Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough - The Trendy New Quarter?

Options
  • 21-09-2018 2:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see Time Out magazine have decreed that Phibsborough - basically the Rathmines of Northside Dublin - is one of its top 50 trendy hot new urban quarters...(it's No 27 out of 50)

Link:
    https://www.timeout.com/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world

Anyone else think, ehm, this is just a tad of an exaggeration? The place is chock full of charity shops, looks shabby and has that monstrosity of a shopping centre that needs to be pulled down and rebuilt ASAP. Yes, it now has the LUAS and is close to town and the Royal Canal basin is a gem but really??

Or do you think Phibsboro is indeed the chic new hot hip urban district?

Answers on a post(card)...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rathmines is fairly sh*te as well to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A way to justify high rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I see Time Out magazine have decreed that Phibsborough - basically the Rathmines of Northside Dublin - is one of its top 50 trendy hot new urban quarters...(it's No 27 out of 50)

Link:
    https://www.timeout.com/coolest-neighbourhoods-in-the-world

Anyond else think, ehm, this is just a tad of an exaggeration? The place is chock full of charity shops, looks shabby and has that monstrosity of shopping centre that needs to be pulled down and rebuilt ASAP. Yes, it now has the LUAS and is close to town and the Royal Canal basin is a gem but really??

Or do you think Phibsboro is indeed the chic new hot hip urban district?

Answers on a post(card)...

Yup, pulling down that eyesore would be a great start to improving the aesthetics of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ush1 wrote: »
    Rathmines is fairly sh*te as well to be honest.

What's wrong with Rathmines?

Has pretty much everything, nice and close to town

Phisboro isn't near the level of Rathmines but probably will be in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The place is chock full of charity shops, looks shabby and has that monstrosity of shopping centre
    Those are the very reasons it's considered trendy I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Thought stoneybatter is sort of a North side rathmines these days?

I mean isn't it above phibsboro now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Dublin Forum

For people who give a ****e about Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Phibsborough went downhill after they closed the Silver Skate ice rink. Great craic back in the day trying to skate around to skanger tunes in disease-ridden ice skates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It has a gorgeous shopping centre in fairness

Phibsboro-shopping-centre.jpg?mtime=20180829191656

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Planning permission was given recently to redevelop it
    image.jpg

I really like Phibs, and sotneybatter, think they have a lot of character, I don't think they're as nice as rathmines yet but I think when DIT campus is fully operational it will be quite a lively area

I don't think rathmines is all that great though it has nice restaurants but its a bit messy looking and very car dominated, its lovely towards the portobello end by the canal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There about 20 years too late. The shopping center is the ugliest building in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I lived in Phibsborough for 5 years. I liked it. My house was nice and it’s close to town. But trendy it ain’t. And part from the Two Boys Brew coffee shop, I can’t see much difference in the area since I moved away from the area eight years ago. In fact, tacky shopfronts have proliferated since then and pretty much every butcher shop has closed down.

Phibsboro is just as close to town. That alone will keep rents at a high level. And IMO, the rental stock is of generally higher quality in Phibsboro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

pure kip Rathmines.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Dublin Forum

For people who give a ****e about Dublin

There’s always one chip-on-the-shoulderee.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

I grew up in Cabra. If we wanted to pretend we were "posh " we told people we were from Phibsboro.
    So silly as is all petty snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I found rare loot in there and the Radium rifle from Fallout 4. Ghouls can be difficult to kill though and Mutants are unusually aggressive.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ah Phibsborough is a very nice area and it has Mcgowans which is probably the best spot in Dublin for a night out.. Drumcondra is a bit nicer though

The model proposal for the new shopping centre already looks a bit dated tbh

The model proposal for the new shopping centre already looks a bit dated tbh
    It looks suspiciously similar to the Rathmines Square development... we're onto ye Phibsboro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I found rare loot in there and the Radium rifle from Fallout 4. Ghouls can be difficult to kill though and Mutants are unusually aggressive.
    yeah fair amount of mutants in nearby stoneybatter as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is pretty accurate to say it is the new Rathmines. Back in the day rathmines was very similar. When the Celtic tiger happened it became too expensive to stay as everything was being done up. The bedsits went due to laws and developers bought up what landlords didn't want to renovate. Lots of former students that lived there decided to stay and bought there too.

With DIT moving in so close by it is going to transform the area. Always relatively nice can't see the football stadium being there in 20 years.

It was a really good investment about 5 years ago with some very large property selling for under €500k but needing a lot of work.

Long term Phibsborough will be like Rathmines and a good investment for a pension so will attract investment. Seriously considered it but the thought of doing up a 4 story victorian property that was neglected and rented out for decades just drove me away. Been there done that

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Those magazines are full of ****e, same with the Indo. Trendy my arse. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

SoDoSoPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A prison sorry 2 are right next to it ????? I'm lost.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I lived in Phibsborough for 5 years. I liked it. My house was nice and it’s close to town. But trendy it ain’t. And part from the Two Boys Brew coffee shop, I can’t see much difference in the area since I moved away from the area eight years ago. In fact, tacky shopfronts have proliferated since then and pretty much every butcher shop has closed down.

My mum flatted in phibsboro in the seventies while working as a nurse in what was st brendans hospital ( long closed).

She says back then phibsboro was viewed as way posher than stoneybatter, I know both well enough but I've been told by several people that while stoneybatter has perhaps gentrified more than anywhere else in the capital?

Phibsboro if anything has seen its" status" wean this past few decades?

Might be bullsh1t example of changing fickle perceptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Prefer Fizzbra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There’s always one chip-on-the-shoulderee.

He's from Cork.. Enough said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Trendy or not, to get on that list is quite an accolade - fair dues!

Advertisement