We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Assisted Suicide

2»

Comments

Graces7 wrote: »
    Look up Liverpool Pathway and the various reactions to it. Any such plan is so easily abused. And was. I am deeply suspicious of old folk being given end of life injections" to make it easier for them"
    Dr. Murad Jacob Kevorkian (May 26, 1928 – June 3, 2011) was an American pathologist and euthanasia proponent in Michigan. Convicted of murder in 1999. Anti-euthanasia media and citizens called him Dr. Death. The debate about his actions continues, depending upon your position.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Look up Liverpool Pathway and the various reactions to it. Any such plan is so easily abused. And was. I am deeply suspicious of old folk being given end of life injections" to make it easier for them"

My view is that the benefit to all of having control, should they so choose, over the end of their life, outweighs the mitigated (but nevertheless potential) risk of abuse to the few.

If I ever get a horrible terminal illness like motor neurone disease I would take great comfort from the fact that I could choose to avoid the final and most painful inevitable descent into death and not have to put my family through that torture also.

There are, rightly, very stringent checks and balances in countries that facilitate assisted dying. There is no "easy" way to abuse such a system.

Society & Culture