Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Kathmandu airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Not a billboard but I spotted this poster in a window of a town house on the street.
    It highlights the disconnect between domesticated pets and domesticated farm animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

auspicious wrote: »
    Not a billboard but I spotted this poster in a window of a town house on the street.
    It highlights the disconnect between domesticated pets and domesticated farm animals.

Made all the more powerful by the soft focus, storybook, “aww” artwork. Brilliant.

Love that.

A picture paints a thousand words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Made all the more powerful by the soft focus, storybook, “aww” artwork. Brilliant.

Art is also well known as being part of the science of persuasion

See:
    https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~khals22d/classweb/worldpol2010/worldpol2010/Propaganda.html

gozunda wrote: »
    Art is also well known as being part of the science of persuasion

See:
    https://www.mtholyoke.edu/~khals22d/classweb/worldpol2010/worldpol2010/Propaganda.html

Propaganda is biased or misleading.
    The picture is totally objective and a true representation of the contemporary status quo. That is why it is so striking.

Propaganda is biased or misleading.The picture is totally objective and a true representation of the contemporary status quo. That is why it is so striking.

Not so. Traditionally such methods present information in an emotional rather than a objective manner through the use of loaded language and imagery or the presenting of facts selectively.

In this example emotively appealing (soft focus animals etc) and shocking (man with knife plus cat) imagery are employed together. The art attempts to convey a rejection of the idea that animals and humans eat certain animals but not all. Using this isolated imagery - it completely ignores the fact that the eating of meat by all species is a part of entrophy and the recycling of energy within ecology or as you put it 'the contemporary status quo"

Dont get me wrong btw - I understand what the art is doing. It is more that the simple child's story book quality of the image shows that it has been created to persuade emotionally at that level. The idea and treatment are oversimplified

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

Boston

London Underground.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    London Underground.

Tbh hard to tell if thats just your normal muddy / dirty pig or the dirt and grime which covers everything on the London underground? From first hand experience pigs love to wallow in mud and get themselves nice and dirty to keep the flies off etc - so I'll go for the first one. I've came across some really fantastic free range pig farms in the UK with really high welfare standards - where they are a relatively common sight in the countryside. Never seen such happy pigs tbh :)

I also see that the govegsn promotion unit now appear to have some competition from 'switchtovegsn'? Some other bunch coming up with the slogans now? Though the website detailed doesnt appear to exist? Certainly there doesn't seem to be as many as previous...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Have to hand it to you Gozunda, you have some amount of spare time on your hands

Have to hand it to you Gozunda, you have some amount of spare time on your hands

Lol - afaik my stats show approx just 3 posts a day & haven't posted here in nearly three weeks. Is that a lot? Not that's relevant to you or the other usual few who seem to prefer to attack the poster. Fairly pathetic really ...

If you like there are a bunch of posters on boards with well over half a dozen posts a day - maybe you'd like to highlight them for being lazy arsed ****es as well?

Why is it someone comments on a post here and bizarrely some don't like that. Why is that pt?

Tbh I always find the following a useful guide to constructive discussion. Maybe that's just me though. From the boards.ie faq page...
    Comment on the post not the poster.
    Responding to someone's point with personal attacks, regardless of how "witty" you think they are, is not big or clever. It just comes across, at best, as being an ass and at worst a bully with a small doodah (we mean “mind” of course).

It’s much better to stay on the topic of their post, not on the person who posted it. People will respect you for that, take your opinion more seriously, and you put the ball back in their court to answer your points.

Abuse is tantamount to saying, "You have beaten me with your argument; I can only resort to name calling."

Another.

Another.

Interesting poster that Tilikum. WWJD - Which if my tour of the bible belt (when I was in the US) stands for "What Would Jesus Do". That and the quoted commandment (with the added bit) makes it appear that the billboard campaign has gone a bit religous no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting poster that Tilikum. WWJD - Which if my tour of the bible belt (when I was in the US) stands for "What Would Jesus Do". That and the quoted commandment (with the added bit) makes it appear that the billboard campaign has gone a bit religous no?

I'd like to know the location. If it's a conservative part of America or Australia it is probably just playing to the audience as there is plenty of videos out of there of people using god and bible as their reason for eating meat

Toronto

Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

On my walk home from work yesterday, I saw a large Go Vegan World anti-dairy billboard on a street just off Barrack Street in Cork City (as you go up the hill). I was delighted to see it. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    On my walk home from work yesterday, I saw a large Go Vegan World anti-dairy billboard on a street just off Barrack Street (as you go up the hill). I was delighted to see it. :-)

Saw one at a bus shelter this morning myself in Galway. A dairy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

On my walk home from work yesterday, I saw a large Go Vegan World anti-dairy billboard on a street just off Barrack Street (as you go up the hill). I was delighted to see it. :-)

Just a question for you.
    Who is the target of that ad?
    Is it joe soap who's putting stewing beef in their shopping basket
    Or is it people like yourself, to reinforce your ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

On my walk home from work yesterday, I saw a large Go Vegan World anti-dairy billboard on a street just off Barrack Street in Cork City (as you go up the hill). I was delighted to see it. :-)

Saw that yesterday too,
    It was the "dairy takes calves from their mother" one, personally I'd love to add "and then eats them.... Hhhhmmmm steak"
    Just so we're all on the same page...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Saw that yesterday too,
    It was the "dairy takes calves from their mother" one

Yep, that's the one.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

ganmo wrote: »
    Just a question for you.
    Who is the target of that ad?
    Is it joe soap who's putting stewing beef in their shopping basket
    Or is it people like yourself, to reinforce your ideas?

I don't need my ideas reinforced. I'm happy to see the sign as it might get people thinking more about their food choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I don't need my ideas reinforced. I'm happy to see the sign as it might get people thinking more about their food choices.

I don't particularly like the ads, (and I am a meat eater), but I can see where you're coming from about thinking more about the origins of the food we eat, and why we eat it...
    No bad thing...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Can you please make this thread vegetarian/vegan only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Can you please me this thread vegetarian/vegan only.

And she tastes delicious

Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Berlin

Emm...Berlin?
    Either it's not berlin or the ad agency forgot to translate it

• Advertisement

I think the added text is the only passive aggressive aspect in this image. The message on the billboard only allows readers to objectively break the stereotype.

Advertisement