Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colds and flu season is here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

seamus wrote: »
    We had a chuckle over the summer. The kids were staying at the in-laws and it was during the heatwave, so we had a fan in their room to try and keep them a bit cooler.
    When the heatwave abated (but it was still 19/20 degrees), we kept running the fan for white noise. The mother-in-law on hearing this looked aghast, "Surely you're not still running the fan?". "Yeah, why not?". "Could they not freeze to death?"

Yes, it was just an ordinary desk fan and not an industrial air conditioning unit in the room.

:D:D

Old Wives tale

Had horrific flu last year from december 21st to about 15th Jan so getting jab for first time this week, a bit worried about possible alergic reaction but couldnt hack the flu again.

Only if you are allergic to eggs or Chicken you will have a problem
    Any other mild reaction is a walk in the park compared to full blown flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dying here, literally could drop any moment. Curse of god on it anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Try Echinecea Angusifolia rather than the Echinecea Purpurea variety which is what is generally available - you may have to order it online. It is stronger. Use only when needed, and then also from time to time as a boost but not in an ongoing fashion as a preventative.

Lavender oil - heated in burner in house and one drop on clothes near upper body. Eucalyptus too.

The Cure - Grate 1 - 2 inches of Ginger Root into small pot, add 1 teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds, plus 9 black peppercorns. Add 2 cups water. Boil then simmer till reduced to 1 cup. Add a bit of the result to your hot beverages over the course of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,859 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Had horrific flu last year from december 21st to about 15th Jan so getting jab for first time this week, a bit worried about possible alergic reaction but couldnt hack the flu again.

I got an unmerciful dose at Easter (bit feckin' late for flu season IMO, but still) - the dose lasted about 5 days but it was the guts of 8 weeks before I was half right, via chest xrays, inhalers, steroids, multiple antibiotics and sick certs agogo. Never, ever again. Am ringing once I finish typing this to make appt for the jab (although my GP cheerfully told me he got the jab last year, and then promptly got the flu :D)

Everyone around me is sick. They sound like they have pneumonia. I'm terrified I'll get it. Booked in for the flu vaccine next Monday but hope it's not too late! Ended up in hospital last year over it.
    :eek:
    Iamxavier wrote: »
    I'm calling shenanigans. If you really had flu, you wouldn't be anywhere near boards :D

• Advertisement

In this modern day era it is possible for one person to infect 1,000 people per day with an illness by germ transfer in the air and on hard surfaces ie door handles etc etc
    We didn't have the "mix" we have today when the last flu pandemic wiped out millions in 1918(?)
    Imagine how many the next one will wipe out when it happens,and it WILL happen

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I got an unmerciful dose at Easter (bit feckin' late for flu season IMO, but still) - the dose lasted about 5 days but it was the guts of 8 weeks before I was half right, via chest xrays, inhalers, steroids, multiple antibiotics and sick certs agogo. Never, ever again. Am ringing once I finish typing this to make appt for the jab (although my GP cheerfully told me he got the jab last year, and then promptly got the flu :D)

I'm calling shenanigans. If you really had flu, you wouldn't be anywhere near boards :D

A doctor told me once if you truly have flu and someone hung 20 euro notes on your washing outside your window you wouldn't have the energy to get up out of bed to get them
    Some people say they have the flu even when it isn't

May I ask? Are you at work mixing with others?:confused:

Steve F wrote: »
    A doctor told me once if you truly have flu and someone hung 20 euro notes on your washing outside your window you wouldn't have the energy to get up out of bed to get them
    This!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,125 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Heartbreaking watching the news clips of her with her kids on the beach last night.

Those poor youngsters now having to deal without their mum.

I hope they cope and gain some strength in the future from the person their mother was.
    Wrong thread, I suspect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I picked up an absolutely miserable cold that's lasted a good few days.

It was a bit weird. I had a sore throat for maybe half a day at most and then that went away. Then I had a sort of hot neck and a bit of a cough but nothing serious. Then that went away. Then I got the worst bout of sinus pain I've ever had and an absolutely awful headache. That then seems to have turned into an avalanche of liquid running down the back of my throat which has caused a major issue with coughing last night.

It's still not quite gone but it's going.

A really nasty piece of work whatever that virus is!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I picked up an absolutely miserable cold that's lasted a good few days.

It was a bit weird. I had a sore throat for maybe half a day at most and then that went away. Then I had a sort of hot neck and a bit of a cough but nothing serious. Then that went away. Then I got the worst bout of sinus pain I've ever had and an absolutely awful headache. That then seems to have turned into an avalanche of liquid running down the back of my throat which has caused a major issue with coughing last night.

It's still not quite gone but it's going.

A really nasty piece of work whatever that virus is!

I've had the same for 2 weeks,
    nasal congestion is getting better but the sinus pain is still there,
    aaaaagggggggggghhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Getting my flu shot tomorrow.. Feeling ok at the moment, but then I'm a germopobe and run a million miles from people with colds and flu (although I'd rather be a million miles from people anyway).

Bring on my flu jabs

I never got a flu jab. I think I got the flu twice. Got that nasty flu that was going around 11 years ago. Others close to me didn't get this flu and didn't get the jab.

Has the flu jab prevented you from getting the flu?

YFlyer wrote: »
    I never got a flu jab. I think I got the flu twice. Got that nasty flu that was going around 11 years ago. Others close to me didn't get this flu and didn't get the jab.

Has the flu jab prevented you from getting the flu?

How would you know??? :confused:

I've had it twice in my lifetime, and that's twice too many.

But if there's anything that will likely reduce the risk of me getting another dose like I did earlier this year, I'm all for it!

Debateable according to research.
    Fever, muscle aches, nausea — these are what we usually associate with having the flu.But just because you don't exhibit these symptoms, it doesn't mean you don't have the flu, researchers say. And you could be just as contagious. In fact, their study found that roughly three-quarters of people with seasonal or pandemic flu show either no symptoms or mild ones that aren't usually linked to flu.

I would say this is the reason it spreads so quickly. Having no or mild symptoms yourself doesn't make you any less contagious or less of a danger to others. If everyone who got flu had to stay in bed it wouldn't spread as fast as it tends to do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?t=1538997500822

Debateable according to research.

I would say this is the reason it spreads so quickly. Having no or mild symptoms yourself doesn't make you any less contagious or less of a danger to others. If everyone who got flu had to stay in bed it wouldn't spread as fast as it tends to do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/03/17/290878964/even-if-you-dont-have-symptoms-you-may-still-have-the-flu?t=1538997500822

That's a bit scary.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How would you know??? :confused:

I've had it twice in my lifetime, and that's twice too many.

But if there's anything that will likely reduce the risk of me getting another dose like I did earlier this year, I'm all for it!

Exactly. How would you know?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Exactly. How would you know?
    But how would you know you would or wouldn't have got measles/mumps/polio and all that other stuff you get jabs for?

It's a vaccination, it vastly reduces the risk of contracting whatever it is it's for.

That's a bit scary.....

Indeed it is. I originally thought myself that anyone who got flu was flattened for a couple of weeks. But if people catch it with varying degrees of severity (ie those with milder symptoms are going about their daily business), then that makes it more dangerous, since more will catch it. Of those that do, some will unfortunately get a bad dose of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have MS, so always have to get the flu jab anyway (I take immuno-suppressant meds).

I have organised a flu shot for the entire office next week and you wouldn't believe how many have declined. Scary just how much ignorance there is about it and lack of understanding regarding how important it is.

Yeah you’d be amazed at how the anti vaccination scares are taking root here.
    I get the flu vaccine every year in part as I do not want to get the flu and because I don’t want to pass the virus on to someone who might not cope well. I have elderly relatives with immune issues due to cancer treatment but also you don’t know who you’re passing these things onto. Those with compromised immune systems may be largely relying on just not being exposed to the virus as they won’t be as able to fight it off.

If everyone got the flu jab, we would have herd immunity and there would be a lot fewer deaths due to complications of the flu. However, pseudoscience and internet scares from America are more than enough to convince people that it’s some kind of grand conspiracy theory of big phrama, the Clintons, Fine Gael and space aliens or whatever ....

The reality is you’re educating your immune system and using your own 100% natural defenses to combat a nasty virus. Medicine doesn’t get much more natural than that. It’s not a chemical agent or a drug. It’s simply a bunch of DNA that your immune system can practice on and learn how to recognize, combat and destroy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Avoid people, be a hermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Avoid people, be a hermit.

;):D:p

May I ask? Are you at work mixing with others?:confused:

You may, but what's it to you?

There isn't a one size fits all when it comes to the flu, or a cold ;)

Somebody mentioned that there's a lot of ignorance surrounding the flu vaccination and that is very true. It's far from optimal. If you are under 60 and healthy, you shouldn't really be getting the flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You may, but what's it to you?

There isn't a one size fits all when it comes to the flu, or a cold ;)

Somebody mentioned that there's a lot of ignorance surrounding the flu vaccination and that is very true. It's far from optimal. If you are under 60 and healthy, you shouldn't really be getting the flu jab.

same applies to other groups also. needs care.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got flu jab and now have flu, feel awful

Graces7 wrote: »
    same applies to other groups also. needs care.

Oh totally, anybody who is at risk should be getting the flu jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I have Sinusitis atm, feel like I've been hit in the face with a wooden plank.
    And the blood streaked snot, well that's as sexy as hell!!

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I got flu jab and now have flu, feel awful

You didn't get that from the flu vaccine. If you've flu symptoms, you might just have coincidentally got the flu. Also the vaccine wouldn't be much use for two weeks after you got it.

Advertisement