Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do retired Taoseigh get to keep their seat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

guylikeme wrote: »
    It is common knowledge that a retired taoiseach does little to nothing while he passes the time, hence why he isnt in the news for anything whatsoever.

The point is far from nonsense. It is a waste of a seat that the coonstiruency has a zombie representing them.

Yep, it’s about protecting FG interests. Nothing else.

Oh and maybe his own overflowing pockets too.

Shhhh.

He'll hear you:eek:

Indy slaved for that teacher's pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Indy slaved for that teacher's pension.

Nah, he gave up the teacher's pension for the more lucrative goldmine available to T.Ds and Senators:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I presume whenever the next GE occurs, Enda isn't planning on running again and instead handing the Kenny family seat to his daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Enda doesn’t have a TD’s pension to my knowledge as he has a TD’s salary.

As for representing constituents that’s clearly one of the roles of representatives- the clue’s in the name. Holding government to account, law making and committees are other duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

odetooi wrote: »
    Enda has a teacher's pension, a TD pension and a pension from being Taoiseach.

The good life

As he was a TD since age 24, he didn't teach for long, so his teacher's pension will be very small.

Maybe 2 years service, so 2/80 of a teacher's salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Geuze wrote: »
    As he was a TD since age 24, he didn't teach for long, so his teacher's pension will be very small.

Maybe 2 years service, so 2/80 of a teacher's salary?

No, he paid a substitute to hold the job open, so that he could come back to it when he wanted. The substitute was paid at the first point of the incremental scale and Enda got the difference. All the time the substitute was there counts towards the pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No, he paid a substitute to hold the job open, so that he could come back to it when he wanted. The substitute was paid at the first point of the incremental scale and Enda got the difference. All the time the substitute was there counts towards the pension.

Wow. Did the substitute never get a pay rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wow. Did the substitute never get a pay rise?

I imagine it wasn't the same substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I presume whenever the next GE occurs, Enda isn't planning on running again and instead handing the Kenny family seat to his daughter?

He can’t hand the seat to whoever he likes.

There tends to be an election for these sort of things.

What the electorate do is another thing altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What the electorate do is another thing altogether.

History would suggest that they will elect his daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,215 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    History would suggest that they will elect his daughter.

and that is their prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The substitute was paid at the first point of the incremental scale and Enda got the difference. All the time the substitute was there counts towards the pension.

I think he (Kenny) had to make the weekly pension contributions for it to count towards his end result teacher pension. He doesn't just get the pension by having someone else do the job for 40 years.

This arrangement was introduced to encourage a more diverse pool of TDs rather than the offspring of wealthy families or existing dynasties.

Its success is debatable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/latest-news/teachertds-in-line-for-double-pension-bonanza-26707154.html

He gave up his teachers pension in 2011

Will have to survive on €126,000 a year pension from the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

OP has disappeared:

In fairness to the OP, he probably has a valid point (if I understand him correctly) about the dual mandate of the Taoiseach and other members of the Government, which should not be combined with constituency representation.

I would prefer a system like the one that operates in the French National Assembly, whereby deputies must resign their seats if they wish to be members of the Government, and are replaced by a substitute.

There's no good reason why members of Government should continue to represent constituencies, when they are supposed to be acting in the national interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think he (Kenny) had to make the weekly pension contributions for it to count towards his end result teacher pension. He doesn't just get the pension by having someone else do the job for 40 years.

This arrangement was introduced to encourage a more diverse pool of TDs rather than the offspring of wealthy families or existing dynasties.

Its success is debatable...

So let me be clear, if a teacher is elected a TD after five years teaching, and is a TD for the next 35 years, then:
    • they could keep the teaching post open for 35 years
    • they get an element of the teachers wage for 35 years [wage less cost of sub]
    • they pay the normal teachers pension cont
    • they earn the TD wage and pay the TD pension cont

And at retirement, they can get a full teachers pension, based on 40 years conts [approx 30k] and a TD pension based on 35 yrs service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Geuze wrote: »

So let me be clear, if a teacher is elected a TD after five years teaching, and is a TD for the next 35 years, then:
    • they could keep the teaching post open for 35 years
    • they get an element of the teachers wage for 35 years [wage less cost of sub]
    • they pay the normal teachers pension cont
    • they earn the TD wage and pay the TD pension cont

And at retirement, they can get a full teachers pension, based on 40 years conts [approx 30k] and a TD pension based on 35 yrs service?

Not quite. The rules have been changed since Enda was first elected to the Dail (back in the mid-1940's!).

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-teachertds-holding-on-to-their-school-jobs-26804575.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Hes an elected TD simple as.

He could retire if he wanted to but im sure Leo will call a Snap Election soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'm looking at you Enda Kenny. Bertie aswell. They dissapear out of public view despite still being in a job and contribute NOTHING in their last years on a job that pays a good few pennies.

Why is this crap allowed?

What seat to they get to keep?

Their seat on the LUAS. They're not obliged to get up to facilitate pregnant women / the elderly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'm looking at you Enda Kenny. Bertie aswell. They dissapear out of public view despite still being in a job and contribute NOTHING in their last years on a job that pays a good few pennies.

Why is this crap allowed?

What seat to they get to keep?

Their seat on the LUAS. They're not obliged to get up to facilitate pregnant women / the elderly.

Advertisement