Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Violence in the GAA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

What do you define as an outbreak of violence?

One player hitting another player or does it need to be a mass brawl?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

howiya wrote: »
    What do you define as an outbreak of violence?

One player hitting another player or does it need to be a mass brawl?

id say both now to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

id say both now to be honest

So you're going to log every incident of players being sent off for striking? Can't see this thread lasting too long

howiya wrote: »
    So you're going to log every incident of players being sent off for striking? Can't see this thread lasting too long

ill decide based on the seriousness of the injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

No harm having a thread on this. Highlights the issue, no point denying it or burying your head in the sand pretending it doesnt occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The GAA has a huge problem with Violence but like the Church would rather it covered up and pretend it's all OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The GAA has a huge problem with Violence but like the Church would rather it covered up and pretend it's all OK

Hardly fair to compare the GAA to an organisation that covers up paedophilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

It's a man's game.

TCM wrote: »
    It's a man's game.

Apart from when we plat the aussies:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Moy aren't letting the Tyrone county board brush this one under the rug so easily anyway.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0925/998096-moy-sean-cavanagh/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Apart from when we plat the aussies:mad:
    Have you seen the most recent International Rules games? GAA players are well able to mix it physically with Aussie Rules players nowadays.

Have you seen the most recent International Rules games? GAA players are well able to mix it physically with Aussie Rules players nowadays.

not too sure about that tbh, the aussies were told to tone it down

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

djPSB wrote: »

It's different but it's still Violence and thuggery and if you saw people do it down the street you call them scum.

Man's game my arse.

Nothing wrong with being tough and physical it's another to be a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

djPSB wrote: »

GAA have never covered up anything like that before?

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There has always been brawls in Derry football, even in the 90s the youth teams would have brawls, Greenlough are usually an Intermediate club who nearly beat a big 1st Division club so it was always going to end in a brawl.

I can even remember a few brawls in youth training sessions with the team mates, the best youth player in my club moved to another club because of a fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OP this is a discussion forum, not a place to dump links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

TCM wrote: »
    It's a man's game.

not when the Aussies play us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

are you kidding me? They would destroy the Irish players for physical strength. Any time the Irish players try that on the Aussies they get hockeyed. You know that well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This is a thread to log all outbreaks of violence in the GAA

Hopefully by shining a light on it either the GAA or police will get involved

https://twitter.com/irishnewssport/status/1043590273719242752

Shocked to see this, police should get involved?

that's a classic GAA fat f***er in slacks and jumper running in for the belly and elbow slap from the sideline! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

is there more violence or is it just shared more due to social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

stooge wrote: »

Funniest/saddest part is the number 20 in the stripey jersey standing in the foreground with two other chaps, while everyone else is making a show of themselves.

They will probably be slagged for "letting their mates down" while in actual fact they were among the rare vestiges of sanity and civilized behaviour. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

big_drive wrote: »
    Does it matter? The fact is it is unacceptable and needs to be stamped out of the game.
    If a brawl like the one in the OP happened in a LOI or AIL game you wouldn't be able to avoid it on TV, radio or print but it is widely accepted as part of the game in GAA.
    Sure most pre match team talks include a "and remember lads it's 1 in all in. No backing down" bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Felexicon wrote: »
    Sure most pre match team talks include a "and remember lads it's 1 in all in. No backing down" bollox.

You’re trying too hard I think. I played in a lot of matches over the years and never even once heard something like this being said in a team talk. Not saying it doesn’t happen but the idea that “most pre match team talks” include it is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

People need to realise that assaulting someone on a pitch is the exact same as assaulting someone on the street. You are just as accountable for your actions and open to prosecution and civil claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Powerhouse wrote: »

You’re trying too hard I think. I played in a lot of matches over the years and never even once heard something like this being said in a team talk. Not saying it doesn’t happen but the idea that “most pre match team talks” include it is laughable.
    Maybe just managers I've encountered so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Does it matter? The fact is it is unacceptable and needs to be stamped out of the game.
    If a brawl like the one in the OP happened in a LOI or AIL game you wouldn't be able to avoid it on TV, radio or print but it is widely accepted as part of the game in GAA.

I played the games for over 30 years at all levels and I never heard the one in all in speech. You are talking sh1te saying that is in "most pre match team talks".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Compulsory competition expulsion for any team involved in a mass brawl, that's stamp it out fairly quickly

A mass brawl meaning 6 or more players as upto 6 is typically just pushing and shoving..

The exception being one team who clearly instigate violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

big_drive wrote: »

... and hyped up by clickbait sites like Joe and the Indo with sensational headlines : 'MASS VIOLENCE' TERRIBLE SCENES''WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN'.... CLICK HERE FOR MORE!!

Most of these are handbags. The fact that they happen is obviously wrong, and they should be investigated and acted on, but spare us the handwringing please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

It matters to the point of evaluating is the problem getting worse or is it the same as it always has been. I'm not saying there isn't an issue. I'm just wondering has it always been the same but we just weren't as aware of it going on

Advertisement