Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2018 - Round 16 – Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Seriously weird with the Red Bulls. Ricciardo is staying a consistent gap behind Verstappen while Max is losing time to the Ferraris.

Not the first time that's happened this season with drivers going onto the 'quicker' tyre and not seeing the benefits.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hamilton's blister didn't look too bad. Hopefully he can 'gift' Bottas the win as a thank you.

AdobeStock_42898239.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Faugheen wrote: »
    When did they claim that this weekend?

People don't complain when Kimi plays wingman for Vettel because 'that's his role' but do when Bottas does the same for his title-challenging team-mate.

When Bottas is good enough to challenge for a title, then see what the team orders are. Until then, stop being a baby and looking for something to cry about.

Perfect argument, calling people names. You're not worth discussing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not giving it back,

We will talk about it after the race,

Pull it over and park it up Bottas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bottas a bit in the dark about what just happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Good performance from Leclerc, best of the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

AdobeStock_42898239.jpeg

Woah, what's this about. Play the post, not the poster.

I understand team orders, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Even Toto being on the radio to Bottas knows how it looks from the fans' perspective hence the sheepish comment. It doesn't bode well for them on a PR side.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

People don't complain when Kimi plays wingman for Vettel because 'that's his role' but do when Bottas does the same for his title-challenging team-mate.

When Bottas is good enough to challenge for a title, then see what the team orders are. Until then, stop being a baby and looking for something to cry about.

Winning races would be a start,

Oh hold on. . .

:pac:

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Perfect argument, calling people names. You're not worth discussing with.

So I just want to be clear that you're not going to answer the question I have raised because I said you were crying like a baby.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Not the first time that's happened this season with drivers going onto the 'quicker' tyre and not seeing the benefits.

I was half-expecting them to do the fastest lap on the last lap to show they'd just been going handy but apparently not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Absolutely no celebration from Lewis to be fair

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The cameraman went flying. Haha

astrofluff wrote: »
    AdobeStock_42898239.jpeg

Woah, what's this about. Play the post, not the poster.

I understand team orders, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Even Toto being on the radio to Bottas knows how it looks from the fans' perspective hence the sheepish comment. It doesn't bode well for them on a PR side.

Bottas knows the story. If he had kicked off about having to let Hamilton through then we would have heard about it.

I don't know why anyone wants to believe otherwise. Bottas is annoyed but at the end of the day he knows what the story is and he won't do or say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Bottas not a happy lad and understandably so.... Team orders do happen in all teams, I still don't have to like them though.

Mercedes should just put Russell in that car next year instead of Bottas. He isn't going to be a championship winning driver so either get out or know what your role is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Not giving it back,

We will talk about it after the race,

Pull it over and park it up Bottas :D

More like, turn the engine up to max and ram LewLew off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Did Vettel blank Putin? Looks awkward in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

From a team perspective, the team order made perfect sense. Sure, nobody likes them, it sours the win, sours the achievement, but make sense when in a points battle. Bottas had the win taken away from him, not unnecessarily mind, but it was taken away. As above, he has to be expecting that at this stage, he's not in the title fight. It's a bitter order, but hey, if you don't like your position in the team, you need to make sure you ARE in the title fight, or else find a different team.

Verstappen was sublime. Granted the cars ahead were slower, but he carved through them beautifully.

Ferrari did better today strategy wise, Merc made an error and left Lewis out a lap too long. Vettel did all he could do really.

Great drive by Le Clerc too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I agree on Ferraris strategy. They got it right today. However, the Merc was a better outright car.

Looking forward to Japan next week. Hopefully a Godzilla attack spices things up

antodeco wrote: »
    However, the Merc was a better outright car.

100%

Whatever the deficit was to Ferrari early/mid season, Mercedes seems to have gotten on top of it.

50 point lead. 5 races to go. 125 points up for grabs. Lewis can comfortably afford all 2nd places now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Bottas not a happy lad and understandably so.... Team orders do happen in all teams, I still don't have to like them though.

Mercedes should just put Russell in that car next year instead of Bottas. He isn't going to be a championship winning driver so either get out or know what your role is going to be.

Ta fcuk with Russell. Give it to Ocon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,154 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Actually forgot to say but delighted Renault got nothing after their "tactical" Q2 stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Have to say, enjoyed Paul Di Resta in the Sky comms booth for the race. He got the good kind of excited at certain points during the race, kinda in contrast to Brundle who just keeps very nonchalant about what's happening on track.

Have to say, enjoyed Paul Di Resta in the Sky comms booth for the race. He got the good kind of excited at certain points during the race, kinda in contrast to Brundle who just keeps very nonchalant about what's happening on track.

Sky surprised me when Lewis complained about Vettel defending by moving twice...they said it was hard racing, that rules should be relaxed, and it didn't deserve a penalty. I agreed it wasn't penalty worthy, but there was a definite double move when defending, I thought he'd get a slap on the wrist for it? Very high speed section, just before a DRS pass, not a place you want to have an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Inviere wrote: »
    Sky surprised me when Lewis complained about Vettel defending by moving twice...they said it was hard racing, that rules should be relaxed, and it didn't deserve a penalty. I agreed it wasn't penalty worthy, but there was a definite double move when defending, I thought he'd get a slap on the wrist for it? Very high speed section, just before a DRS pass, not a place you want to have an accident

That was Johnny Herbert, he went on to say that Ham fully deserved to win the race.

What he giveth he taketh away.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    That was Johnny Herbert, he went on to say that Ham fully deserved to win the race.

What he giveth he taketh away.

Di Resta and Croft said it too iirc? Herbert is a pure waste, adds absolutely nothing.

but there was a definite double move when defending

Hmm, this changed my mind somewhat - https://streamable.com/6u9o9

I didn't see anything wrong with what Vettel did at the time, and it's clear from the replays. It's not a double movement as once he starts to move he keeps moving in the same direction

skipper_G wrote: »
    I didn't see anything wrong with what Vettel did at the time, and it's clear from the replays. It's not a double movement as once he starts to move he keeps moving in the same direction

Watching live, from Lewis' on board, in the moment, it definitely looked like two moves to me. It clearly wasn't though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Watching live, from Lewis' on board, in the moment, it definitely looked like two moves to me. It clearly wasn't though :)

Yes, my opinion too, it looked like a double move (we got Hamilton's view first and a few replays of it) but not really any other angle. Vettel just continued to close the door.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

I agree, I thought the same from Hamilton's onboard at first. But they did show a wider angle replay like the one you linked and then i changed my mind.

Is there any clips of KMag move on Ocon. I thought his was worse

Advertisement