Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ride a bike?

Options
  • 25-09-2018 12:02am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whilst abroad (Holland to be precise) I have been using a bike to get around and have caught the cycling bug.

I know a lot more people are turning to bikes to get around Dublin and the Dublin bikes scheme has been a huge success.

So do any AHers cycle to get around? Or is it cars and busses for your lazy lump?

Do you ride a bike? 94 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    75% 71 votes
    I ride yore ma
    11% 11 votes
    None of the above
    12% 12 votes

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually I do. Yes I ride a bike. Well I've got 12 bikes that I ride. Not all at once mind. Was riding Black Beauty today and will ride her again tomorrow.

Here's a picture (full frontal)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Whilst abroad (Holland to be precise) I have been using a bike to get around and have caught the cycling bug.

I know a lot more people are turning to bikes to get around Dublin and the Dublin bikes scheme has been a huge success.

So do any AHers cycle to get around? Or is it cars and busses for your lazy lump?

I walk where possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I've rode a few bikes in my time.

The office bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I ride a bike, but since I'm a lazy fecker it's a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Whilst abroad - love it.....:)

No. Havent got a bike. Can ride one. Just dont have one:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Beasty wrote: »
    Actually I do. Yes I ride a bike. Well I've got 12 bikes that I ride.

12??

We need details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

whiskeyman wrote: »
    12??

We need details!

He wheels and deals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Actually I do. Yes I ride a bike. Well I've got 12 bikes that I ride. Not all at once mind. Was riding Black Beauty today and will ride her again tomorrow.

Here's a picture (full frontal)

Jaysis that's NSFW!

Pure filth, no envy at all I swear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ride a bike regularly and there are some selfish motorists out there but there are also some selfish cyclists
    Anybody want a bet where this discussion will go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

ride a bike regularly and there are some selfish motorists out there but there are also some selfish cyclists
    Anybody want a bet where this discussion will go

Well the poll is trolling, only one way it can end up tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I've cycled as far as I can think back, and I still do.

I also drive a car.

Overall, I do encounter far more car drivers that are c*nts than cyclists, though, no matter if I'm driving myself, or cycling, or walking. I can't even excuse some of the behaviours I encounter as someone just not knowing any better, they actively go out of their way to be a danger to themselves and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I do but I wouldn't let her know I call her that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've cycled as far as I can think back, and I still do.

I also drive a car.

Overall, I do encounter far more car drivers that are c*nts than cyclists, though, no matter if I'm driving myself, or cycling, or walking. I can't even excuse some of the behaviours I encounter as someone just not knowing any better, they actively go out of their way to be a danger to themselves and others.
    whenever im on the road either on the bike or in the car my biggest fear is being hit by another driver , never feel that threatened by lads/lassies on bikes .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yeah, even went travelling on one. I generally like commuting to work on them but not as big a fan for general fitness because of the time required to commit to a decent cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I do the odd time, cycling is great, keep meaning to do it a lot more but im generally too lazy to go through the hassle of taking it out of the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When I lived in London, commuting by bike for about 10-11 months of the year, only during the coldest months of Jan/feb did I use public transport.

To biggest issues with cycling here, and this is even with my drivers hat on, is that car users are not cyclist aware. I dont cycle much on the roads here, but have had more incidents, and near misses here, than during those commutes in London. Never hit by a car, until I moved here either.

But yes, I do ride (ocassionaly), and have two bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I ride a bike but can't vote Yes due to the churlish comment that is associated with the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I ride, but not a bike

Go everywhere on my Hoverboard so I do. Great for core strength

The yes option is bogus, rely on bike to get around without flaunting the lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Most weekends over the summer we take the bikes out for 30-40k spin with the kids.

Road infrastructure round home isn’t suitable for cycling at all so we bring them somewhere suitable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've just taken it up the last few months, love it :)

I ride a bike but can't vote Yes due to the churlish comment that is associated with the option.

Yes, the vote options dont allow for those who ride and drive. It seems to be usaul 'car v bikes', as if those who use both dont exsist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: I edited the poll options because they read like the OP was trying to start yet another cyclists vs drivers war. Which, quite frankly, AH has had enough of.

Please try to keep this thread civil. Would be nice not to wake up to a flurry of reported posts because people can't help themselves to get digs in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mod: I edited the poll options because they read like the OP was trying to start yet another cyclists vs drivers war. Which, quite frankly, AH has had enough of.

Please try to keep this thread civil. Would be nice not to wake up to a flurry of reported posts because people can't help themselves to get digs in.

Could you have not put the AH tradition on it by changing one to "your ma" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Spook_ie wrote: »

*sigh*

Fiiiine so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's a great way to get about. Great fun zipping around the place. Could do without the wind though. Zero craic cycling into a headwind.

Spook_ie wrote: »

I thought the AHs tradition was Atari Jaguar, although aways prefered the 2600 my self.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

whiskeyman wrote: »
    12??

We need details!
    1 x Bianchi fixie
    2 x Cervelo track bikes
    1 x Cervelo TT bike
    2 x Cervelo road bikes
    2 x Dolan track bikes
    1 x Dolan road bike
    1 x Giant TT bike
    1 x Ridley road bike
    1 x Scott road bike

You can see some more pics
    here and here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I ride a bike everyday...... can't imagine life without it tbh.

Scott Hybrid (going to work and cycling with the kids bike)
    Felt Road Bike (Weekend MAMIL bike)
    Claud Butler Vintage Racer (Stylish Bike for showing off)
    Falcon Vintage Racer (Recently acquired, needs some TLC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

1 x Bianchi fixie
    2 x Cervelo track bikes
    1 x Cervelo TT bike
    2 x Cervelo road bikes
    2 x Dolan track bikes
    1 x Dolan road bike
    1 x Giant TT bike
    1 x Ridley road bike
    1 x Scott road bike

You can see some more pics
    here and here and here

You sir are either very rich or have the most wonderful wife or both... either way, respect.

Advertisement