Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough - The Trendy New Quarter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

I hate bow ez
    C'mon de hoops

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

SoDoSoPa.

Ah, you may laugh, but some morkeshing c*nts actually tried that in Dublin...meet SOBO :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I see potential as our very own little lagos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It has a gorgeous shopping centre in fairness
    nah, doesn't come close

The Crumlin Shopping Centre, a beacon of hope in a world slowly slipping into darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Fierce smell of piss off the whole city though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'm struggling to think of anything interesting or trendy about Phibsboro. It has an awful shopping centre, it's near a prison, it looks a bit run down and there seems to be a lot of closed shops in the village. The pubs aren't particularly great either.

I do like the canal basin and its also close to the city centre. Would I like to live there? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

wakka12 wrote: »

I really like Phibs

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My Aul fella will be delighted he grew up facing Mc Gowans pub, He started the posh thing by marrying into and settling south side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's a sad indictment of mass tourism, hipsterism, internet narcissism etc that you could switch the names of the cities in the article around and you'd hardly notice the difference. No matter where in the world you go these days it's the same bland ****e pretending to be innovative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Lived there in the 80s. The Hut Bar and the Brian Boro were grand spots with a good mix of people. And of course the legend that was Jackie Jameson of Bohs. A great player, decent lad who left us far too soon. Worth the admission fee alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I hate bow ez
    C'mon de hoops

Tallaght might make the list.

Actually, it won't.

sugarman wrote: »
    +1.

Add to that the crumbling ****hole that is Dalymount.

There there pumpkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SoDoSoPa.

Ah, you may laugh, but some morkeshing c*nts actually tried that in Dublin...meet SOBO :rolleyes:

If these idiots every think their sh!te will be taken up by Dubs they are very much mistaken.

https://www.visitdublin.com/dublin-vibrant-city-quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see they have Peckham London on the list too. In all my years living in London ,and I haven't been to all parts of it, but I would describe Peckham as the single most horrible place in London by far. The population there give you the impression they just jumped off the back of a lorry to get there and that's no exaggeration.

I do however personally like Phibs as it my first introduction to Dublin as my aunt lives there and I lived there for a while when I was in college. Very handy for the city only a 12 min walk from where I was. It's a pity it's so run down as I think it has potential. Have to say since some have mentioned Rathmines, I was more than a bit surprised and disappointed when I meandered down there once - talk about being overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Phibsbudda

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

From my experience of gentrification in London Trendy usually means full of d1ckheads who drive up the price of rent and drive out the character of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

steddyeddy wrote: »
    From my experience of gentrification in London Trendy usually means full of d1ckheads who drive up the price of rent and drive out the character of a place.
    Never mind the price of rent what about the price of avocado on toast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

steddyeddy wrote: »

I agree sometimes but sometimes gentrification is good and is a very much needed change to a ****ty area that people call character but I don't see how dangerous and poor is character

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hmmm...I wonder if homeowners and landlords in Phibsborough were in touch with Time Out? An article like that won’t do their property prices and rents charged any harm...

...whilst we have the worst housing crisis in Dublin since the 1960s.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I bought in phibsborough about 2 1/2 years ago . It's definitely on the up if you measure it in terms of cafes and pubs - the back page, 2 boys brew, the baldy eagle, Doyle's pub just renovated, bang bang cafe. The up and coming rathmines as someone else said.

Plus amy hubbermans character in that Striking Out tv show lives there, that alone must be worth 20 points on the gentrification scale.

Famous Phibsboro residents
    James Joyce...wrote the odd book or 2
    Brush Shiels. Told Phil Lynnot to go home and practise his guitar playing before throwing him of his band Skid Row.
    Ronan Collins..RTE, ex showband drummer
    The Memories ...showband famous in the 60s
    Harry Boland...sidekick of Michael Collins until they took opposite sides in the Civil War
    Feel free to add

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tallaght might make the list.

Actually, it won't.
    Ah, The Square.

So called because the locals couldn't spell pyramide.

Pyramid...even

Famous Phibsboro residents
    James Joyce...wrote the odd book or 2
    Brush Shiels. Told Phil Lynnot to go home and practise his guitar playing before throwing him of his band Skid Row.
    Ronan Collins..RTE, ex showband drummer
    The Memories ...showband famous in the 60s
    Harry Boland...sidekick of Michael Collins until they took opposite sides in the Civil War
    Feel free to add

Sheridan Le Fanu author of gothic horror stories was born on Dominick st, not sure is that technically phibsborough but close enough.

Brush is a resident? Teaching the bauld Philo how to play bass has kept that guy in late late show interviews for 40 odd years, legend!

Brush grew up on the Phibsboro Road near where the Red Windmill pub was
    Its called something else now.

Brush grew up on the Phibsboro Road near where the Red Windmill pub was
    Its called something else now.

The back page I believe.

The back page. Thats probably it.
    Across the Road from Davys ( as it was known, John Davy was the owner)
    Davys is The Phibsboro House now

Ah, The Square.

So called because the locals couldn't spell pyramide.

Hmmmm quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

SoDoSoPa.

Underappreciated comment but Phibsboro is at most, fine. I like it and have lived here for over 15 years but it's nothing special. Nice pubs, proximity to town and a decent population of country folk can only go so far. There are still a lot of people wandering about that haven't been properly gentrified. Phibsboro needs more work in my opinion.

Advertisement