Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officers 2018 in the Civil Service

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply to the civil service as either an EO or AO (I don't mind which). Unfortunately, I've missed the boat on this competition. I wonder if anyone knows when/if another open call is likely to come up for either level?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply to the civil service as either an EO or AO (I don't mind which). Unfortunately, I've missed the boat on this competition. I wonder if anyone knows when/if another open call is likely to come up for either level?

Thanks

There is normally an annual competition for both, which presumably would be called in the coming months. Keep an eye on Publicjobs.ie- you can set up an alert there to be e-mailed when specific criteria are met. It will also likely be discussed here in this forum (when its called).

There is normally an annual competition for both, which presumably would be called in the coming months. Keep an eye on Publicjobs.ie- you can set up an alert there to be e-mailed when specific criteria are met. It will also likely be discussed here in this forum (when its called).

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Susan O

Does anybody know how far down the panel they are now? The process seems to take so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Susan O wrote: »
    Does anybody know how far down the panel they are now? The process seems to take so long.

Pretty sure they've exhausted this panel! I saw on FB they announced that they're putting the final touches together for the new 2019 panel :|

• Advertisement

citygal93 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they've exhausted this panel! I saw on FB they announced that they're putting the final touches together for the new 2019 panel :|

Just because they're finalising the 2019 competition does not mean the 2018 panel is exhausted. Its quite normal for significant numbers of people on panels to have the panels lapse unplaced. The existence of a 2019 competition has no bearing whatsoever on what is happening with the 2018 panel. The agreement with DPER and Forsa is that there will be an annual competition- and the pre-existing panel will lapse on 31st October.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Just because they're finalising the 2019 competition does not mean the 2018 panel is exhausted. Its quite normal for significant numbers of people on panels to have the panels lapse unplaced. The existence of a 2019 competition has no bearing whatsoever on what is happening with the 2018 panel. The agreement with DPER and Forsa is that there will be an annual competition- and the pre-existing panel will lapse on 31st October.

perhaps I should have clarified that a colleague further down the panel received an email saying that they wouldn't be taking more from this panel. Whether he's for a regional or Dublin post or not, I don't know.

I hear you- I'm on a regional panel and have received (verbally) the same information from PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Can I ask what counties outside of Dublin have candidates actually been assigned to?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

In anticipation of a 2019 comp, can anyone tell me how many, roughly, were panelled and taken off for Dublin from the 2018 panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Susan O

I phoned them this morning and was told that they reached 450 from the general panel and had no plans to call any more at the moment. I was that they usually advertise the next competition in October so it is best to watch out for that. Therefore those of us who haven't been called - won't be called. We will just have to do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Susan O wrote: »
    I phoned them this morning and was told that they reached 450 from the general panel and had no plans to call any more at the moment. I was that they usually advertise the next competition in October so it is best to watch out for that. Therefore those of us who haven't been called - won't be called. We will just have to do it all over again.

Thanks for the info. I guess that is 450 to get to interview rather than 450 taken off post-interview panel for jobs.
    approx. how many offered jobs off this panel in Dublin?

Yep, seems the previous few years they have advertised around 20-something September .. so not long to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gaillimhjon

I've just seen on the PAS instagram that the next campaign will open on the 1st of October. Here we go again it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've just seen on the PAS instagram that the next campaign will open on the 1st of October. Here we go again it seems!

Effort!!

But sure I'll throw my hat back in the ring

I wonder will they have confined streams again?
    They seem to have pulled dozens of people from the Finance Stream this time round- I'd hazard a guess that it was even more popular than the general stream. I thought I'd definitely get an offer from the IR stream- but was extremely surprised to get a Finance offer first, followed by a general offer (I turned them down hoping to get a regional offer- which of course never happened.........)

The 2018 HEO panel closes off at the end of this month too- the process has been a good learning experience...........

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

In the upcoming campaign there'll be 3 streams: Business & Finance, Human Resources and General :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

I wonder will they have confined streams again?
    They seem to have pulled dozens of people from the Finance Stream this time round- I'd hazard a guess that it was even more popular than the general stream. I thought I'd definitely get an offer from the IR stream- but was extremely surprised to get a Finance offer first, followed by a general offer (I turned them down hoping to get a regional offer- which of course never happened.........)

The 2018 HEO panel closes off at the end of this month too- the process has been a good learning experience...........

It is incredibly frustrating to enter the competition labelled 'Nationwide' when in fact some regional locations never get a candidate placed.
    Should one bite the bullet and take a role in Dublin in the hope of getting a transfer, however reading some other threads that seems as unlikely as being placed regionally to begin with.
    The mind boogles

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

Anyone else notice that this was only advertised 6 days before the closing date? Normally they give a fortnight. I only saw it this morning so I won’t bother. Pay isn’t worth it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

lucat wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that this was only advertised 6 days before the closing date? Normally they give a fortnight. I only saw it this morning so I won’t bother. Pay isn’t worth it either.

Thats probably to limited the number of candidates that aren't genuinely interested in the role.

It seems this year they are strictly recruiting for AO's in Dublin. its not listed as a nationwide campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

Hi all, sorry for posting on last year's thread, but I have the presentation and interview next Wed for the AO General Stream. I am just wondering, if it was done last year, does anyone have any tips for the presentation aspect of the assessment? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Jbh91

Hi,
    I’m just wondering if anyone has had any response from PAS? I submitted my application more than three weeks ago for the AO general scheme, came well within the 250 as well but have heard nothing since. Am I to presume that my application has been rejected or just keep waiting it out and hope they send me an email soon?

Cheers for any help you can offer me!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Jbh91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I’m just wondering if anyone has had any response from PAS? I submitted my application more than three weeks ago for the AO general scheme, came well within the 250 as well but have heard nothing since. Am I to presume that my application has been rejected or just keep waiting it out and hope they send me an email soon?

Cheers for any help you can offer me!

Call them. They should be able to give you an update there and then. I have always found them to be pretty helpful over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Annie_Ant

Is there anyone left reading this forum that was placed on the 2018 AO Finance stream specifically? If so, where did you end up? I'm in the early teens on the 2019 AO finance stream so am wondering how likely it is that I will be called soon, and where I'm likely to end up. I haven't been called for the general stream so might need to take this one and see what/if anything comes through the general stream too. Would love to stay in my current dept but they only have about 5 AOs, most of whom are IGEES.

Advertisement