Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000 Mb eir fibre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

DigiWeb guy had no get-up-go - Vodafone guy actually made me feel I owed it to him to sign up right away :)
    That's why God created 'cooling off' periods. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

:eek:

What actual speeds does Siro fibre provide?

I'm getting told by the sales support almost always 1000 mb but others say not even close to that

Not sure about Siro, but Eir FTTH should get pretty close to the 1000MB speed. I assume Siro is exactly the same. To get the full speed you must be wired directly via ethernet (NOT WIFI) and your pc must be able to handle the speed. Many new pc's/laptops still cannot handle gigabit speeds.

I get about 900MB from my FTTH 1000MB package but only wired direct via ethernet and only one of my pc's can handle the full speed. If I connect via wifi, I am lucky to get 100MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Shyboy wrote: »
    Not sure about Siro, but Eir FTTH should get pretty close to the 1000MB speed. I assume Siro is exactly the same. To get the full speed you must be wired directly via ethernet (NOT WIFI) and your pc must be able to handle the speed. Many new pc's/laptops still cannot handle gigabit speeds.

I get about 900MB from my FTTH 1000MB package but only wired direct via ethernet and only one of my pc's can handle the full speed. If I connect via wifi, I am lucky to get 100MB.

This.

Basically you need to make sure that your equipment is up to the taks of taking on that 1GB/s connection. WIFI wont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

m99T wrote: »
    This.

Basically you need to make sure that your equipment is up to the taks of taking on that 1GB/s connection. WIFI wont cut it.

I remember when FTTH first came to our area, many neighbours of mine who signed up for the 1000MB package were constantly on the phone to Eir complaining that they were not getting the speed they were paying for.

In every single case, they were connecting/testing the speed via wifi, that was their problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Shyboy wrote: »

This.

My current computer is capable of 450 mb on WiFi and current Apple Devices are over 1000 Mb.

Are you guys saying that still won't be enough to get top speeds on WiFi?

• Advertisement

My current computer is capable of 450 mb on WiFi and current Apple Devices are over 1000 Mb.

Are you guys saying that still won't be enough to get top speeds on WiFi?

If you have a decent 5G connection on your device then yes, in theory. But WIFI has alot of overheads so you might not get the full speed. Wired is always better.

If you have a decent 5G connection on your device then yes, in theory. But WIFI has alot of overheads so you might not get the full speed. Wired is always better.

iMacs, MacBooks and AppleTV are included in that by the way.

What are the "overheads"?

Why would I need 5G if there is WiFi?

There is a limit to my technical knowledge :p

iMacs, MacBooks and AppleTV are included in that by the way.

What are the "overheads"?

Overheads on WIFI are things that are transmitted over the network that are extra to the data that you actually want. These overheads are things like network parameters that allow the network to recognize what traffic is for it and what traffic is for other networks. They limit the data transmission rate.
    Why would I need 5G if there is WiFi?

There is a limit to my technical knowledge :p

Sorry! I mean 5GhZ Wireless. Its the next generation up from the standard old WiFi that transmits on 2.4Ghz. Think of it like a motorway compared to a regional road. 5Ghz has more lanes to transmit data on and therefore is faster however it might not reach all areas of your house because it is harder to get the signal to go as far as the old network (physics suck).

Overheads on WIFI are things that are transmitted over the network that are extra to the data that you actually want. These overheads are things like network parameters that allow the network to recognize what traffic is for it and what traffic is for other networks. They limit the data transmission rate.

Sorry! I mean 5GhZ Wireless. Its the next generation up from the standard old WiFi that transmits on 2.4Ghz. Think of it like a motorway compared to a regional road. 5Ghz has more lanes to transmit data on and therefore is faster however it might not reach all areas of your house because it is harder to get the signal to go as far as the old network (physics suck).

I wouldn't be against using ethernet in a couple of rooms.

Would DigiWeb or Vodafone install it or would I get a regular technician?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The reality is that you're getting a premium connection at a heavy discount. Enjoy the speed and don't expect to get anywhere close to 1Gb over WiFi. Just be aware that at the end of the 18 month promotion that the 1Gb package is likely to go back to the €80 -€90 it was before the promotion. You should be given the opportunity to downgrade to one of the slower packages.

The reality is that you're getting a premium connection at a heavy discount. Enjoy the speed and don't expect to get anywhere close to 1Gb over WiFi. Just be aware that at the end of the 18 month promotion that the 1Gb package is likely to go back to the €80 -€90 it was before the promotion. You should be given the opportunity to downgrade to one of the slower packages.

I'd never pay that kind of price :P

Vodafone and DigiWeb regular price are both €55 - that is high enough. :)

I'd never pay that kind of price :P

Vodafone and DigiWeb regular price are both €55 - that is high enough. :)

The €55 is a promotional price for 18 months. Vodafone were charging €90 for this exact package before the promotion began. I just thought you should be aware of this before you spend further money installing Ethernet points.

The €55 is a promotional price for 18 months. Vodafone were charging €90 for this exact package before the promotion began. I just thought you should be aware of this before you spend further money installing Ethernet points.

I did not know it was price previously.

I will indeed check on that. Thank you.

I wouldn't be against using ethernet in a couple of rooms.

Would DigiWeb or Vodafone install it or would I get a regular technician?

Everything that Navi said applies but if you did want ethernet points then you would need your own technician to install it. I do it in the Donegal area but find a local tech guy and he will be able to point you in the right direction if not help you out.

"No plans for a price increase " but I "can always downgrade if it ever does go up":rolleyes:

"No plans for a price increase " but I "can always downgrade if it ever does go up":rolleyes:

I can't see them leaving it at this price. It would cannibalise their smaller packages but it would be up to SIRO who set the wholesale prices charged to the ISPs.

I can't see them leaving it at this price. It would cannibalise their smaller packages but it would be up to SIRO who set the wholesale prices charged to the ISPs.

Well, maybe the price will go up but I could be comatosed or dead by from such download speeds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »
    That's why God created 'cooling off' periods. :)

Cooling off periods are for distance sales. (Phone and mail-order). By defintion, when you have a physical installation of your broadband, the cooling off period is not legally required anymore. And if you sign up at the door, it's also very questionable, if it can be deemed distance sales.

If you were reconnecting a line without engineer visit or getting mobile broadband (as mail order) or whatever, then the cooling off period is a legal requirement. But only then.

Some ISPs honor it in any case, as it's difficult to differentiate the cases, where they have to provide the cooling off period or not.

But the case, where an engineer comes to you, installs the broadband, tests, what it's capable off and then hands it to you: no legal requirement of cooling off period.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eir stated quite explicitly to me that my 'cooling off' period began once the connection went live after the technician had made the connection.

So it seems that Eir at least do allow for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

So it seems that Eir at least do allow for it.

Yes. Eir do that. As I said, it varies from provider to provider. But it's not a law requirement, once an engineer comes out and installs it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

I found out i can get ftth,will need an overhead drop,heard terrible things about eir,do i have to go with them for first time install(never had a phoneline before)or will any other provider do the install,or will i have to go with eir first and then switch down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I found out i can get ftth,will need an overhead drop,heard terrible things about eir,do i have to go with them for first time install(never had a phoneline before)or will any other provider do the install,or will i have to go with eir first and then switch down the road?

Don't spam the same question in multiple threads. Answered elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Picky owner

ED E wrote: »

Don't spam the same question in multiple threads. Answered elsewhere.
    Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I've tried post on ask eir but just disappears into neverland! I've signed up for eir broadband after it was recently upgraded in the area. K&N did the survey, they need to install a new a pole to get the fibre to house, anyone know how long this will take? Will there be an additional charge on top of the €129 fee already agreed?

I've tried post on ask eir but just disappears into neverland! I've signed up for eir broadband after it was recently upgraded in the area. K&N did the survey, they need to install a new a pole to get the fibre to house, anyone know how long this will take? Will there be an additional charge on top of the €129 fee already agreed?

As far as I know there is no extra charge, open eir cover the cost as part of the installation. I'm unsure how long you'll be waiting, I guess it would be whenever there is a pole replacement crew available in your area.

No extra charge for a pole to be installed, its up to them to install it.

Should check out this thread its dedicated to FTTH and info around it https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133.

Advertisement