Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little bit of voltage present on earth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

makes for interesting reading that HSA list! :eek: - RIP to all those who lost their lives.

Perhaps it will help you and others understand why some of us are so fanatical about making sure electrical work is done properly and don't like it when others are too complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,783 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

when we first moved to Ireland in the 90's there was an old bottle type consumer unit in our rural derelict cottage - looked totally unsafe and I had bought over a brand new Wylex consumer box fitted with MCB's and an ELCB from where I worked ... looking back its was a stupid thing to do , but money was tight and it was going to cost hundreds for an electrician to fit the consumer box so (because the ESB large bakelite fuse had a tamper proof wire thing on it) I got a large screwdriver with thick insulation - wore some thick soled wellies , got up on a wooden ladder and very carefully took out the live conducter holding its insulation with a pair of insulated pliers and put it into the Wylex box double pole mains switch, it would have been like watching someone disconnect the right wires for a bomb and as I said it was a pretty stupid dangerous thing to do - I realise I could have got the 230v or it could have taken out the ESB fuse with a big bang but anyway thats the craic thats what I did . when it was wired up theres a couple of times the breakers tripped (one when there was a fault on a washing machine we had an another on a faulty light switch) and a time when damp got into an outdoor light fitting - and I was quite pleased because I rather that happened on a consumer box with ELCB and MCB's - I dont think there were any regulations in them days , if they were they were no way as strict as todays regulations and you certainly didnt have to get a qualified electrician to wire up the place or put in extra sockets or anything any old handyman to wire up stuff like lights and switches without certificates .. well especially in rural Ireland. I dont know what it was like other areas. it was like a different era back then - I dont even think back in the 90's Ireland were even using MCB's I think they were still bottle fuses , albeit not in china/porcelain but in white plastic .. but still.

We had to get ESB man out once where I had to call them because I was getting shocks off the guttering - the ESB had hooked up the electrics to the cottage and instead of putting the wires from the pole onto a stand off bracket on a gable wall they just joined up the cable and put insulation tape around them then laid them in the gutter - of course when it was raining or moist air the whole guttering became live :D

anyway an ESB bloke came out to fit whole new tails straight to the consumer box from the consumer box to the wooden pole without joins in it - and when he come around he looked at the wylex box and just said "where's that fusebox from?, not seen one like that before" - oh our electrician who fitted it got it from the UK I said - ah right he said and just continued to wire up the tails to the mains switch on the consumer board and that was that ! - we were in that house for over 10 years anyway and everything was grand .. most probably a lot safer with MCB's and ELCB than other old cottages which still had the bottle fuse type units.

Perhaps it will help you and others understand why some of us are so fanatical about making sure electrical work is done properly and don't like it when others are too complacent.

oh yes - indeed of course it does .. and I have even heard of others in the past who couldnt even wire up a 13a plug attempt to fix their house wiring or put in an extra socket - crazy

I suppose if people want to save money they go down that road , its silly and dangerous indeed but thats what happens.

Its like the people who if they have a fault on their car want to roll up their sleeves and attempt it instead of leaving it into a garage .. not the same thing as doing your own electrics but you know what I mean.

Thankfully with that HSA thing the majoritory of those things over the years were 'accidents' and not due to people carrying out their own electrical work so thats one thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Worst I've ever come across was an old relative from North Yorkshire. She was in her 80s had a house with EXTREMELY old wiring and the old fashioned British fuses that used fuse wire. You literally "mended" a fuse by replacing the wire between two screw terminals.

Anyway she had become tired of replacing fuses so stripped down some heavy gauge twin and earth and wired lumps of the conductors between the terminals.

I noticed a slight "hot electrics" smell in the hall. Went up to investigate and the fuses were so hot you couldn't even touch the exterior of the fuse board!
    I cut the power and opened the cover and they were still glowing!!

She had also added on loads of extra sockets over the years just daisy chaining them onto whatever circuits she could find and putting in "stronger fuses".

We ended up doing a bit of a whip around and paying to get her house rewired and done that week. It was a relatively small house so wasn't that big a deal to do.

She was a nightmare for DIY though and thought nothing of just having a go at the wiring.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Worst I've ever come across was an old relative from North Yorkshire. She was in her 80s had a house with EXTREMELY old wiring and the old fashioned British fuses that used fuse wire. You literally "mended" a fuse by replacing the wire between two screw terminals.

Anyway she had become tired of replacing fuses so stripped down some heavy gauge twin and earth and wired lumps of the conductors between the terminals.

I noticed a slight "hot electrics" smell in the hall. Went up to investigate and the fuses were so hot you couldn't even touch the exterior of the fuse board!
    I cut the power and opened the cover and they were still glowing!!

She had also added on loads of extra sockets over the years just daisy chaining them onto whatever circuits she could find and putting in "stronger fuses".

We ended up doing a bit of a whip around and paying to get her house rewired and done that week. It was a relatively small house so wasn't that big a deal to do.

She was a nightmare for DIY though and thought nothing of just having a go at the wiring.

my grandad used to 'repair' fuses in his 13a plugs with the foil from his fag packet or a bit of tin foil LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Not my pic, but I have seen welders do this frequently

https://www.veriserv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/GPenm-plug-with-bolt.jpg

Not my pic, but I have seen welders do this frequently

https://www.veriserv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/GPenm-plug-with-bolt.jpg

wow - never seen that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

wow - never seen that :eek:

Would be common enough alright

Probably less so now with the prevalence of 16amp sockets

Advertisement