Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

Its a great oportunity for Eoin Finnerty, Ian Burke and Dessie Conneely, they need games to see how they will fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It'll be great if they can take on the extra responsibility now. If they can chip in with scores from play it'll be super. Finnerty for full forward maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Great news, season may be back on track, time now to show there's depth in the panel and for lads to take their opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Good to see Comer's injury isn't season-ending. If I had the choice of one Galway player, I pick him - not as skillful as Walsh (or maybe even Kelly) but he has a great attitude and a nice bit of edge as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Strong team. Stronger bench.... hopefully should give a good account Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

Terrible performance from the hurlers today. Wheels came off after 20mins and it went downhill from there. The two late goals put a gloss on it.

Declan Dalton took Morrisey and Mannion to the cleaners. Joe Cooney looked very unfit. We're still aimlessly pumping ball forward into a forward line that isn't suited to winning contested high ball.

Some lads to come back but still playing the same style as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laymansterms

It was a strange game. If we had gone in at half time 5 points up, i don't think even the cork support would have complained. And then a complete collapse in the second half. It took us too long to figure out what to do after the red card.

Also, a special mention to the thousands of Galway supporters who left after Cork's 4th goal. I will be the first to defend supporters for not travelling the 9 hour round trip to Wexford, but walking out on the team like they did yesterday was pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'll never get this argument. They paid the cost of the ticket, sat through a woeful first 30 minutes of the second half and probably wanted to beat traffic. It's not something I'd do, just in the rare chance of a big comeback like 2014, but I'm also not heading towards Westside/Terryland/Claddagh at fulltime.

I saw a 2017 All Ireland winner leaving after the 4th Cork goal and I certainly wouldn't be calling him pathetic after what he'd given to us supporters over the years.

Yeah and I don't get the opposite argument. There will always be people who need to get away quickly after a match for whatever reason and that is what it is but yesterday it was thousands of supporters! The sides of the stand and the terrace virtually emptied. I don't buy the beat the traffic argument either. What is the benefit of being home 10 mins early?

My own view is that supporters should stay and applaud the teams efforts, especially on the bad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Green Peter

In fairness leaving 10 minutes early doesn't just get you home 10 minutes earlier, leaving on full time could leave u stuck in heavy traffic for an hour or so. I've seen many other county supporters do the same and as many of the hurling supporters cross the city maybe that was their main reason. It might also send a message to the team about their preformance and that they need to up their game which might not be a bad thing to motivate them.

• Advertisement

You're a very fortunate poster if you haven't had to be stuck in 2 hour traffic just getting from Salthill to Terryland. Leaving 10 minutes early might save an hour of traffic in the league for folks heading to Athenry and beyond. It could end up saving them nearly 2 hours in the championship matches. When a match is out of sight like yesterday I'd be nearly surprised as many of us stuck for injury time in the end.

As it happens, I go to Oranmore so I am well aware of what it is like to get from Salthill to the east of the city. Genuine Question: Do you think people would have left in the same numbers if we were winning?

Close enough to it I'd say. Against the likes of Westmeath last year on a sunny Saturday evening in the summer I'd say close to half the crowd was gone before injury time. When there's 10+ points between the sides on the 65th minute it's only natural to think of heading. If somebody pays their hard-earned few pound and they're not ruining anybody else's experience at the match let them do what they want imo. What annoys me is when we barely get 1500 supporters down to Thurles for a big match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A large crowd came to see Galway play hurling yesterday……….they got absolute rubbish.Shefflin has done absolutely nothing for Galway hurling

Shefflin is a one trick pony management wise. He's playing the exact same leather it up the pitch hurling he played all last year except the Limerick game. He seems to think if it worked for his KK teams it should work for everyone but we don't have TJ, Fenlon and other high ball monsters like they have. We have Evan Niland who's small, Flynn who can't win any ball, high or low and 3 other unproven forwards. Whealo can do it but he prefers it in front and he can't do it when its two on one.

I could see it being a short year in both codes. Limerick and Cork are looking good, Tipp are either good or KK are in a slump after Cody leaving and when we meet Dublin in Leinster we'll be going up against a much shrewder manager who knows us inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Merciful hour, did you see the hand-passing and link play that went on in the Wexford match? Very few balls leathered into the forwards from their own half by the Galway backs last week. HS is still in his infancy as manager and inherited a team in greater transition than many would realise. Judge him at the end of this season. In spite of all the turmoil last year, he was still closer to Limerick than anyone else at the business end of things.

I acknowledged they played differently in the Limerick game but its a bit late trying to take on Limerick in a short passing game when you haven't played that style all year. Wexford were poor and the standard was well below yesterday, most teams can pull off slick handpassing when the game is played at that pace and intensity. Cork took it up a few notches yesterday and we reverted to lumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Robson99

Relax lads it's only Feb yet. Both managers giving as many players as possible game time. If they weren't doing that there would be lads throwing tows out of the pram next June / July saying they should have this and that. League games mean nothing nowadays.... glorified challenge games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

finally a voice of reason and the galway hurling forum has taken a similar nosedive with lads losing the heads over the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Team for Sunday. Patrick Kelly returns, as does McGrath and Rob Finnerty to subs bench, Cian Hernon there also. Still light on forward power but just maybe Tuam will inspire an upturn in fortunes.

I know we're at the stage where wins are a must. But I'm getting concerned by the same midfield, pretty much same backs too. Changes seem to be injury forced.

If Conroy, McDaid, Sean Kelly, Daly, McHugh get injured we don't have anybody ready to step in. Kerry are blooding plenty of players. Doesn't matter yet if they're not looking like all star material, but they're getting experience.

We're looking at a short championship if the panel isn't used. Lads will start getting pissed off if they're breaking their arses training, dieting etc for absolutely no game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

You're not wrong but now we need to win. Or D2 next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I agree with above. Wins are crucial now after the first two games, particularly the Ros game. However I am a little worried about midfield. We need another option there.

Best of luck to the lads today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

Interesting tactic to allow Tyrone just burn off half our time playing with a gale, as they pass around under no pressure in their own half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

It seems Tyrone are so awful that letting them have the ball may actually have been a masterstroke.

Some mighty heart shown second half - feels like that could be huge for the season ahead.

Got fierce lucky with the Tyrone wides from lads like Canavan and McCurry. Otherwise a very strong final 25 minutes. Great to see youngsters like Glynn, Sweeney and especially Tierney really step up when scores were needed. We're missing a hell of lot without Comer, Walsh and a fully fit Rob Finnerty (great to see him come on late today though).

You'd have to think we need 2 more wins to be safe. 6 points won't be enough to stay up. It's gonna be a very close Division.

Septic first twenty mins today but brilliant from Galway in second half. They attacked quickly and ran at Tyrone. Great to see the lads mentioned above step up and score. They're the lads we need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Going to be very tight round the bottom this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Any idea when they are going to upgrade that stand in Tuam, it's embarrassing in this day and age.

Advertisement