Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time fillers on RTE in the 80's

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

There was another one that was constantly shown that I think might have been Halas & Batchelor. It was on the theme of opera and there was a bit where a waiter was holding up a platter with a pigs head which starts singing an opera duet with him before the waiter and pig swap heads. Can't remember what it was called.

Crow an the animation was done to this opera song “ La Donna e mobile” from Rigoletto.It was one of my favorite fillers. Remember the tenor with the pigs head on the platter and the thin lady ! Would give anything to see it again!
    If anybody finds it would love a link to it!

This is the tune here performed by Pavarotti!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone remember this? It was a bit long to be used as filler between programmes but I remember RTE showing it.

It was renamed Jeremy on RTE. (And according to here Barnaby on the BBC, but I don't remember that.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

There was a cartoon filler about an Englishman who becomes an astronaut, and gets a knighthood from the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone remember this? It was a bit long to be used as filler between programmes but I remember RTE showing it.

YES!

Plus the Canadian equivalent Jeremy The Bear

EDIT: Hotblack - just saw your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Lolek and Bolek.

Maybe they were 70s dudes though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

As I remember the end of the cartoon version of Animal Farm had a happy ending where the animals overthrew the pigs and lived happily ever after.

Which of course completely destroyed the whole point of the book.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

YES!

Plus the Canadian equivalent Jeremy The Bear

EDIT: Hotblack - just saw your post.

Wow - that brings back some really lovely and very early childhood memories - Jeremy The Bear! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

cml387 wrote: »
    As I remember the end of the cartoon version of Animal Farm had a happy ending where the animals overthrew the pigs and lived happily ever after.

Which of course completely destroyed the whole point of the book.
    Changes to the plot were done at the insistence of the CIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Not a time filler, as it's over an hour long, but the Halas and Batchelor version of Animal Farm from the early 1950s used to be regularly aired by RTE in the 1980s.

Interestingly the film was funded by the CIA as an anti-Stalin/anti-Communist propaganda piece.

In the book, I thought Napoleon was supposed to be Stalin and Snowball was Trotsky.
    It’s obviously a nod to the Russian revolution but applies to all totalitarian regimes.

Anyone remember the Children's Film Foundation films RTE used to show in the 80s.

There was one set in Ireland, called something like "The Johnstown Monster".

Here's a clip from one called "The Boy Who Turned Yellow".

I'd no clue what it was about back then, even less now.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The CFF films were pretty good. The BFI have released a number of volumes on DVD which are worth buying.

My favourite is Terry On The Fence, from 1985 - which RTE aired at least twice.
    It was one of the last ones the CFF made.
    Seriously gritty and an undercurrent of bleak menace. The location filming really helps - London's decaying dockland areas around Shad Thames, Southwark and Greenwhich - all redeveloped now so it's great to see what they were like before regeneration. The BBC series, The Chinese Detective also was shot in the same area and is a wonderful snapshot of a long-gone part of the city.

The kids' films then had more intricate plots than "adults'" films do today.

Endless superhero crap. Who the hell watches them? It's like everything is aimed at adolescent males.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

I seem to remember them using something with ELP's version of Fanfare for the Common Man as a filler. Not this actual video but featuring the music. It was possibly a video of skiing.

The CFF films were pretty good. The BFI have released a number of volumes on DVD which are worth buying.

My favourite is Terry On The Fence, from 1985 - which RTE aired at least twice.
    It was one of the last ones the CFF made.
    Seriously gritty and an undercurrent of bleak menace. The location filming really helps - London's decaying dockland areas around Shad Thames, Southwark and Greenwhich - all redeveloped now so it's great to see what they were like before regeneration. The BBC series, The Chinese Detective also was shot in the same area and is a wonderful snapshot of a long-gone part of the city.

I remember that, he was forced by this gang of older rough boys to break into his school and steal radios. Don't know what a primary school was doing with a load of radios.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The video the OP was talking about in the first post.

That is mental. I’ve been listening to Kraftwerk for years, is it because I saw this when I was a kid. Mental.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Sundew wrote: »
    :p

I used to love this and have been trying to find it online with no success. It was an animation to a famous opera song. I was thinking it might be “ the drinking song” but I’m not 100% sure on that. There was the tenor with the pigs head on a platter , a fat soprano and a thin one, as she hit the high note I think she grew taller and I’m pretty sure I recall glass shattering! I loved this filler.....often on before the news!

Ha, remembering other bits of this now. The fat woman had a little man under her skirt who was pumping a bellows or something to keep her singing. The very end had this young kid who had a mop top Beatles haircut (firmly dating the cartoon) and he was belting out a screeching tuneless song. All the other opera singing characters who had featured in it beforehand were showing reacting in horror. I think the thin woman with the long neck withdrew her head like a tortise to escape the noise.

The late 70's and early 80's were the golden age of safety adverts on RTE. Where's Grandad? John Did Ya Put The Cat Out? Bonzo Wants To Go Out Dear and many more that terrified and amused in equal measure. I've included the 90's as there were still a few decent ones knocking about then like the TV license ones with "Dave" being scolded by his telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged. One thread is enough to cover all this.

Not sure if RTE used to show this but I came across it recently on YT and I remember it from somewhere.

Not sure if RTE used to show this but I came across it recently on YT and I remember it from somewhere.

I remember it being shown on RTE on a Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Anyone remember the Children's Film Foundation films RTE used to show in the 80s.

removed

There was one set in Ireland, called something like "The Johnstown Monster".

Here's a clip from one called "The Boy Who Turned Yellow".

removed

I'd no clue what it was about back then, even less now.:confused:

I loved these back in the 80's but I can only remember the name of one and it was probably crap - Sammy's Super T-Shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The late 70's and early 80's were the golden age of safety adverts on RTE. Where's Grandad? John Did Ya Put The Cat Out? Bonzo Wants To Go Out Dear and many more that terrified and amused in equal measure. I've included the 90's as there were still a few decent ones knocking about then like the TV license ones with "Dave" being scolded by his telly.

What about the one for the German measles I think it was,where the nun was roaring Bah repeatedly into the child’s ear to see were they deaf (presumably after a bout of the German measles)....feckin hilarious and so far removed from what you’d see today!

jojofizzio wrote: »
    What about the one for the German measles I think it was,where the nun was roaring Bah repeatedly into the child’s ear to see were they deaf (presumably after a bout of the German measles)....feckin hilarious and so far removed from what you’d see today!

And Big John "Oh me achin back!".

Does anyone remember this bizarre cartoon set in space that use to be shown on RTE in the early 80's? I could have sworn that it was also shown in Irish.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/

Another episode, it was also shown on BBC mid to late 80's.

Surprised that the BBC showed that. It was rubbish!

Does anyone remember this bizarre cartoon set in space that use to be shown on RTE in the early 80's? I could have sworn that it was also shown in Irish.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1016/652830-robots-come-to-life/
    I think it may have been a Bosco segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Can't remember the last time I've seen either a loony tunes or Tom and Jerry cartoon on the telly.

I was watching foghorn leghorn in the nude last night.

Whopper it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Roanmore wrote: »
    Professor Plinkity Plonk (?) on Sunday evenings.

Guy would come out and play a piano (cartoon of course) which was a prelude to some adventure he imagined.

https://twitter.com/RTEArchives/status/1315577049499791360

• Advertisement
Advertisement