Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do retired Taoseigh get to keep their seat

Options
  • 18-09-2018 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at you Enda Kenny. Bertie aswell. They dissapear out of public view despite still being in a job and contribute NOTHING in their last years on a job that pays a good few pennies.

Why is this crap allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I'm looking at you Enda Kenny. Bertie aswell. They dissapear out of public view despite still being in a job and contribute NOTHING in their last years on a job that pays a good few pennies.

What seat to they get to keep?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bertie has not been a td since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What seat to they get to keep?

I think his issue is that Enda is still a TD

Riskymove wrote: »

He was a TD before he was taoiseach as well. He resigned the leadership of the party, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Do you even understand how our system of government works?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He was elected as a TD. That's his seat given to him by the people.

Riskymove wrote: »

He was elected by his constituency as a TD, same as 3 others in Mayo. None of the other three became Taoiseach. Should any TD who was not elected Taoiseach have to resign his seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

No point giving up the seat and causing a by-election.

With numbers so tight FG could not risk losing the seat to the opposition and then causing a full general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP , you there ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

The op has a point though in terms of the period from when they step down as taoiseach up until next election. They completely disappear and act as a retired person when they are needed to represent their constituents.
    Enda Kenny fielding questions such as what will you do with yourself etc when he should still be a very busy td

• Advertisement

rovertom wrote: »
    The op has a point though in terms of the period from when they step down as taoiseach up until next election. They completely disappear and act as a retired person when they are needed to represent their constituents.
    Enda Kenny fielding questions such as what will you do with yourself etc when he should still be a very busy td

The TD is not elected to represent his constituents. The TD is supposed to be a legislator. It shows how bad things have got that people don't know what the function of the TD is, including TDs themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The reason for that is to not undermine the current Taoiseach. Obviously he would still be involved in helping constituents but any profile at a national level would have people questioning whether he really no longer leads the party.

The TD is not elected to represent his constituents. The TD is supposed to be a legislator. It shows how bad things have got that people don't know what the function of the TD is, including TDs themselves.

I think you will find they are elected nowadays based on how well they represent their constituents. They are certainly not voted for based on their ability as legislators.

I think you will find they are elected nowadays based on how well they represent their constituents. They are certainly not voted for based on their ability as legislators.

which is why we end with TDs like the healy rays

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

They reamin a TD, unless they give up that position as well. All Enda did was give up his position as Party Leader, and Head of Government.

And btw, if you are going to be a AngryMan, try learning a bit about the Government, or at least get the name right, its Taoiseach!

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    They reamin a TD, unless they give up that position as well. All Enda did was give up his position as Party Leader, and Head of Government.

And btw, if you are going to be a AngryMan, try learning a bit about the Government, or at least get the name right, its Taoiseach!

the plural of taoiseach is taoisigh so they were close.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the plural of taoiseach is taoisigh so they were close.

I stand corrected, other point still stands though.

The reason why people vote for them does not change what the job entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Do you even understand how our system of government works?

He obviously hasn't a clue other than the usual rant against all things FG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Enda has a teacher's pension, a TD pension and a pension from being Taoiseach.

The good life

• Advertisement

odetooi wrote: »

The good life

Yes, but is he happy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Yes, but is he happy?

A busy idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Odelay

The good life

You should try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

blanch152 wrote: »
    He obviously hasn't a clue other than the usual rant against all things FG.

Really? Didn't realise Bertie was a blueshirt...

Really? Didn't realise Bertie was a blueshirt...

do you understand now why your OP was nonsense?

The reason why people vote for them does not change what the job entails.

Well I'd be of the opinion that the job is 90 percent constituency work and the remainder split between committee work and Dail debate/ votes re legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

do you understand now why your OP was nonsense?

It is common knowledge that a retired taoiseach does little to nothing while he passes the time, hence why he isnt in the news for anything whatsoever.

The point is far from nonsense. It is a waste of a seat that the coonstiruency has a zombie representing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Got to love these threads. Someone starts then barely contributes anything and just sits back and watches everyone argue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'm not too bothered by whatever Enda Kenny gets up to (Or Bertie in his time after stepping down).

Look at the system of government we have. Most elected TDs are members of a party. They agree to follow the dictats of that party, whether or not they agree with every policy. The average TD is little more than an extra vote for the party position. The party whip exists to enforce that situation.

Is Enda Kenny achieving any less than the other TDs from his constituency? Never mind Mayo, I can tell you that of the current TDs elected in my own constituency, I have only heard one of them mentioned by name in the national media for doing or saying anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The good life

Shhhh.

He'll hear you:eek:

Advertisement