Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of #metoo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

when a dozen people from your class call you out then you have not been entirely truthful. He is interviewing to be a supreme court justice. a job he will hold for life and cannot be removed from. Total honesty is to be expected.

There are over 3000 federal judges.

If you think you get to the top of a 3000 man pile by being squeaky clean then your expectations and reality are a little distant from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CruelCoin wrote: »
    There are over 3000 federal judges.

If you think you get to the top of a 3000 man pile by being squeaky clean then your expectations and reality are a little distant from each other.

I dont expect him to be squeaky clean. I expect him to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Doesn't matter who you believe, all that matters is if there is evidence to prove an allegation. That's how the legal system was designed because as much as we think people are generally honest and trustworthy, a substantial amount of people will lie and deceive for attention, power, politics or money, others may be unwilling due to mental illness etc. Onus is on the accuser to provide proof, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who you believe, all that matters is if there is evidence to prove an allegation. That's how the legal system was designed because as much as we think people are generally honest and trustworthy, a substantial amount of people will lie and deceive for attention, power, politics or money, others may be unwilling due to mental illness etc. Onus is on the accuser to provide proof, not the other way around.

If you've lived in the world any length of time, you will come across all of the above and more. In both genders and LGBTQ+, all political parties, religions, you name it too. Don't understand how so many people are naive about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It really is getting laughable at this stage.........

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1047161282246234112

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Dick Swiveller

It really is getting laughable at this stage.........

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1047161282246234112

All this nonsense is just ensuring Trump's re-election in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

I'm so disappointed that so many people are willing to ruin someone's life based on zero evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm so disappointed that so many people are willing to ruin someone's life based on zero evidence.
    yeah but he's a SWM on Trump's team so he's fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Stoolcup wrote: »

Yeah, totally agree, they have zero shame and many liberals are walking away from the democratic party in the states because of how they have acted since Trump's election. Laughable that they consider themselves progressive.

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1046411747563896832

https://twitter.com/IWF/status/1047144762799808512

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Stoolcup wrote: »

A very similar situation occurred with Anita Hill, the following year became known as the 'year of the woman' because of the large amount of female senators elected... That's the closest reference point we have for a situation such as this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Yeah, totally agree, they have zero shame and many liberals are walking away from the democratic party in the states because of how they have acted since Trump's election. Laughable that they consider themselves progressive.

They claim none of this is political, whilst they sat Alyssa Milano directly in the camera shot behind Kavanaugh where she held up signs and made stupid faces. That was a small room with limited seating. Why was she there? Who invited her? Senator Dianne Feinstein, the same person we're supposed to believe that she had nothing to do with the letter leaking to the press. Democrats in the US really make me sick to my stomach, they have no morals at all, no talking points, only selective moral outrage and hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yeah, totally agree, they have zero shame and many liberals are walking away from the democratic party in the states because of how they have acted since Trump's election.

Ah yes, the famed #WalkAway campaign. Astroturfing at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

when a dozen people from your class call you out then you have not been entirely truthful. He is interviewing to be a supreme court justice. a job he will hold for life and cannot be removed from. Total honesty is to be expected.
    And yet, he most likely told the truth about not trying to rape Dr. Ford.

The Mitchell report makes it clear that the accusations are not reliable.

Since the Mitchell report was published, more inconsistencies have emerged, including the likelihood that Dr. Ford lied about her history with polygraph testing in the past.

Between the stated objective of the Democrats to keep any further Trump nominees of the Supreme Court, at any cost, the political timing of the leaking of the allegations, the age of the accusations, the constant changes in the story, the inexplicable gaps, the two men who came forward and admitted it was them, not Kavanaugh or Judge, ... how much more do you need before you say "something is hinky here?"

Seriously, how much evidence that you need that this very likely to be a simple political hit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Ann Sterzinger is a writer I follow. She is a mouthy, brassy, tough lady at the best of times but she really lays it on the line in this article calling out the attention-seeking metoo victims of 'rapey' misadventures who have thoroughly messed up the word rape for people like her who are actually brutally violated. Bravo, Ann.

https://medium.com/@annsterzinger/sisters-from-a-real-rape-victim-to-metoo-5e11cab66a36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Zorya wrote: »
    Ann Sterzinger is a writer I follow. She is a mouthy, brassy, tough lady at the best of times but she really lays it on the line in this article calling out the attention-seeking metoo victims of 'rapey' misadventures who have thoroughly messed up the word rape for people like her who are actually brutally violated. Bravo, Ann.

https://medium.com/@annsterzinger/sisters-from-a-real-rape-victim-to-metoo-5e11cab66a36

Grim reading, she makes the point very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I dont expect him to be squeaky clean. I expect him to be honest.

Honesty, Morality, Integrity.... things you find less and less these days. Certainly barely existent in the legal and political circles.

#MeToo is actively hindering women's careers on Wall Street as men have begun to avoid being in female company or mentoring them, out of fear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/a-wall-street-rule-for-the-metoo-era-avoid-women-at-all-cost?fbclid=IwAR1qFjF8gmxLy1W49V3xcb-Vhe8PsTyhIe6AKmxI4FlzG8O7jJ5LwiY5B1c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

#MeToo is actively hindering women's careers on Wall Street as men have begun to avoid being in female company or mentoring them, out of fear.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/a-wall-street-rule-for-the-metoo-era-avoid-women-at-all-cost?fbclid=IwAR1qFjF8gmxLy1W49V3xcb-Vhe8PsTyhIe6AKmxI4FlzG8O7jJ5LwiY5B1c

It's actually going to a state of nonsense like where airlines don't want to sit unaccompanied minors next to men, basically all men are being viewed as potential rapists and pedophiles. What a sad society we have become.

theguzman wrote: »
    It's actually going to a state of nonsense like where airlines don't want to sit unaccompanied minors next to men, basically all men are being viewed as potential rapists and pedophiles. What a sad society we have become.

unintended-consequences.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's actually going to a state of nonsense like where airlines don't want to sit unaccompanied minors next to men, basically all men are being viewed as potential rapists and pedophiles.

Well, they are. Potentially.

As usual, segregation results.

Brand all white people racist? Black graduations.
    Brand all men rapists? Female isolation?

I avoid being in elevators with female students in the last year, cause one student joked about falsly accusing another student. That will just transfer into the workplace.

I avoid being in elevators with female students in the last year, cause one student joked about falsly accusing another student. That will just transfer into the workplace.

The behaviour of sizeable minority of younger women today could be best described as mercenary and I don't blame you one little bit.

I know a guy who was asked for drives to and from work from a female colleague living nearby him, he just refused and neatly covered his own ass by blaming his GF that she wouldn't approve, truth was the same guy would have gladly done this 3-4 years ago but as he said you can trust absolutely no woman today, which isn't true but a huge air of suspicion has crept into inter-sexual relations because of gender-identity politics and political correctness.

I'm not often in the city, any city, but I was passing through Dublin not too long ago and stopped in for lunch at Govindas (because it's vegetarian). Anyways, there were two young female students at the table next to mine and for an hour I listened to them emote and gasp and expound theatrically about a ''rape'' accusation one of them was going to initiate against a fellow they had had sex with at a party. I got the blow by blow account because they were so shrill. It was not a case of rape at all, but of regret. Nonetheless the friend had the 'victim' completely psyched up. The boy would be destroyed. It was disturbing to listen to this conjured hysteria from modern young adults. Especially as the mother of young men. God forbid that they would ever meet such brain-washed girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The behaviour of sizeable minority of younger women today could be best described as mercenary and I don't blame you one little bit.

I know a guy who was asked for drives to and from work from a female colleague living nearby him, he just refused and neatly covered his own ass by blaming his GF that she wouldn't approve, truth was the same guy would have gladly done this 3-4 years ago but as he said you can trust absolutely no woman today, which isn't true but a huge air of suspicion has crept into inter-sexual relations because of gender-identity politics and political correctness.

A female journalist was debating your very point today with Ivana Bacik.

The tenet of her argument was that women can now make whatever allegation they like against men and there does not need to be charges proffered, or court procedures instigated or jail time. And in a lot of incidents there is none of the above and no need for any of the above.

What is guaranteed however,she argued, is that the man's life and credibility is always destroyed on foot of those claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Does anybody personally know anyone wrongly accused of sexual harassment?
    Does anyone personally know anyone who was sexually harassed?

I wonder what the number of lying women are to men carrying out sexual harassment.
    Do we think we should all be George Hook about it or call it out if we see it, despite the assumption of guilt on the one accusing or the one accused, depending on your audience?

It's uncomfortable having to change your attitude.

Fann Linn wrote: »

The tenet of her argument was that women can now make whatever allegation they like against men and there does not need to be charges proffered, or court procedures instigated or jail time. And in a lot of incidents there is none of the above and no need for any of the above.

What is guaranteed however,she argued, is that the man's life and credibility is always destroyed on foot of those claims.

Guilty until proven innocent and then if found innocent some leftwing feminists will protest calling for your lynching as seen after high profile court trials in Belfast and Cork this year alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I actually can't understand why a man would work with/coach female sports teams, you are playing with fire.

I am aware of a poor gentleman who has been accused of sexual assault in what is a farcical accusation but needs to be investigated nonetheless.

We saw something similar with the Mayo footballers earlier in the year who walked out claiming it "an unsafe" environment.

Fann Linn wrote: »

I would have discreetly filmed it and shamed them on facebook anonymously to ensure the young lad had a fighting chance. How many innocent young men have killed themselves over such accusations each year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm not often in the city, any city, but I was passing through Dublin not too long ago and stopped in for lunch at Govindas (because it's vegetarian). Anyways, there were two young female students at the table next to mine and for an hour I listened to them emote and gasp and expound theatrically about a ''rape'' accusation one of them was going to initiate against a fellow they had had sex with at a party. I got the blow by blow account because they were so shrill. It was not a case of rape at all, but of regret. Nonetheless the friend had the 'victim' completely psyched up. The boy would be destroyed. It was disturbing to listen to this conjured hysteria from modern young adults. Especially as the mother of young men. God forbid that they would ever meet such brain-washed girls.

Oh my god, that is scary.

If I overheard that I would be tempted (but prob wouldn't) to say that I'd witnessed their conversation if an allegation was made.

Advertisement