Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior UK Police Officer faces the sack after saying the phrase 'whiter than white'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

Hey look – it's that niggard guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It doesnt matter if Shakespeare used similar, or whatever was acceptable in the past, racist slurs such as 'wh***r than wh**e' are so grossly offensive to b***k people that the sanction cannot be argued. This is not 1600.
    The wh**e-good, bl**k-bad equivalence is so deep in many people, and such an ingrained bias, that highlighted and forcibly rooting it our like this case is the only way to counter it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Edgware wrote: »
    Where London leads Ireland follows. Plenty gob****es would have the Gardai go all P.C.

All ‘police constable’?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

racist slurs such as 'wh***r than wh**e' are so grossly offensive to b***k people that the sanction cannot be argued. This is not 1600.

Whiter than white is not a racist slur and I doubt very much if a black person would take offence to this innocuous saying.

Stop the world! I want to get off! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It doesnt matter if Shakespeare used similar, or whatever was acceptable in the past, racist slurs such as 'wh***r than wh**e' are so grossly offensive to b***k people that the sanction cannot be argued. This is not 1600.
    The wh**e-good, bl**k-bad equivalence is so deep in many people, and such an ingrained bias, that highlighted and forcibly rooting it our like this case is the only way to counter it.

and the need to take offence at any perceived slight also seems to be ingrained in some people.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

patmac wrote: »
    I think the police should be 'whiter than white' when investigating this matter and make sure everything is above board.

Would that be a white board or a black board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Afraid I can only give you 2/10 for trolling on this one.

It was way too obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dyeuYpC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭dixiedan

I assumed the comment above was a pi$$take??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's it's getting harder to tell is a reflection of how corrupted discourse has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

dixiedan wrote: »
    I assumed the comment above was a pi$$take??

My initial reading of it, was it is.
    But I'm not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You’ve changed mate.

The Matrix got him

Matrix-Morpheus.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The wanker that made the complaint and who is probably also a police officer should be sacked for being a complete and utter fcukibg prick and charged with wasting police time.

The world has gone fcukibg mad. Arseholes making stupid complaints like that deserve nothing but contempt and derision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Maybe these guys were involved.

giphy.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think the real issue here is how it takes 12 months to investigate three words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

Every day. Day by day, right on cue – it gets worse. Every day – it gets worse. Somebody is doing this on purpose – f***ing up the world, that is – but I don't know who, or why. B*stards!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There has to be more to this story. This sounds completely crazy on the face of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There has to be more to this story. This sounds completely crazy on the face of it.

.....cause aside from this the world today makes perfect sense

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

It'll all come out in the wash, in fact at the end of the day it will most likely get white washed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I'm blue in the face hearing this kind of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The gas thing is that the London Met is a racist organisation with a history of that racism being institutionalised but when some poor black fella gets thrown down the stairs nobody gives a f*ck while this is all over the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

FTA69 wrote: »
    when some poor black fella gets thrown down the stairs nobody gives a f*ck

Hey! He tripped and fell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Someone trying to blacken his good name

probably some blackguard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Christ. It’s like criticism I heard before about the phrase ‘black with people’ as in “the room was black with people”. FFS, it has nothing to do with skin colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Christ. It’s like criticism I heard before about the phrase ‘b***k with people’ as in “the room was b***k with people”. FFS, it has nothing to do with skin colour.

People who dont have white skin are people too. If there is a room full of people with non-white skin, you should just say it was full of people if you want to not be offensive. Do you really think if you said that about a room full of non-white people, you would not have been influenced by their skin colour ? And that some people would take it as offensive whether you did it consciously or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think the real issue here is how it takes 12 months to investigate three words.
    It was a complex investigation. These matters arent just black and white you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

People who dont have white skin are people too. If there is a room full of people with non-white skin, you should just say it was full of people if you want to not be offensive. Do you really think if you said that about a room full of non-white people, you would not have been influenced by their skin colour ? And that some people would take it as offensive whether you did it consciously or not ?

Why did you add asterisks there? I didn’t have those in my post.

It’s an old Irish phrase and the black part likely comes from the clothing mostly being black and other dark colours in those days. In a crowded place, the overall colour would be black. As Ireland even a century ago would be pretty much all white people, I think there was zero consideration of skin colour when using the phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Beneath the station’s domed basilica the waiting room was black with people struggling for directions, for baggage and the search for relatives or agents. A train from Song’s home province had come in fifty minutes earlier. Seeing another northern train due he made his way along the elevated walkway to platform twenty-seven, reading faces as he went. A squad of over fifty young men disembarked, each with a kit bag carrying all they possessed. They were in good humour and already had work, with fares paid for them before they left home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"Black with people" comes from the Irish dubh le daoine, it isn't about race for God's sake.

Advertisement