Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colds and flu season is here

Options
  • 26-09-2018 11:31pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came down with a dirty rotten head cold a few days ago and have a terrible cough. It seems a lot of people are coming down with colds and flu. 😖☹

Anyone else here have a cold and want to share their misery with me here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Getting my flu shot tomorrow.. Feeling ok at the moment, but then I'm a germopobe and run a million miles from people with colds and flu (although I'd rather be a million miles from people anyway).

Bring on my flu jabs

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Top tip would be not to have CH on full blast in the home. People are gone soft with too much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,658 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You have slipped into a prolonged and possibly irreversible decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I came down with a dirty rotten head cold a few days ago and have a terrible cough. It seems a lot of people are coming down with colds and flu. 😖☹

I can't share my misery as I only get colds/flu about once every two years..

But if you have a cold/flu STAY AT HOME!

It annoys me when people crawl around in work for weeks feeling like crap and spreading germs when it would gone in a few days if they just spent a day or two in bed with a hot water bottle.

Nobody is going to give you a medal for going into work ill and you are delusional if you think your multi national employer is going to go bust over night because you took a day or two off.

Any last requests? A grave admission of mortality, I'll start digging just to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Public transport in this country with its massively over heated environment of 30 degrees plus this time of the year spreads all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Man flu here... terrible nearly wiped me out. Been working from home not to infect the office Vicks + hot toddy + lemsips + honey/ginger/lemon + vitamin c all on the go.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Got the worst vomiting bug I've had in at least ten years a few days ago, our two year old picked it up in creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Top tip would be not to have CH on full blast in the home. People are gone soft with too much heat.

Two kiwis a day or so and a bit of fuzz around the chops make a fair difference, too. All I see around me at break is Sangwiches - fair enough -
    then coke, bars and taytos..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Got the worst vomiting bug I've had in at least ten years a few days ago, our two year old picked it up in creche.

commiserations. I caught that years ago when I was new to ireland... days and nights sitting enthroned with a bucket in front of me. wondered what had hit me

my immune system is down so I stay away from people as much as I can, and been advised to get masks next time I am out; because of my illness a cold could literally kill me.

And yes stay home if you are sick... please! and ((((HUGS)))) to all who are sick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I have a rotten cold right now. Throat feels like I'm swallowing daggers, shivers but roasting hot, all bunged up, achy and weak. Woke up at 4am breathing through my mouth as my nose was blocked, mouth so dry! :(

I'm due to go to Spain on Saturday on holidays so trying to rest up and get better. I can normally function grand with the sniffles but this is a nasty dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It had its fun with me 2 weeks ago. Chills, feverish, coughing and feeling rotten for about 3 days only. It went quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

have a **** to celebrate

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Graces7 wrote: »
    commiserations. I caught that years ago when I was new to ireland... days and nights sitting enthroned with a bucket in front of me. wondered what had hit me

my immune system is down so I stay away from people as much as I can, and been advised to get masks next time I am out; because of my illness a cold could literally kill me.

And yes stay home if you are sick... please! and ((((HUGS)))) to all who are sick....

One of the worst kept secrets out there is how working couples are leaving their sick kids to creche regardless of what they have. Both parents working so they have nowhere else to go with them if child comes down with vomiting bug overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had horrific flu last year from december 21st to about 15th Jan so getting jab for first time this week, a bit worried about possible alergic reaction but couldnt hack the flu again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Been cold season in this house since the 2nd September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Everyone around me is sick. They sound like they have pneumonia. I'm terrified I'll get it. Booked in for the flu vaccine next Monday but hope it's not too late! Ended up in hospital last year over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'm working in a school and half the kids are coming in with some sort of cough/cold/flu mix. I'm going through bottles of hand sanitizer and vitamin c tablets!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had a touch of the vomiting bug last week, not too bad thankfully, but I worked from home the next day so as not to drag it into the office with me.

Will be getting the flu vaccine in the next week, my doctor recommends I get it every year. I forgot to get it one year and of course I caught the flu. Horrific, absolutely horrible illness.

Otherwise everything fine so far, touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its hitting me now

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    I had a touch of the vomiting bug last week, not too bad thankfully, but I worked from home the next day so as not to drag it into the office with me.

Will be getting the flu vaccine in the next week, my doctor recommends I get it every year. I forgot to get it one year and of course I caught the flu. Horrific, absolutely horrible illness.

Otherwise everything fine so far, touch wood.

Vomiting bug this week . No immune system so no vaccines. Have to start wearing a mask as advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Vomiting bug in the family :(

Rest have colds n coughs.

Ugghhhhh

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Vomiting bug in the family :(

Rest have colds n coughs.

Ugghhhhh

I am staying in isolation! There are some things best not shared. I read how infectious the vomiting bugs are... even being breathed on. Someone once said that handling money spreads these things more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I came down with a dirty rotten head cold a few days ago and have a terrible cough. It seems a lot of people are coming down with colds and flu. ��☹

Wife got a nasty cold->cough.

I've nothing yet as i'm a badass.

I do periodically come down with a bout of the "Egyptian lung aids" when i go over for scuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I felt a bit quesy yesterday - a shot of whiskey followed by a pint of Guinness and feel right as rain !!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Have had this for two weeks thought I was over it Friday but it started up again in bed the whole weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Whole house got it there about two weeks ago. Coughs and runny noses have thankfully abated.

Now awaiting round 2, probably around the end of the month...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Jimmy. wrote: »

Hot,dry heat like CH etc in homes dries out mucus in the nasal passages and allow germs to travel into the body and infect you with viruses and bacteria.Hate steaming hot houses.More likely to make you ill than prevent illness
    It's in bred in us that any slight drop in temperature will kill us!!!
    Much better to have a nice background temp of 16-18c than the furnace most have now
    I am convinced our own internal thermostats have been re-set because of modern heating.What most term "chilly" these days our ancestors would have considered mild :confused:
    Rant over

Steve F wrote: »
    Hot,dry heat like CH etc in homes dries out mucus in the nasal passages and allow germs to travel into the body and infect you with viruses and bacteria.Hate steaming hot houses.More likely to make you ill than prevent illness
    Much better to have a nice background temp of 16-18c than the furnace most have now
    I am convinced our own internal thermostats have been re-set because of modern heating.What most term "chilly" these days our ancestors would have considered mild :confused:
    Rant over

Hate to argue but I have never had central heating and the dwelling is always on the cool side. I rely on clothes..

Germs do love heat and it is being close to someone infected that does the harm. Hence my catching the dreaded lurgy on a rare trip to town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Steve F wrote: »
    We had a chuckle over the summer. The kids were staying at the in-laws and it was during the heatwave, so we had a fan in their room to try and keep them a bit cooler.
    When the heatwave abated (but it was still 19/20 degrees), we kept running the fan for white noise. The mother-in-law on hearing this looked aghast, "Surely you're not still running the fan?". "Yeah, why not?". "Could they not freeze to death?"

Yes, it was just an ordinary desk fan and not an industrial air conditioning unit in the room.

:D:D

Advertisement