Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My crappy paper Metallica ticket arrived yesterday too but a ticket for a different concert arrived today and that was a traditional style one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya ****ty ticket arrived today paid a bunch and that's what I got :(

Only listened to the new Gama Bomb this week fairly good those guys deserve the shot really....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

+1 for gama bomb they’d do a great job warming the crowd if they were on first

• Registered Users Posts: 37,840 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going too see Metallita tonight

Nice way too look forward to Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭klose

PTH2009 wrote: »
    going too see Metallita tonight

Nice way too look forward to Slane

Well? :D

I see they play blackned, really hope they play that at slane too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I haven't been to Slane before, any tips?
    What's food like? Drink? Bring our own? What's allowed and not allowed etc?

Small group of us travelling from Clare.

Getting a bus from Ennis to Limerick and then a bus from Limerick to Slane. Back on the sane bus after to Limerick and buses run from Limerick back to Ennis until 2am so hopefully we catch one of those home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

killanena wrote: »
    What's food like?

Huge queues for overpriced 1980s burger van type stuff.
    Drink?

45 minute queues for flat pre poured pints of bog standard píss
    Bring our own?

Nope if they search you they'll take it from you and chuck it in the bin.

Getting a bus from Ennis to Limerick and then a bus from Limerick to Slane. Back on the sane bus after to Limerick and buses run from Limerick back to Ennis until 2am so hopefully we catch one of those home.

You'll be lucky to be home before 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The Nal wrote: »

Some of the reasons I'll never go to Slane again. It's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Wooderson

**chortle**

Half hour/hour from Slane have a stop off to wolf all the grub to keep ye going for the day, grub there is overpriced junk.

Can bring a few to have on the stroll in but unlikely to get past checkpoints, no harm attempting the usual sneaky methods if you're a spirits drinker all the same.

Why on earth ye not hire a bus direct from Ennis?

Unfortunately it's wishful thinking you'll make a transfer bus at 2am. It will be about half hour walk to the buspark and GnR at Slane ended at around 10:45.

You confident everyone on your bus with drink likely to have been indulged will be as punctual as you? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭krusty411

What slane concert have you been to Nal? just curious as any time I've read a slane concert thread on here I've seen you bad mouth it in each one.

krusty411 wrote: »
    What slane concert have you been to Nal? just curious as any time I've read a slane concert thread on here I've seen you bad mouth it in each one.

2001 and 2002. Nothing has changed. If anything its gotten worse.

https://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/lord-henry-admits-to-serious-problems-with-slane-gig-26545999.html

The traffic, bar and food queues were well documented in 2017 too. They couldnt give a fúck about the concert goers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

They had a boojum there at Guns n Roses.

Can't say fairer than that.

Buses were side of the road job in 07 they have a set down area for them now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

2001 and 2002. Nothing has changed. If anything its gotten worse.

https://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/lord-henry-admits-to-serious-problems-with-slane-gig-26545999.html

The traffic, bar and food queues were well documented in 2017 too. They couldnt give a fúck about the concert goers.

When we went to Bon Jovi we left just as they were doing the encore and were back in town within about 40-50 mins

When we went to the Foo Fighters we just camped which i couldnt recommend more

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

killanena wrote:

Been a while since I've been to slane, but I'd make alternative travel arrangements, or alternative accommodation arrangements, you might make your limerick connection, but that's highly doubtful, as others have said, you d be lucky to get back to ennis in the early hours of the following morning, it's has been almost a 24hr affair for me in the past, and that was about 15 years ago. Camping probably was the best option, least amount of hassle anyway, but if that's not an option, maybe arrange accommodation elsewhere, enroute to ennis, maybe limerick itself? Is anyone running a private bus from ennis to the gig, and do you wanna really do that?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Been a while since I've been to slane, but I'd make alternative travel arrangements,

Yeah like going to Madrid, Amsterdam, Paris or Berlin. Somewhere nice. Flights for less than a 100 quid. And you don't have to go watch the band with a load of olé olérs in Meath!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Yeah like going to Madrid, Amsterdam, Paris or Berlin. Somewhere nice. Flights for less than a 100 quid. And you don't have to go watch the band with a load of olé olérs in Meath!

I'm glad you're not going, you sound f*cking miserable.

The Nal

So something you've only gone to twice and the last time was 17 years ago, and you reckon it's gotten worse since despite you not having first hand experience of it getting worse. Get a grip lad.

There's 80,000 plus people leaving a rural venue at the one time with only busses or cars to take them away. If people think they are going to be home within 35 minutes cause Google maps says so they are deluded, it's the same for any large event in a rural area such as GAA matches etc. Complaining about food van prices as if it's a slane only problem is also rediculous, the prices are the same at any other outdoor event.

You would be better off camping, there's not a chance of you being back in limerick before 2am, camp site is a two minute walk from the venue, you can drink cans in the camp site but won't be able to bring them in, food vans inside are decent enough Eddie rockets and I'm pretty sure supermac's were there last year if they suit. You'll be able to get a bus from the village the next day to Dublin and on home from there. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

So yeah first recommendation Spain...the origin of the chant! :pac:

Also did you know a recorded version was first released on a Belgian label recorded in 2 different languages French and Dutch!, pretty certain the Germans were singing it when they won the world cup also!

Anyway enjoy your travels!

The Nal

So something you've only gone to twice and the last time was 17 years ago, and you reckon it's gotten worse since despite you not having first hand experience of it getting worse. Get a grip lad.

There's 80,000 plus people leaving a rural venue at the one time with only busses or cars to take them away. If people think they are going to be home within 35 minutes cause Google maps says so they are deluded, it's the same for any large event in a rural area such as GAA matches etc. Complaining about food van prices as if it's a slane only problem is also rediculous, the prices are the same at any other outdoor event.

So are there not hour long queues for beer? Is there still only 3 bars? Are the toilets still a free for all?

MCD still don't pay enough Gardai overtime to be there, or pay for security to usher people out, or to direct traffic getting in and out, or to help in the carparks. Was the GnR gig not a nightmare to get in and out? With hour long bars queues?

Nothing has changed. The organisers simply don't provide enough facilities for the amount of people there. But they keep putting the gig on for one gig a decade midlands dwelling bog warriors. And drunk nordies.

So are there not hour long queues for beer? Is there still only 3 bars? Are the toilets still a free for all?

MCD still don't pay enough Gardai overtime to be there, or pay for security to usher people out, or to direct traffic getting in and out, or to help in the carparks. Was the GnR gig not a nightmare to get in and out? With hour long bars queues?

Nothing has changed. The organisers simply don't provide enough facilities for the amount of people there. But they keep putting the gig on for one gig a decade midlands dwelling bog warriors. And drunk nordies.

I've been going to slane since 92, there's only four of them since then I've not attended, I've not seen or experienced any 45 minute queues you mentioned in a earlier post that you've now pushed out to an hour in the last post, toilets are a free for all anywhere including the three arena, are you that mollycoddled that you need someone to take you by the hand and lead you to a designated toilet?

There's three bars still with plenty of people serving at them sufficient enough every one in the venue doesn't decide to buy a pint at the exact same time.

Gnr wasn't a disaster to get out of from what I seen, no worse than leaving electric picnic, oxegen/witnness, feile, malahide castle or any other concert I've been to that's a large scale event.

I've been going to slane since 92, there's only four of them since then I've not attended, I've not seen or experienced any 45 minute queues you mentioned in a earlier post that you've now pushed out to an hour in the last post, toilets are a free for all anywhere including the three arena, are you that mollycoddled that you need someone to take you by the hand and lead you to a designated toilet?

There's three bars still with plenty of people serving at them sufficient enough every one in the venue doesn't decide to buy a pint at the exact same time.

Gnr wasn't a disaster to get out of from what I seen, no worse than leaving electric picnic, oxegen/witnness, feile, malahide castle or any other concert I've been to that's a large scale event.

Any other Irish event you mean. Picnic is a bit better but Oxegen and Malahide are/were a disaster too. The common denominator is MCD.

Any other Irish event you mean. Picnic is a bit better but Oxegen and Malahide are/were a disaster too. The common denominator is MCD.

We live in Ireland, picnic traffic is the same as any other event, I thought malahide traffic management was fantastic last year, home 25 mins after concerts finished. Jesus I'd hate to see the moaning you'd have done if you'd gone to feile haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The common denominator I think, is you've never actually been to any of the above.

Malahide I got to the motorway in 15 minutes. Oxegen was never an issue and EP is in the middle of nowhere, expect queues.

Slane is the same, you get to the exit towards the end of the set, get moving the second it ends, and get collected at the Collon side, drogheda and navan are mental. Got from gate to drogs in 40 minutes after gnr.

Anyway back on topic, therapy? Would be a fantastic addition as the irish band for this, 25th anniversary for troublegum also this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

You're so right and all those disagreeing with you are deluded to what well run one day gigs or festivals are. Slane is a yearly mecca for knuckle dragging gombeens who are clueless to the music but might be well versed in one or two songs, this year no doubt they will have the " now i lay me down to sleep" part of Enter sandman partly memorized. Slane is a magnet for every sort of dipstick you'd avoid in every other social environment. Granted the place will have a large number of genuine Metallica fans but they will sadly be engulfed in a sea of gimps. Mix that with the absolute logistic nightmare that slane provides, its not worth it. More people should just catch these sort of events in continental Europe for very different vibe and not even that much more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭kg703

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You're so right and all those disagreeing with you are deluded to what well run one day gigs or festivals are. Slane is a yearly mecca for knuckle dragging gombeens who are clueless to the music but might be well versed in one or two songs, this year no doubt they will have the " now i lay me down to sleep" part of Enter sandman partly memorized. Slane is a magnet for every sort of dipstick you'd avoid in every other social environment. Granted the place will have a large number of genuine Metallica fans but they will sadly be engulfed in a sea of gimps. Mix that with the absolute logistic nightmare that slane provides, its not worth it. More people should just catch these sort of events in continental Europe for very different vibe and not even that much more expensive.

Don’t feed the trolls.

Without anymore pointless posts like the one above I have been to Slane, camping this time. Yes queues aren’t great for anything and getting home will take a long time. Just prepare for that.

But the craic will be mighty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

How are the ticket sales going for this? I was at Guns N Roses in Slane two years ago and I would love to see the kings of metal in the iconic venue.
    Will a big name support act be announced or do we have the full lineup now?

Advertisement