Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP McManus donates €100,000 to every GAA county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Anyone know how to start a GAA club?

Get around a dozen of the crankiest, most bitter and frustrated locals. All the better if they come from two diametrically opposed cliques. Give each a discrete, well-defined area of responsibility and tell them they are in charge of directing all the other areas (except their own).

Add a local lotto licence and you're almost there.

Great news on the grant. Here's hoping there's strings attached to ensure ALL of the money gets to the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

marvin80 wrote: »
    He's usually very quiet with his donations so wouldn't be surprised if this was leaked by someone in the GAA but most importantly you got a chance to whinge like a little bitch and get a few thanks for it

No need for the personal insult, this isn't after hours. Lots of people give proportionally more of their income to charity than people like him and they do it quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Peter File wrote: »
    No need for the personal insult, this isn't after hours. Lots of people give proportionally more of their income to charity than people like him and they do it quietly.

How would you know if they are so quiet about it?

revelman wrote: »
    The vast majority of people who have as much money as he does would find ways to pay as little tax as possible - most would probably go non-resident and pay nothing. That doesn't make it morally right but it is a fact. A good question to ask is if you won the euromillions in the morning would you take financial advice to pay as little tax as possible?

There are plenty of Irish millionaires who give absolutely zilch back to the country not in tax nor in charitable donations. I say fair play.

Spot on, there's no question of dubious tax practice but he has poured millions into the wider community including hospitals. Cut the man some slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Peter File wrote: »

How would you know if they are so quiet about it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Isn't his money better in the county boards' pockets rather than the government's to burn paying the Anglo debt?

JP McManus was in government buildings on the night of the bank guarantee. He also came from obscurity to make a remarkably prescient bet of hundreds of millions against the Punt in 1993 in tandem with George Soros, when Bertie Ahern was minister for finance.

Now watch this post mysteriously disappear...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

where did he get the initial capital for trading? nobody really knows

Playing poker against the Sheiks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,575 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

YFlyer wrote: »
    Playing poker against the Sheiks.

It's a wonder the Kinehans never used that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

He made his money from plant hire initially.then gambling, took out bookie licence but found he could make more betting against them .. made big killing on mexican peso ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Fair play to JP a true sports fan and a limerick man to the back bone, this money will help small country clubs who are under pressure trying to keep going on the playing fields and help young players of the future and he will not look for any publicity out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

It's a wonder the Kinehans never used that one.
    Or Bertie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Fair play to JP a true sports fan and a limerick man to the back bone, this money will help small country clubs who are under pressure trying to keep going on the playing fields and help young players of the future and he will not look for any publicity out of this.

I agree it was generous by JP but this money won't go to small clubs only filling pockets of the big gaa men more to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Anyone notice that RTE and Sligo GAA managed to broadcast McManus’ personal bank account number and sort code to the world this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

blackwhite wrote: »
    Anyone notice that RTE and Sligo GAA managed to broadcast McManus’ personal bank account number and sort code to the world this evening?

RTE are so amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Amprodude wrote: »
    RTE are so amateur.

That’s beyond amateur. That’s getting sued territory

I’d expect JPs gonna find himself signed up for a lot of direct debits over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Only problem with it is Tipp get 100 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭CPTM

Question - was proportion considered here? Like is the entire County of Cork getting the same amount as Co Louth?

I'm not begrudging btw, I'm a big fan of these gestures, I'm just wondering if I'm missing how this will work. It seems like Cork will have a lot more clubs to divvy this out to..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

JP is an absolute gentleman, I’ve backed him many times on different threads here the last few years. He has done so much for education and sport in Ireland that so many people will never know of. People can moan about him not paying tax in Ireland and all the rest of it but it can’t be ignored that he employs thousands of people in the Racing industry plus the people employed in his hotels etc.

The announcement today won’t have come from him directly because it isn’t JP’s way. The money that will go to Co. Boards in the smaller counties will do wonders for them at grass roots level. Fair play to him and let’s not forget this is something that has never been done in Ireland before, he was under zero obligation to do anything like this and yet he did so without pressure or fuss. JP and Noreen have looked after hundreds of people through their education funds and now they’re doing it through the GAA. The man is an absolute gent and if you were to see him in Leopardstown or Semple Stadium he will always have a few seconds/minutes for a chat. He is a proper Irish man, tax or no tax, and he always has and always will have the best interests of Irish people at heart.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CPTM wrote:
    I'm not begrudging btw, I'm a big fan of these gestures, I'm just wondering if I'm missing how this will work. It seems like Cork will have a lot more clubs to divvy this out to..?

Correct he gave every county 100K regardless of how it falls.

Great gesture, I remember going on a tour to a mine in Roscommon. The guy giving the tour spoke very highly of the man and said "he's a great supporter of us here"

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mr McManus is a tax resident of Switzerland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Is there any way one could donate money to a local sports' club and be able to offset if against tax due.

It would save the inconvenience of moving to a tax haven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Fair play to JP McManus. The American sees the big house on the hill and says someday that will be me. The Irishman asks does anyone have a match! We really are a shower of begrudgers. JP didn't have to do this. I just hope the money is spent constructively and not pocketed by conniving individuals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Every county board that owes money will knock it of their debt so no clubs will see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

McManus has supported Limerick F.C. contributing to rebuild of the Markets Field, Limerick GAA, Limerick racecourse and many excellent causes at home and abroad.
    Needless to say the usual begrudgers must get the digs in. Thats all they are good for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Savage gesture altogether from JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

holyhead wrote: »
    Fair play to JP McManus. The American sees the big house on the hill and says someday that will be me. The Irishman asks does anyone have a match! We really are a shower of begrudgers. JP didn't have to do this. I just hope the money is spent constructively and not pocketed by conniving individuals

Very accurate summation.
    I suppose it's what typifies our native attitude in so many issues.
    Anybody who has more than you,has to be dissed and demonized to incredible lengths.
    Those with less than you,see their role as getting as much of yours as they can...and on,and on it goes. :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

still only 3.6% compared to what the Dublin GAA get of the Central GAA every year.

drop in the ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I thought it was a lovely thing to do. Mind you I can never say a bad word against the man, he has put my children through college with his Scholarships, and thousands more like them, many of them immigrant children and all of them children from low income families. Without his generosity thousands of families would have struggled seriously over the past decade. He is a lovely reticent humble person to meet, shy almost and genuinely interested in people, not at all like some of the oafish rich people I've met over the years. Good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

He is a great great man.
    That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

holyhead wrote: »

I'd say irony isn't one of your stronger points.

Advertisement