Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

For any of you who've done the camping before

Can you land any time Friday night? Atm it's looking like we won't land til 2am or so unfortunately

Pretty sure they steward it throughout the night - but just ring to check or ask them on their facebook page. We pitched at around 11 for GnR and had a few cans etc, then went to sleep around 1 and I think cars were still arriving then.

It's quite unfair that they remove food in fairness. I know they want the catering within the venue to make the most they can but it's a bit much. Bottles I can understand but normally they just ask you to remove the cap.

It is -especially given that lots of people have dietary requirements. I'm hoping that it won't be a washout as I'm planning to bbq a fair bit of our food there before and after the concert to cut down on the mental queues for a punnet of chips costing a fiver.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi, I will be driving to this gig, any idea where I would end up having to park? is there a designated area close to the venue?

My tickets are for zone A, probably wont see a thing but sure that's the way it goes, I will get out before the rush at the end so :)

Yes,you'll get guided to car parks (fields really!) by the stewards. From there it's usually a short walk to the venue. Maybe 10 or 15 mins walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Le Bruise wrote: »
    There were definitely people arriving well into the evening for GNR. Now I can't categorically say that people arrived as late as 2am, as I'd hit the hay by that stage, but there were certainly more tents/vans there in the morning than i had seen before going to bed!

Maybe give them a shout on their facebook page?

Got onto them on facebook and its anytime on friday night, always someone on the gate

6pm is the latest to leave Sunday as well, in case anyone wants to be careful with drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Ah ffs, no light sabers :mad:
    I brought my trident back to the shop and exchanged it for a 4 prong version, should be grand now.
    Neyite wrote: »
    They search all bags going in and will remove and bin any food or drink.
    did you see this happening at slane? what was the minimum you saw being thrown away?

My rain jacket has small reflective stripes but I would expect to get in. Some of these rules are to cover themselves a lad arriving with a huge backpack loaded with 500 snickers is going to be selling them and the size of the bag would be an annoyance. A lad with 1 snickers in a small backpack is going to get through. The reflective jacket thing must be for people posing as security or something.

The majority of people will have phones which are are "audio recorders"

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Shop40

Dublin Bus tickets on sale from today on Ticketmaster!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I brought my trident back to the shop and exchanged it for a 4 prong version, should be grand now.

did you see this happening at slane? what was the minimum you saw being thrown away?

My rain jacket has small reflective stripes but I would expect to get in. Some of these rules are to cover themselves a lad arriving with a huge backpack loaded with 500 snickers is going to be selling them and the size of the bag would be an annoyance. A lad with 1 snickers in a small backpack is going to get through. The reflective jacket thing must be for people posing as security or something.

The majority of people will have phones which are are "audio recorders"

My pat down was similar to what you'd get at airport security, patted down arms and legs, waistband checked, anyone with a hat had to take it off. My bag got a rummage and even my spare tampons got a bit of a feel. I didn't have any food in my bag but the bin did have what looked like tinfoil sandwiches that were confiscated. We could bring in water but cap taken off us. And at G'nR they gave us small plastic bags to put any liquids like make up or any stuff like inhalers into it for showing - like at airport security. It was definitely more thorough than previous years but maybe since the Batacan attack venues have changed policies?

It's probably best to try to find something that you can eat from the vendors inside or fill yourself up just before you go in with your own food. If you wanted you could probably chance bringing in a snack that you could afford to lose if they make you bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Neyite wrote: »
    It was definitely more thorough than previous years but maybe since the Batacan attack venues have changed policies?
    ah yes, I remember now all venues were going OTT with their "security theatre"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

stories of rakes of womens handbags all lying on the ground outside 3arena, (they got them back).

All that seemed to go away all of a sudden, as it should have.

As prices are so high inside it is definitely worth the risk IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just been fantasizing about the setlist:
    I'd love to hear them playing Black Rose. Not gonna happen I know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭klose

The Manchester bombing was the weekend before G'n'R probably why the security was (rightly) stricter than normal. I brought in a small bag with a few bits and it was grand.

klose wrote: »
    The Manchester bombing was the weekend before G'n'R probably why the security was (rightly) stricter than normal. I brought in a small bag with a few bits and it was grand.

Yes, I'd forgotten - I knew it was in response to a concert attack but had briefly forgot the Manchester bombing was at the same time.

Tbh, I didn't mind the searches either, we were camping so had brought a lot of our booze so wasn't bothered about smuggling any in. Kind of reassuring to see them be so thorough. They were very nice and polite about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,218 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

rubadub wrote: »
    ah yes, I remember now all venues were going OTT with their "security theatre"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater

stories of rakes of womens handbags all lying on the ground outside 3arena, (they got them back).

All that seemed to go away all of a sudden, as it should have.

As prices are so high inside it is definitely worth the risk IMO.

Wife had to dump her handbag at Pearl Jam in Berlin cos it was bigger than a4 size. All that was in it was a very light rain coat (which they checked). I'd imagine it'd be less strict here anyway, or so you'd hope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Once you enter the concert can you go in and out freely like back to your campsite if you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Once you enter the concert can you go in and out freely like back to your campsite if you wanted

i would seriously doubt it, it's usually no re-entrants. It's not like a typical music festival. Anyway the time to queue for entry/security etc it would deter anyone having to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I see ticket master are taking a cut off the Dublin bus tickets making it 67.50 for 2 tickets.

Been looking at Ghost live a bit recently, and disappointed to see the crowds in the European tour with Metallica not giving a crap about them

I hope they don't get the same treatment at Slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

No, it's not a part of the venue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Anybody still waiting to receive their tickets? I bought 2 VIP in the presale and still haven't received them. It's getting close, I'm starting to get exciting \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭klose

MobyDick wrote: »
    Anybody still waiting to receive their tickets? I bought 2 VIP in the presale and still haven't received them. It's getting close, I'm starting to get exciting \m/

I'd be contacting someone mate, less the three weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Anyone know if theres a bus running from trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Anyone know if theres a bus running from trim.

yeah, thats where i'm going from, Donie Quinn is doing buses every 20mins from mid morning, think its 20euro return

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

No you can't.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already.

Plan on driving up and back on the day. Does the car park fill up quickly? Would I want to get there reasonably early?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Just on the searching.

I was at the last two Slanes and both times ridiculously searched. They threatened that I couldn’t even bring my handbag in last time but after some talking I got it in. Wouldn’t let us through with 250ml sealed bottle of water. Found a half a sandwich in my bag and made me eat it or bin it. Hopefully from the campsite it might be easier this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

kg703 wrote: »
    Just on the searching.

I was at the last two Slanes and both times ridiculously searched. They threatened that I couldn’t even bring my handbag in last time but after some talking I got it in. Wouldn’t let us through with 250ml sealed bottle of water. Found a half a sandwich in my bag and made me eat it or bin it. Hopefully from the campsite it might be easier this time.

I dont remember anything excessive going from the campsite side, just the normal pat down.

threein99 wrote: »
    I dont remember anything excessive going from the campsite side, just the normal pat down.

Hate hearing this, I'd almost rather get a proper search, gonna be tempted now to bring in a naggin of something in a cooler bag or something

Got caught bringing in a few Jaigerbombs in our shoes at Tennants Vital in Belfast and had to down them then there and then which wasn't too pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Got caught bringing in a few Jaigerbombs in our shoes at Tennants Vital in Belfast and had to down them then there and then which wasn't too pleasant

How in the hell would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MobyDick wrote: »

Also got VIP tickets on the presale and I got them that almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The search at GnR coming from the Campsite was very thorough!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    How in the hell would you do that?

They came in a small shot ready bottle, only about 50ml i think with the plan of getting red bull once inside

Picked up a few in Tyrone for £2 iirc on the way, was well able to fit 2 of them inside a pair of runners but alas the security were onto us

Advertisement