Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clapping to be replaced by 'Jazz hands' at Manchester university

Options
  • 02-10-2018 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭

This is to make it more inclusive of those with sensory issues and disabilities apparently. But seems to exclude maybe visually impaired people who won't see or hear anything. or anyone who may feel uncomfortable with people flailing their arms around en masse.

Should it be introduced in the wider world? How will these people cope when they attend a concert or performance outside university where clapping is allowed if not? Or should they just have to get used to it or wear something to block the sound as many already do? Clapping and cheering and are a normal part of human behaviour, will definitely take a while to re train people.

Seems to me that what with the widespread trend of 'no platforming' of people who don't agree with the majority view and stuff like this, British university students are going to get a big shock when they enter the real world

Clapping and whooping have been banned at Manchester University 's Students' Union in move to make student events more accessible.

The traditional form of clapping has been ditched in favour of the British Sign Language (BSL) equivalent, known to many as 'jazz hands'.

The union say the loud noise created by clapping, including whooping and traditional applause, can pose an issue for students with disabilities such as anxiety or sensory issues.

From now on people will be urged to use quiet BSL clapping, or jazz hands, at student events including debates, panels and talks.

It means students will wave their hands in the air, rather than clapping or cheering.

The union said democratic processes, such as student senate, should be accessible to all students, including those with disabilities

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/clapping-banned-jazz-hands-university-15223965

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

More accessible to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The gobsh1tes

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

What about students wih no hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jazzzzz club

Mmmmmmmm nice

SnazzyPig wrote: »

Jazz limbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They probably didn't make it past the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

They didn’t clap either......

Or if they're blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Or blind students. What if the blind student did the most amazing, ground breaking presentation of all time and all they were met with was silence?

Or blind students. What if the blind student did the most amazing, ground breaking presentation of all time and all they were met with was silence?

Call it awed reverence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

What will now be the equivalent of the slow clap?

The slow raising of fingers and arms?

Where's the irony in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    British university students are going to get a big shock when they enter the real world

Cause there's people there that are allowed to disagree with them and tell em they're full of ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

As they say 'I can't even'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

While it means a change of habits for some, I dont think anyone can argue that audible-clapping is now so offensive and excluding of others, that jazz-hands is a very sensible solution. Get with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

wexie wrote: »
    Cause there's people there that are allowed to disagree with them and tell em they're full of ****?

I can only imagine the tantrums they will throw when they realise the world doesn't bend to their will. I'm starting to see the truth of the term "snowflake"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Who decided that clapping is offensive?

(Is it because white males clap?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

But we can still give the middle finger right?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Seems to me that what with the widespread trend of 'no platforming' of people who don't agree with the majority view and stuff like this, British university students are going to get a big shock when they enter the real world.

More a question of ‘if’, rather than ‘when’ really. The types of people who support this nonsense, thankfully for the rest of us, never venture outside the bounds of their own circle-jerk.

I’d only seen this once before in my life and that was a couple of years back when I figured for the craic I’d head to one of those ‘Occupy’ meetings, and they did the whole shaking hands thing. I made my excuses and left, and given their lack of success in actually achieving anything of note, I suggest leaving them to themselves, they’re the very definition of the word ‘harmless’.

More a question of ‘if’, rather than ‘when’ really. The types of people who support this nonsense, thankfully for the rest of us, never venture outside the bounds of their own circle-jerk.

I’d only seen this once before in my life and that was a couple of years back when I figured for the craic I’d head to one of those ‘Occupy’ meetings, and they did the whole shaking hands thing. I made my excuses and left, and given their lack of success in actually achieving anything of note, I suggest leaving them to themselves, they’re the very definition of the word ‘harmless’.

Legends in their own minds.

Nope. You'll be up before the Senate House Committe for that or else charged with sexual assault in about 15 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I presume this is the allow people on the autism spectrum to better integrate in mainstream education. I think some retailers have quiet hours for people to bring their autistic children shopping. Introduce a degree of normalcy into their lives. I don't see the issue really.

Clapping annoys me something fierce so hopefully this is the start of a movement.

While it means a change of habits for some, I dont think anyone can argue that audible-clapping is now so offensive and excluding of others, that jazz-hands is a very sensible solution. Get with it.

Until someone comes along and claims that jazz hands are actually cultural appropriation and offensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's disrespectful to the Jazz dance community. Jazz hands is their gesture. I say no to cultural appropriation.

I presume this is the allow people on the autism spectrum to better integrate in mainstream education. I think some retailers have quiet hours for people to bring their autistic children shopping. Introduce a degree of normalcy into their lives. I don't see the issue really.

Quiet hours and events are not the same as expecting people to limit normal noise and behaviour all the time.

I actually highly doubt any person on the spectrum or with sensory issues has actually asked for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I think everyone should break wind. Everyone has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's disrespectful to the Jazz dance community. Jazz hands is their gesture. I say no to cultural appropriation.

I dont think you have to be into jazz culture to be entitled to jazz-hands.
    Its an all inclusive applaud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

they will go into shock with the offence

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

An entirely disingenuous argument really given that the whole idea of intergrating people with disabilities into mainstream education and introducing a degree of normalcy into their lives is not to treat them like their disability defines them. What’s more likely driving this new policy is a small lobby group of people who want to drive conformity to their standards, creating their own paradigm where people who are normal must behave like they have a disability. It’ll all blow over when the money dries up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is this for real??

Advertisement