Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officers 2018 in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I think they send them out in batches according to results, passed first and then failed later.
    Hopefully I am wrong as I am waiting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Doogie34

LordBasil wrote: »
    You should get a message even if you've failed as you're still entitled to results. If you don't get any message soon, contact PAS.

Cool thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Doogie34 wrote: »
    Nothing in mine either maybe that means we failed ... oh well

Glad it's not just me. I didn't think i did that badly, but who knows. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My results just came through now. I failed the questionnaire despite doing well on the verbal and numerical. I have really no idea how I failed that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

My results just came through now. I failed the questionnaire despite doing well on the verbal and numerical. I have really no idea how I failed that one.

Exact same here! :o

Ah well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Australia33

jr86 wrote: »
    Exact same here! :o

Ah well!

Same!! Passed last year!

I wouldn't mind I had actually half given up in the Numerical but ended up passing it easily

Sure look, what will be will be anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 NiallArmstrong

So difficult to know how they evaluate the assessment questionnaires.....this is the first time I've actually passed one...and even at that, I just got 41, the bare minimum.

I'm 983 for General Stream and 129 for Human Resources....hope I get called for Stage 1 in HR....any inside information on whether I've a chance would be appreciated....

Hard luck to those who didn't pass this time and well done to those who did....it's a long journey into the Civil Service....

*Stage 2 HR I should say....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ILIKECOCONUTS

I've not got my results yet, hopefully they come through soon. Curious now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

I've not got my results yet, hopefully they come through soon. Curious now

Same here!

So difficult to know how they evaluate the assessment questionnaires.....this is the first time I've actually passed one...and even at that, I just got 41, the bare minimum.

Would have assumed for anyone that - lets say - exaggerated their prowess, that this would perhaps be explored at an interview for example, and that you couldn't really fail someone even if they claimed to be 'better than most' at the majority of aspects. But for myself I was just honest throughout anyway

Would have thought that the 'scenario' part would have been the one assessed in terms of grading, but to be honest I gave the politically correct answer in each case

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

does anyone think there is a chance for a stage 2 call if I place 1500 in the general stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The better than most thing bugs me.

Theyre looking for people with a degree and probably a masters.
    Most of the "better than most" questions are at least partially targetted at academic skills. I've spent years learning to be better than most at those things as have all applicants. What sort of gradation of applicant's are they hoping to make?

Would have assumed for anyone that - lets say - exaggerated their prowess, that this would perhaps be explored at an interview for example, and that you couldn't really fail someone even if they claimed to be 'better than most' at the majority of aspects. But for myself I was just honest throughout anyway

Would have thought that the 'scenario' part would have been the one assessed in terms of grading, but to be honest I gave the politically correct answer in each case

It's a tough one deciding how honest to be....it didn't work out for me in previous tests I did so I had to take a different approach and try to figure out "what they want". Failing it might lead one to conclude that perhaps the job isn't for you but I don't buy this...I think Civil Service work would really suit my temperament even if my previous failures keep telling me that it wouldn't!!

It does feel a bit wrong just clicking 'Better Than Most' for absolutely everything though....

It does feel a bit wrong just clicking 'Better Than Most' for absolutely everything though....

True!

However, for example, if you're straight out of a tiny course in university or maybe have worked in a small business with a tiny team, you could well actually be 'better than most' at pretty much everything - given you're using a tiny sample size. You may well be better than most at nearly everything anyway - regardless!

This is information you could easily clarify in an interview situation

True!

However, for example, if you're straight out of a tiny course in university or maybe have worked in a small business with a tiny team, you could well actually be 'better than most' at pretty much everything - given you're using a tiny sample size. You may well be better than most at nearly everything anyway - regardless!

This is information you could easily clarify in an interview situation

Ha ha ha. You're right. There is absolutely no room whatsoever for nuance with these things...at least for Stage 1. The scenarios break my heart every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

The questionnaire is a lottery, easily passed it on EO a few months back and the majority of the questions were identical to the AO one and I failed it by 8 points this time. Speechless. Did very well on the numerical and verbal so this is extra disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

I was ranked 3080 on a previous EO competition and still made it to stage two six months later. Maybe that has some implication on this one?

Came 911, we shall see. Well done to ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Lol. So I got very high scores on Verbal and Numerical, way past the passing mark...but I failed because I am below the "graduate assessment" questionnaire.

It is a complete waste of time then studying and doing good for the verbal and numerical, if they have some highly secretive rubix cube way of scoring the job-specific assessment that no one can prepare for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

nesthead wrote: »
    The questionnaire is a lottery, easily passed it on EO a few months back and the majority of the questions were identical to the AO one and I failed it by 8 points this time. Speechless. Did very well on the numerical and verbal so this is extra disappointing.

Yep. I have passed previous questionnaires that if I recalled were rather similar, yet this one I fail by 7 points. I do not understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Drieneba44!

does anyone think there is a chance for a stage 2 call if I place 1500 in the general stream?

I reckon the "correct" answers in the questionnaire are decided the same way the test ones on the publicjobs site are: by getting existing managers and "experts" etc in the CS to do them and comparing your answers to theirs. That's the only way I can really understand the arbitrariness of them and their reluctance to explain how they assess them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Well that was my first ever attempt at this or any public sector application and I am 1271 in the general stream.

The numerical test was the bloody hardest by a mile for me and I have worked with various level of stats in the pharma industry over the last decade.

Totally different and a lot more pressurised to any tests Ive taken in the private sector ever.

Well done to everyone who took this on regardless of how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Loudboy

Got 111 on OOM for General Stream

"The next stage of the selection process is expected to commence the week of Monday 3rd December 2018. Those highest placed candidates that come under consideration for this stage will hear from us shortly" - so hope to get called for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Just out of curiousity - what would be the ball park figure for the total number of applications for this campaign may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gorry

So difficult to know how they evaluate the assessment questionnaires.....this is the first time I've actually passed one...and even at that, I just got 41, the bare

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gorry

Gorry wrote: »
    So difficult to know how they evaluate the assessment questionnaires.....this is the first time I've actually passed one...and even at that, I just got 41, the

Hi Niall
    What did you get on the verbal. I got 41 as well on the assessment but im way back in the 2000s. Thought it was the assesment that was my downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irumudikkilli

Placed 1125 on the General Stream, surprisingly bad verbal score (verbal 45, numerical 72, assessment 62). Good luck to those moving on to the next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Laraghcon21

Can I ask what the “correct” answers are for the questionnaire for those who passed as this was my downfall too?

Advertisement