Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm licence ammo limit stupidity

Options
  • 20-09-2018 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Hi I just got back my licence for a Springer air rifle with an ammo allowance of 100 pelets but the ammo generally comes in tins of 500

should I collect my firearm and look for an amendment or what I asked for 1k (two tins) maby this is just a clerical error

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,go back with that one and tell them your "ammo" only comes in 500 round tins.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Hi I just got back my licence for a Springer air rifle with an ammo allowance of 100 pelets but the ammo generally comes in tins of 500

should I collect my firearm and look for an amendment or what I asked for 1k (two tins) maby this is just a clerical error

thanks for the help

The exact same thing happened to me last year. I collected my gun because I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

I then contacted the Firearms Officer and he advised me to write a letter outlining why I wanted/needed an increase in pellet allowance.

I gave him the letter and had a new licence issued for 500 pellets at no extra cost within a couple of weeks.

Maybe we have the same inspector in charge of licence's?

I mentioned in my letter that the pellets were basically just little bits of lead not unlike little fishing weights and could not be bought in quantities of 100.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

thanks lads they must default to 100 rounds to all applications, not exactly an AK I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I mentioned in my letter that the pellets were basically just little bits of lead not unlike little fishing weights and could not be bought in quantities of 100.

Ireland must be the only country in the world, that requires a licence for inert (as in not containing any primer or propellant powder) lead pellets. The land of father ted right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

fergus1001 wrote: »

thanks for the help

Its nothing so simple as a clerical error, unfortunately.

It happened to me a few years ago on a sub. It was at 1000 and came back at 100

I called the firearms officer and explained that I could not purchase one fifth of a packet of anything and also that by reducing the limit on sub that they now had put me in a position whereby I was in breach of my licence.

The lady proceeded to tell me that it was......wait for it....... Part of an 'unwritten directive' from the super to reduce ammo in the district.

When i asked if the super actually reduced it on my application or not..... I was told 'no, it was the Sargent, acting on the (unwritten) directive

I asked for a meeting with the super and was told it wasn't necessarily. My response was that I felt it was entirely necessary. I also questioned the logic as to why I had significantly larger quantities on each of my centre fires and explained that pellets were inert pieces of lead with no live components

Long and the short or it they apparently rang the fpu and got it sorted.

I rang afterwards to get a meeting with the super and they told me that I was over reacting and I said that to the best of my knowledge only the super can reduce my allowance on a sub, like for like and that whereby I accept that the firearms officer could act on behalf of the super, they could not just make up policy on the fly and that i would be happy to challenge this as far as the district Court. They asked it I would really do that :D Of course I would says I :)

Interestingly, i never heard a single word about it from them but im sure that it will raise its head again.

If you went to the local fishing shop and purchased 10000 5.5 mm lead shot, they might not have the same performance or ballistic coefficient :D but they would still be usable :D

They have no idea as to the difference between pellets and live ammunition.

This in itself, is frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Did you get back on to the FO about this?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Cass wrote: »
    Did you get back on to the FO about this?

I have been trying to get onto the FO about it but she is either off or unavailable whenever i call or actually go into the station and it is very frustrating at this stage

(this is the kildare district)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Try a letter. Registered post if needs be.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Better still,drop off the letter in person to the station office and get the name of the duty Garda whom you handed it to.note time and date as well,and start keeping a written log of all events since you had the start of the problem.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement