I’d say there were always people who work to think outside the box and progress society and some ideas catch on where others don’t. The permanently offended are always going to be offended whether it’s a good idea or not.

Abolishing slavery was PC gone mad. Women’s suffrage was PC gone mad. Gay marriage was PC gone mad. It’s good that we don’t listen to the permanently offended.

Mate these turd brains want to ban clapping...it ain't outrage just bewilderment that spoilt first world sjws have to invent something that is 'oppressive'! Haha.
    Call it bewilderment if you like. 9 pages of bewilderment. And back slapping about how bewildered the permanently offended/bewildered are.

It’s uni students in a different country throwing around ideas. I won’t worry about it. You seem to be bewildered enough for the 2 of us lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I don't like ramps.
    I don't know, they have their ups and downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I don't like ramps.
    RustyNut wrote: »
    I don't know, they have their ups and downs.

Careful now, you could be on a slippery slope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

That’s exactly what happening. The permanently offended are always banging on about the snowflakes and PC gone mad. Boards is full of the permanently offended slapping each other on the back for being outraged.

This thread is 9 pages old and I haven’t seen anyone who thinks that jazz hands is a good idea or that it will catch on.

I’d say there were always people who work to think outside the box and progress society and some ideas catch on where others don’t. The permanently offended are always going to be offended whether it’s a good idea or not.

Abolishing slavery was PC gone mad. Women’s suffrage was PC gone mad. Gay marriage was PC gone mad. It’s good that we don’t listen to the permanently offended.

Is comparing slavery and clapping a boards first?

Is comparing slavery and clapping a boards first?
    Depends. If you actually read the post you’ll see it doesn't actually compare slavery to clapping. It compared the ‘PC gone mad’ reaction to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Depends. If you actually read the post you’ll see it doesn't actually compare slavery to clapping. It compared the ‘PC gone mad’ reaction to both.

Abolishment of slavery wasn't "PC gone mad".
    Women's suffrage wasn't "PC gone mad"
    Gay marriage wasn't "PC gone mad".

Changing applause to jazz hands is PC gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

This is why I both drink alcohol and hate people.

F*ck them and their applause

Abolishment of slavery wasn't "PC gone mad".
    Women's suffrage wasn't "PC gone mad"
    Gay marriage wasn't "PC gone mad".

Changing applause to jazz hands is PC gone mad.

Of course they were the equivalent of PC gone mad in their own time. They’re just accepted as good ideas now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Universities should be pc free zones.

Have fake universities for pc minded folk if they wish, and keep them all safe together.
    Anyway, I'm having a sambo, and will be back to this topic later.

If the don't have a pc, how will they learn computer skills or type their theses?

They might have to do that old fashioned writing thing again, though I thought that went out with the dinosaurs:)

Of course they were the equivalent of PC gone mad in their own time. They’re just accepted as good ideas now.

Actually they werent...you used seat belts and hard hats in your post...

Im old enough to remember the campaigns for mandatory seat belts and hard hats, they were well before PC became even a term, there was no one saying " they were PC gone mad " cos people hadnt even heard of PC ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Pretty easy solution.. do the Jazz hands, but then say "clap clap clap clap" over and over, or moan it if you have no tongue.

The blind, the hand-less, the tongue-less. All covered and not offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,057 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

SnazzyPig wrote: »
    What about students wih no hands?

Flair about epilectically.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

RIGOLO wrote: »

Actually they werent...you used seat belts and hard hats in your post...

Im old enough to remember the campaigns for mandatory seat belts and hard hats, they were well before PC became even a term, there was no one saying " they were PC gone mad " cos people hadnt even heard of PC ...

Ok. Now read the post again and pay particular attention to the bit that says ‘Of course they were the equivalent of PC gone mad in their own time.’

The seatbelts and hard hats were the equivalent of health and safety gone mad in their time (PC gone mad and health and safety gone mad are essentially the same thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are jazz hands PC though? According to the internet, the first documented incident came from a movie called The Jazz Singer from 1927.

If your spidey senses are tingling when you think of blacks in the US in 1927 performing in movies, here's the guy who performed the jazz hands (it's the one on the left).

330px-JazzSingerJackMother.jpg

Ok. Now read the post again and pay particular attention to the bit that says ‘Of course they were the equivalent of PC gone mad in their own time.’

The seatbelts and hard hats were the equivalent of health and safety gone mad in their time (PC gone mad and health and safety gone mad are essentially the same thing)

Nope,
    the campaigns were presented as SAFETY campaigns and were pretty well accepted by the majority of people without much complaint at the time.
    Of course there were a few outliers who didnt like their right to make theire own decisions being infringed upon.

But there was no 'equivalent of PC gone mad reaction' .
    The PC gone mad reaction came about 10 years later, when PC did go mad and continues to do so.

RIGOLO wrote: »

Nope,
    the campaigns were presented as SAFETY campaigns and were pretty well accepted by the majority of people without much complaint at the time.
    Of course there were a few outliers who didnt like their right to make theire own decisions being infringed upon.

But there was no 'equivalent of PC gone mad reaction' .
    The PC gone mad reaction came about 10 years later, when PC did go mad and continues to do so.

Classic revisionism. In a couple of decades the same will be said of gay marriage too.

If you actually think change was good when you were young but change now is mad, then you’re falling for the commonest tricks age plays on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You really do talk some shyte.

And if there is any offense around here it is what you are doing to rational debate. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I read the the thread tittle and thought it said clamping was going to replaced with jazz hands.

Advertisement