Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Football Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Marley and Marley

2 far more simple rule changes should have been introuduced.

1) Game becomes a 13 a side game which is my opinion should have happened at least 15 years ago.

2) Set a limit on the number of players allowed in the defensive half of the field. I'd suggest 4 out of 15 (if my first suggestion doesn't happen) or 3 out of 13 players must stay inside the 65 of the goal they are attacking at all times.

The blanket defence is the problem every other issue stems from this and they just need to legislate the blanket defence out of the game, the rules the committe came up are just making things unnecessarily complicated.Legislate the blanket defence out of the game and you can think of other amendments after this i.e. attacking mark , handpass restriction but without getting rid of the blanekt defence nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

quidel wrote: »
    Saw the new rules in Breffni today. Don’t think they have added anything positive. Not sure there was and advanced mark in the game. Still plenty of kicking the ball across and backwards unfortunately. Down broke through the middle and created a great goal opportunity for themselves but alas got called back due to one handpass too many. Limiting the options for a player in such a decisive attacking move is counter productive. Hopefully sense prevails and the new rules are abandoned very quickly!

I happened to catch a game and saw them in action. Same as yourself, a tremendous amount of passing backwards once out of hand passing options. If anything, it favoured the blanket defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭C__MC

When Kilkenny dominated hurling between 2000-2015, I never once saw a hurling commitee set up to make their game better with rule changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

C__MC wrote: »
    When Kilkenny dominated hurling between 2000-2015, I never once saw a hurling commitee set up to make their game better with rule changes

Cody was on top of any whisper of such goings on!

In fairness he also made it clear that he opposed changes to the league and championship which on one hand favoured certain counties who thought they were above being relegated, and on the other effectively put a stop to Westmeath when they were on verge of going places in mid noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

C__MC wrote: »

True but the biggest call for change in hurling was towards the end of KK dominance when the sweepers started to take hold. Thank god that has regressed. Teams do have to try things out somewhat when all else fails. Yes it was boring to see the same winner year in year out but there were also some good games that tend to be forgotten when the eventual winner is the same. If Dublin were beaten by Tyrone in 2018 it would have been enough to paper over the cracks that have been in football for a long time. Excitement is often confused with quality and especially in Gaelic football.

• Advertisement

The negative elements in hurling have generally been dealt with by enforcing the existing rules.

I liked that Kilkenny team but they exploited the failure of refs mostly to deal with stuff like holding the stick up towards an oncoming players throat. When refs started to penalise that it generally stopped.

A lot of the negativity in football has been time wasting and diving and in fairness refs are not as tolerant as they were perhaps. Bad and mediocre teams have always tried to stop better teams by negative tactics. Just so happens that the ultra blanket is the current weapon of choice. Not much can be done really and the new rules encourage it. so where do you go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The new hand pass rule isn't good for the game. It's destroyed nice inter passing, the 2 foot footpass is a real crowd pleaser. I can't wait to see that all year.

I know it's only January but this rule would really make me consider not going to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ten minutes into the O'Byrne Cup Final.

One score.

Referee has twice missed handpass rule being broken, one by each side.

No sign that the massed defence has been in any way discommoded by the new rules.

Much more difficult for the attacking team.

Time to end the madness of the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

blanch152 wrote: »

One score.

No sign that the massed defence has been in any way discommoded by the new rules.

Dire, but it might open up soon.

A lot of low score is down to poor forward play by Dublin and good Westmeath defence. Game looks good with a lot of pace and foot passes until they get inside opposition 40 and the handpass is needed. Westies using possession better so far.

Ref has missed extra handpass on a few occasions. Imagine trying to enforce it in slbu game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

blanch152 wrote: »

One score.

The kick after the 3rd or 4th hand pass is usually backwards - so much for trying to entice attacking play :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

RMAOK wrote: »
    The kick after the 3rd or 4th hand pass is usually backwards - so much for trying to entice attacking play :rolleyes:

Noticed that quite a few times, attacking player turned back rather than risk a turnover.

Only seen the two Dublin games. What is noticeable is that first half seems to be open with a lot of movement and kick passing but slows noticeably in second half. Much easier to defend a lead when defence just has to wait for opposition to run into dead end.

Will be interesting to see how league goes given the higher stakes and counties fielding teams closer to those that will see the championship. I suspect some like Dublin will not put a lot of effort into it given that new rules will not apply in Summer and hopefully never again after April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

My opinion on the new rules, they’re shoite!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how league goes given the higher stakes and counties fielding teams closer to those that will see the championship. I suspect some like Dublin will not put a lot of effort into it given that new rules will not apply in Summer and hopefully never again after April.

Isn't there a meeting about them tomorrow night? This weekend might be the last time these news rules will be used (for now anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Isn't there a meeting about them tomorrow night? This weekend might be the last time these news rules will be used (for now anyways).

Yep. All the rules being voted on tomorrow plus the Donegal motion I believe.

Touch wood!

I assumed they were going to use them for league regardless of how pre-season went?

Hopefully, the evidence so far will mean a decision not to proceed any further. The only change I would see any positive in would be sin bin. Rest are all negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just heard the hand pass rule is gone for the league.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Just heard the hand pass rule is gone for the league.

That's good news imo - it inspired backwards kicking and also a lot of confusion on the part of the players and the officials.

Confirmation here.

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/central-council-decide-not-to-continue-with-hand-pass-rule/

Can't find a link but my mate told me the vote was very close on the hand pass rule.

25 delegates as opposed to 23 delegates voted in favour of it's abolition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

seligehgit wrote: »
    Confirmation here.

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/central-council-decide-not-to-continue-with-hand-pass-rule/

Can't find a link but my mate told me the vote was very close on the hand pass rule.

25 delegates as opposed to 23 delegates voted in favour of it's abolition.

I read somewhere yesterday that 90% of the players wanted the hand pass rule scrapped but of course theses decisions aren't made by those that play the game.

I read somewhere yesterday that 90% of the players wanted the hand pass rule scrapped but of course theses decisions aren't made by those that play the game.

Only saw one person quoted out of quite a long list of players and managers who supported the hand pass rule.

But of course the Kom-eye-tea men know best :)

Offensive mark looks a bit stupid to me. Was one last night and the Westmeath player who got it would most likely have scored anyway, or maybe even laid off for a goal. It is one of things that makes Aussie rules a borefest so what is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Only saw one person quoted out of quite a long list of players and managers who supported the hand pass rule.

But of course the Kom-eye-tea men know best :)

Offensive mark looks a bit stupid to me. Was one last night and the Westmeath player who got it would most likely have scored anyway, or maybe even laid off for a goal. It is one of things that makes Aussie rules a borefest so what is the point?

The argument could be made that the pre season leagues is too small a sample size for the new rules and that extending them into the NFL would give a better view of how they work

I am against the hand-pass rule and the offensive mark (if it is a case that the player that wins the mark cannot immediately play on) but I think the introduction of new rules needs to be better co-ordinated that these are

Maybe make them compulsory for a full under-age season (u-17, u-120), commit to them for the full year and then see how they work or don't work.

The argument could be made that the pre season leagues is too small a sample size for the new rules and that extending them into the NFL would give a better view of how they work

I am against the hand-pass rule and the offensive mark (if it is a case that the player that wins the mark cannot immediately play on) but I think the introduction of new rules needs to be better co-ordinated that these are

Maybe make them compulsory for a full under-age season (u-17, u-120), commit to them for the full year and then see how they work or don't work.

Last night the ref missed several breaches of hand pass rule on both sides. I just can't see how it would even have been enforced apart altogether from its negative impact on play. Imagine the furore if ref missed an over carry in a big game that led to a score! How are they supposed to rectify it without turning game into a farce?

Anyway, it is gone and only pity is it took any sort of inter county trial to confirm what 95% thought from the start. Everyone other than the panel and some of those who appointed them it seems!

Sin bin is worth a try as means to better penalise cynical play, and it doesn't negatively impact on how the game is actually played; will be a positive even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I will keep watching the hurling then. Football is now unwatchable.

ebbsy wrote: »

Unfortunately the hand pass rule was unworkable but I sympathise with David Hassan and the committee's efforts to find a solution to the dearth of the foot pass in gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ebbsy wrote: »

They might stop lads throwing the sliotar in hurling too

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    They might stop lads throwing the sliotar in hurling too

That is endemic in hurling too, tbf. It's done at such speed that referees can't see it 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Might aswell get rid of the offensive mark while they are at it. Its pointless now no one will dare kick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

That is endemic in hurling too, tbf. It's done at such speed that referees can't see it 90% of the time.

You mean its done at such speed that its hard to tell if its a throw or not. The ratio of handpasses to stick passes in hurling is nothing like the ratio hand pass to kick in football. The problem is not so much the execution but the quantity.

Advertisement