Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus donates €100,000 to every GAA county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

A new car for 32 county chairmen:),some gesture all the same,I wonder did jp insist that clubs get it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

That poor club in Monaghan where the sink hole opened up will need the full allocation of Monaghan and more......will he appreciate his money going literally into a bottomless pit...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Road-Hog wrote: »
    That poor club in Monaghan where the sink hole opened up will need the full allocation of Monaghan and more......will he appreciate his money going literally into a bottomless pit...?

A 100.K. will go a long way to fill a sink hole. Let the other clubs donate.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

As far as I'm aware the donation is specifically for clubs so therefore will see it's way to clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

blackwhite wrote: »
    Anyone notice that RTE and Sligo GAA managed to broadcast McManus’ personal bank account number and sort code to the world this evening?

I would say he has more than one account.

All joking aside that is shockingly inept by both parties above.

He could tear them both a new ar**hole using GDPR legislation for a start.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    A mere 100,000 smackers?

Shure we spend twice that amount delivering skinny soy lattes and jam donuts to all the Dublin players, their partners, their mammies and their parners grannies for their morning elevenses.

Well we know it is a drop in the ocean for you Dubs in the grand scheme of things, but why do you have to rub it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

What a decent gesture , hope it makes it way to the grassroots especially some of the smaller rural clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

sabat wrote: »
    JP McManus was in government buildings on the night of the bank guarantee.

He was? Never heard of this before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You know that it is possible to both welcome this gesture and his other philanthropy while still being critical of the man for his tax exile status. The two arent mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

flatty wrote: »
    He is a great great man.
    That is all.

Are you mental? he is playing you for a fool

buying your love

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

You know that it is possible to both welcome this gesture and his other philanthropy while still being critical of the man for his tax exile status. The two arent mutually exclusive.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

CPTM wrote: »
    Question - was proportion considered here? Like is the entire County of Cork getting the same amount as Co Louth?

I'm not begrudging btw, I'm a big fan of these gestures, I'm just wondering if I'm missing how this will work. It seems like Cork will have a lot more clubs to divvy this out to..?

Louth actually has quite a large population, so it's not the best example of a small county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As far as I'm aware the donation is specifically for clubs so therefore will see it's way to clubs.

The McManus team is clever. They announced the windfall, and didn't give either CP or the boards a chance to assign it to anywhere else except to the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can this money be doubled through the usual donation procedure ?

You know the that allows tax to be reclaimed

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/charities-and-sports-bodies/charitable-donation-scheme/index.aspx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ted1 wrote:

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

ted1 wrote: »

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/charities-and-sports-bodies/charitable-donation-scheme/index.aspx

You have to be paying tax to avail of that

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

holyhead wrote: »
    Fair play to JP McManus. The American sees the big house on the hill and says someday that will be me. The Irishman asks does anyone have a match! We really are a shower of begrudgers. JP didn't have to do this. I just hope the money is spent constructively and not pocketed by conniving individuals

We've also always had more than our share of sleeveens and people happy to lick the crumbs off the floor.

Every time a rich man is questioned, from Bertie to Denis O'Brien, that same old 'bedgrudgery' refrain is thrown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mr McManus pays his tax in Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Am I the only one to feel sorry for NY and London?

elperello wrote: »
    Mr McManus pays his tax in Switzerland.

Ah ok so effectively he is selectively deciding where his tax money goes !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wonder is it being done through one of his charities or companies, thus allowing him claim tax relief

I know our club will get about €3000, so we won't be complaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Unlikely, for the donation to be deductible it has to be in relation to a specific, Revenue pre-approved, capital project.

Given they’ve stated it is to be distributed around the clubs in each county then it wouldn’t qualify as having been made specifically for approved projects so no deduction is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

jackc101 wrote: »
    Am I the only one to feel sorry for NY and London?

What about Warwickshire and Fingal?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭17togo

Hhhhmmm.... What's the quickest way to setting up my own Gaa club??

blackwhite wrote: »
    Unlikely, for the donation to be deductible it has to be in relation to a specific, Revenue pre-approved, capital project.

Given they’ve stated it is to be distributed around the clubs in each county then it wouldn’t qualify as having been made specifically for approved projects so no deduction is allowed

Really? Because I’m vice treasury of the parents association and we can claim it back on voluntary contributions

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

His generosity needs some perspective.

He's worth over 1 billion euro. He gave 3.2 million or 0.0032% of his worth.
    Something similar to someone worth 100,000 giving 320 euro

He's gambled more on a game of backgammon in the past and in fact is contesting more than that in the tax on his winnings 4.6m euro

While the impact of his "donation" potentially has a greater impact financially on the recipients it doesn't put him out at all. Plus he gets good PR for it offsetting the fact he avoids paying any tax in Ireland, yet benefits from being a citizen.

This isn't begrudgery, he's gambled well and it's good to see anyone support local communities. Point is, local communities would benefit a lot more if he paid taxes in Ireland. In my opinion he deserves the same credit as most people who donate a few hundred euro to a charity at Christmas time and less than all of us wwho pay at least 20% towards society in the form of taxes every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

**** in idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

shamrock55 wrote: »
    **** in idiot

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Jaysus lads, the man gives his money away left, right and centre, and all to improve the country in some small way... and ye still find something give out about him. It's his money. He doesn't have to do any of it. He doesn't have to give out education grants, he doesn't have to fund university buildings, he doesn't have to give massive amounts of money to charity (as of 2016, he had donated a quarter of a billion), he doesn't have to give away land and buy horses to help children with autism cope via equine therapy, he doesn't have to support the dialysis unit in Limerick Hospital. He doesn't have to, but he does. He could keep all his money, and he'd be perfectly entitled to do so. No, he doesn't pay taxes... but if he stopped with his extremely generous donations towards healthcare, education and infrastructure, you can be damn sure the effects would be felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Jaysus lads, the man gives his money away left, right and centre, and all to improve the country in some small way... and ye still find something give out about him. It's his money. He doesn't have to do any of it. He doesn't have to give out education grants, he doesn't have to fund university buildings, he doesn't have to give massive amounts of money to charity (as of 2016, he had donated a quarter of a billion), he doesn't have to give away land and buy horses to help children with autism cope via equine therapy, he doesn't have to support the dialysis unit in Limerick Hospital. He doesn't have to, but he does. He could keep all his money, and he'd be perfectly entitled to do so. No, he doesn't pay taxes... but if he stopped with his extremely generous donations towards healthcare, education and infrastructure, you can be damn sure the effects would be felt.

Very well said, don’t see to many other Irish millionaires giving to good causes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Nothing against JP McManus donating this money it's good to see someone like him with such big interest in the GAA.

But the arguments that it's not worth his while paying tax , shur it would only be wasted are complete bull****. Why the hell can't I avail of the " I can donate money to causes I like instead of paying tax here " clause.I'm sure everyone would prefer to donate money to causes they like rather than having to contribute to the boring stuff which keeps the country ticking over.

People are perfectly entitles to criticize people who live here have citizenship but don't pay any tax , the average folk aren't fortunate enough to have the money to live all over the world so can avoid paying tax here.

Advertisement