Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica for Slane 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Degag wrote: »
    They are most definitely not mainstream in this country. As another poster said, they get next to no airplay on Irish radio and if they do it's one of two songs. They also get next to no media attention barring Slane, which they did, well because it was Slane.
    Metallica are more mainstream than those radio stations mentioned by that poster :D

Their last couple of dodgy albums were top of the charts here even without much airplay showing exactly what non mainstream acts do so well...oh

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Degag wrote: »
    They are most definitely not mainstream in this country. As another poster said, they get next to no airplay on Irish radio and if they do it's one of two songs. They also get next to no media attention barring Slane, which they did, well because it was Slane.

Worldwide, perhaps.
    You're both judging what's mainstream on dying media formats, then? Those aforementioned stations cater to a particular selection of agreeable genres and time periods from musical history. It's such a narrow bandwidth representation of musical popularity. You may as well say the Premier League isn't mainstream because you don't really get it on RTE One.

Aslan get played every five minutes on the radio, and they have about as much mainstream relevance to 18-30 year olds as Burzum.

Maybe you're both referencing a very specific, visibility based, piped-into-suburbia handle on the term 'mainstream', and that's fair enough, but for me it means massively popular and - further - conventional. Not a diss - and admittedly I'm coming from a lot of my recreational time being spent listening to extreme metal and going to gigs with 20 heads at the things - but when every Tom, Dick and Harry are bussing up to Slane to see 'Tallica then you've hit the mainstream.

Using my own moody teenage years as a barometer, I can't imagine many mosher kids anymore adorning themselves with Metallica merch to show off their tribal status. They've proper crossed over, like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭kg703

They are mainstream for heavy rock to be fair. 99% if people I know have heard of them and even people not into metal at all know Sandman.

Anyway who cares!

Tomorrow three weeks I’ll be heading to S&M2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

kg703 wrote: »
    They are mainstream for heavy rock to be fair. 99% if people I know have heard of them and even people not into metal at all know Sandman.

Anyway who cares!

Tomorrow three weeks I’ll be heading to S&M2 ;)

Big time I think the people who seem to care most are those who oddly use mainstream as a term that means if it's popular it must be sh1te. The stuff they like such as Metallica they simply must deny they are mainstream to keep the mind at ease. 220+ pages of discussion on boards ffs.

No cinema nearby showing S&M 2 for me I thinks, may have to roadtrip.

No cinema for me either, the real deal.

Very very excited

Did anyone get their ghost tickets by the way? I never heard back from them after the offered them to me.

I also already have ghost tickets :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Penfailed

No cinema for me either, the real deal.

Very very excited

Wow! Enjoy :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Very nice. How'd you get tickets?

I didn't get near a one on either of the pre sales.

Pulled every single string I had in my arsenal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Holy shít!

Capture.png

More info here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Nal wrote: »
    Holy shít!

Capture.png

More info here!!

D'ya honestly think anyone's gonna fall for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Holy shít!

Capture.png

More info here!!

Do indeed think they will play Slane in 2020 but wont be announced til a few weeks before xmas m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Holy shít!

Capture.png

More info here!!

d1ckhead

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭klose

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do indeed think they will play Slane in 2020 but wont be announced til a few weeks before xmas m

Local cinema is getting s&m 2 delighted cant wait to see it. Really hard to guess which new songs will be added to it

I'd say the day that never comes will get played at it? Hopefully the likes of bleeding me, outlaw thorn and hero of the day are played again. Will they finally play fixxxer?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

klose wrote: »
    I'd say the day that never comes will get played at it? Hopefully the likes of bleeding me, outlaw thorn and hero of the day are played again. Will they finally play fixxxer?

Bleeding Me and Outlaw thorn are great songs but knowing Metallica they will try and go mainstream and some of the lesser known will be changed this time around

the original S&M had some unique songs from the load/reload era. Suppose it was the 90s

Id love if we saw a Unforgiven Melody

The gigs are being filmed in September so we will know in advance before the movie comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Did anyone get their ghost tickets by the way? I never heard back from them after the offered them to me.

Yeah got mine, did you reply back and confirm your address with them after they offered them?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bleeding Me and Outlaw thorn are great songs but knowing Metallica they will try and go mainstream and some of the lesser known will be changed this time around

the original S&M had some unique songs from the load/reload era. Suppose it was the 90s

Id love if we saw a Unforgiven Melody

The gigs are being filmed in September so we will know in advance before the movie comes out

They played outlaw tonight, bodes well for SM2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

They played outlaw tonight, bodes well for SM2

That, Ktulu and The Day That Never Comes look nailed on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Is there bootleg for this floating around anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is there bootleg for this floating around anywhere?

For Slane? If you still have your ticket you put the barcode number in on livemetallica.com and ya get a professionally recorded mp3 of the whole gig, rather good it is too

scudzilla wrote: »
    For Slane? If you still have your ticket you put the barcode number in on livemetallica.com and ya get a professionally recorded mp3 of the whole gig, rather good it is too

Wow nice one.i hope i can find the bloody ticket.

EDIT. Got that.thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I also already have ghost tickets :(

Testament1 wrote: »
    Yeah got mine, did you reply back and confirm your address with them after they offered them?

I got mine.

And got rid of them also.... :cool:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Chlorine1

well

Well well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭klose

Chlorine1 wrote: »
    well

Still listen to me burned CD of the concert almost daily in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Capture.png

Ha ha. Very good. I think Hetfield looks like one of the guys from Hale & Pace - Gareth.

Does cineworld sell beer?

Wasn't really sure what to expect from the crowd for that. Was very subdued where I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Wasn't really sure what to expect from the crowd for that. Was very subdued where I was.

Same, I feel like I was the only way even nodding my head and tapping my feet!

Advertisement