Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Bus Connects take cars off M50

Options
  • 01-10-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi,
    I currently commute from Lucan to Sandyford on the M50 by car.
    Until recently the company was in the city centre, so the bus commute was a lot less stressful.
    Will bus connect connect place like lucan, tallaght and Dublin west to Sandyford and Dublin South.
    TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jos_kel

I doubt it.

Would probably make too much sense

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the orbitals will have some impact. Citywest and the Baldonnell industrial estates get much better connected for instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It will make sure mine is on the road even more now as I'll drive in to the city and use a multi storey rather than take a couple of buses in.

For any orbital stuff or stuff out around the M50, car always. No contest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, the thing with Bus Connects is, that it's setup to encourage transfers. You'll be able to do that journey you were thinking of, without going to town, but you'd be doing so many transfers, you'd be better off going through town, or trying to transfer onto the Luas Greenline.

• Advertisement

Well, the thing with Bus Connects is, that it's setup to encourage transfers. You'll be able to do that journey you were thinking of, without going to town, but you'd be doing so many transfers, you'd be better off going through town, or trying to transfer onto the Luas Greenline.

Sorry I’m confused. How would this make it easier to get from Lucan to Sandyford.

jos_kel wrote: »
    Sorry I’m confused. How would this make it easier to get from Lucan to Sandyford.

I think you really should have done the thread title "How will Busconnects affect getting from Lucan to Sandyford" rather than "Will Bus Connects take cars off M50".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hi,
    I currently commute from Lucan to Sandyford on the M50 by car.
    Until recently the company was in the city centre, so the bus commute was a lot less stressful.
    Will bus connect connect place like lucan, tallaght and Dublin west to Sandyford and Dublin South.
    TIA

If you are commuting from Lucan to Sandyford, Busconnects will give you the option of taking the W4 to Tallaght and the S8 to Sandyford, avoiding the City Centre entirely.

certainly bus connects will give the car much more of a challenge as a mode for orbital journeys such as yours. I think cars for radial journeys are more less finished. Certainly under bus connects there'll be a sufficient number of car bans in the city centre to make a regular radial car commute unbearable.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It will make sure mine is on the road even more now as I'll drive in to the city and use a multi storey rather than take a couple of buses in.

Under bus connects, I can't see how a suburb-City Centre journey would require more than one change?

with cars banned from the quays, Parliament st and George's st, I don't see many people sticking with the car.

he'll only need to change once in Tallaght for a Lucan-Sandyford journey.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Under bus connects, I can't see how a suburb-City Centre journey would require more than one change?

with cars banned from the quays, Parliament st and George's st, I don't see many people sticking with the car.

It won't take more than one change, it will take one change. Which is one more than it takes now so I'd rather just bring the car.

he'll only need to change once in Tallaght for a Lucan-Sandyford journey.

Depends on where. As each area is focused by local feeder routes to hubs.

It won't take more than one change, it will take one change. Which is one more than it takes now so I'd rather just bring the car.

Ok, but with more and more car bans on City streets to accommodate faster buses and bicycle journeys, the length of a peak hour car trip will become unbearable for most. Also at present the NTA and DoT are considering ways to discourage such journeys, taxing companies that provide staff parking in a certain area will probably be a preferred option rather than a flat out congestion charge.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ok, but with more and more car bans on City streets to accommodate faster buses and bicycle journeys, the length of a peak hour car trip will become unbearable for most. Also at present the NTA and DoT are considering ways to discourage such journeys, taxing companies that provide staff parking in a certain area will probably be a preferred option rather than a flat out congestion charge.

I can also easily imagine that once BusConnects is bedded in, the price of parking, both on street and in multi stories will be increased. Not massively to start out with, but steadily increased over a number of years.

Coupled with automated enforcement of bus lanes, it'll provide enough of a deterrent to make more people consider the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I doubt Bus Connects will even exist. At least nothing like the current balls up they have proposed.

And not for years.

I doubt Bus Connects will even exist. At least nothing like the current balls up they have proposed.

And not for years.

It's a pretty solid plan. Only a handful of notable negative consequences. 92% of commuters will retain direct buses to the City Centre, and gain improved orbital access and everyone will benefit from improved frequency. The small issues e.g. Donebate and xpresso services can easily be corrected.

If they're banned they're banned fair enough, have to stick with the rules. But if they're not then I'll be in a car if at all possible once this starts.

If you are commuting from Lucan to Sandyford, Busconnects will give you the option of taking the W4 to Tallaght and the S8 to Sandyford, avoiding the City Centre entirely..

Thanks, I guess it’s too early to guesstimate how long such a commute would take.
    Currently it can take 40 to 90 minutes by car depending on various factors.
    Consistency of duration would be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There’ll always be the heroes....

If they're banned they're banned fair enough, have to stick with the rules. But if they're not then I'll be in a car if at all possible once this starts.

It wont be possible to drive on the quays for a good stretch, or george's st and a whole host of other streets will have car lanes converted to bus and cycle lanes. So while your journey by car may be technically possible, the time penalty and financial penalty will be quite extensive. Why would drive a journey that can be completed quicker and cheaper by bus?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I guess it’s too early to guesstimate how long such a commute would take.
    Currently it can take 40 to 90 minutes by car depending on various factors.
    Consistency of duration would be an improvement

The Lucan to Tallaght leg of the journey should be pretty fast due to continuous bus lane. Say 15-20 mins. The Tallaght - Sandyford leg goes through some narrow roads at places, that could take about half an hour. Purely at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Why would drive a journey that can be completed quicker and cheaper by bus?

Pat is convinced that the changing of bus will make the journey by public transport untenable. Given that his interchange is Blanchardstown SC he might not be wrong - if the route re-organisation elements of BC precede the infrastructural elements/bus lanes etc.

Pat is convinced that the changing of bus will make the journey by public transport untenable. Given that his interchange is Blanchardstown SC he might not be wrong - if the route re-organisation elements of BC precede the infrastructural elements/bus lanes etc.

The suburban interchanges will likely be built first, before any road widening due to their importance and the ease with which land ownership can be dealt with compared to road widening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

What's so bad about having to change busses once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Possibly for 10-15 minutes unless bus frequency is increased on present system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You live in Dunboyne right? Just wondering why you wouldn't you use the train instead of going by bus is that not a quicker and easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the M50 will still be full of people who believe many of the other drivers should take the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We regularly have to drive to Cathal Brugha St from Harold's Cross with large boxes of equipment in the car. There is no way we could take a bus. How would we be able to continue this journey if they prevent cars driving on the quays?

It wont be possible to drive on the quays for a good stretch, or george's st and a whole host of other streets will have car lanes converted to bus and cycle lanes. So while your journey by car may be technically possible, the time penalty and financial penalty will be quite extensive. Why would drive a journey that can be completed quicker and cheaper by bus?

Quicker and cheaper doesn't necessarily mean better. Having a one bus trip just pushed it over the edge of being preferable to a car but not having that makes sitting in your own car a better prospect.
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    What's so bad about having to change busses once?

Because that one change will be at Blanchardstown Center which will resemble something from a Tokyo train station.
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    You live in Dunboyne right? Just wondering why you wouldn't you use the train instead of going by bus is that not a quicker and easier option.

The train leaves you (well me, for where I'd be going anyway) in such a place that you'd need to be finding further transport anyway.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    We regularly have to drive to Cathal Brugha St from Harold's Cross with large boxes of equipment in the car. There is no way we could take a bus. How would we be able to continue this journey if they prevent cars driving on the quays?

Through an extensive diversion no doubt. Maybe around the canals and in via Summerhill I'd imagine.

Advertisement