Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give incentives such as tax cuts to people with no children

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Anyway with at least a 60% drop in male sperm count in the last 40 years the population thing is under control. Be grand :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/sperm-count-west-men-health-drop-60-per-cent-years-modern-life-a7859491.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Believe it or not, the result of a reduction in child birth rates will have dire consequences on the population in decades to come (Mother Earth may be happier though :)) Apart from the obvious, one area I feel people are overlooking when it comes to deciding not to have children is how they'll feel when they're older. I am certain this will be a source of great sadness for couples/ individuals further down the line. A real sadness unlike your typical millennial depression. I think this will be a massive issue for a lot of people in years to come. Having said that, I think two children is enough, sufficiently replacing both you & your partner. This is a sustainable approach too but that's a conversation for another thread...
    As for taxing children out of existence, Governments would literally be shooting themselves in the foot. They rely on future generations to line their coffers. This is the big problem we 're seeing in Europe at the moment. The birth rate is declining but our current financial model demands continuous expansion and infinite growth (in a world of finite resources mind!). This is why those who sport the notion that the recent wave of immigrants from third world countries may be part of a replacement program for Europeans who aren't reproducing may be on to something... 

There's a few points there, take some time...

I'll leave your casual dismissal of depression aside for now but would that not indicate that the neo liberal system is failing us yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

rtron wrote: »
    China have done it right with a one child policy to help keep the population down

They got it so right that the one child policy was replaced years ago with a 2 child policy and they are now expected to announce a 3 child policy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

wexie wrote: »
    They got it so right that the one child policy was replaced years ago with a 2 child policy and they are now expected to announce a 3 child policy.....

Definitely prooves the system works. I must check what unemployment levels are like out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rtron wrote:
    Definitely prooves the system works. I must check what unemployment levels are like out there.

We may need to define 'works', as I suspect china has some serious environmental issues, and employment levels wouldn't exactly show how good or bad those issues are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cabaal wrote: »
    You don't have to go back that far to see avg short life spans.

Avg life spans really onlt started to increase from 1800's
    For example a Swedish baby born in 1800 had a life expectancy of just 32 years. We know this because Sweden was one of the first countries to keep extensive records of births and deaths and, by 1800, had a reliable national system that allowed this morbid statistic to be calculated.
    People weren't popping their clogs en masse at 32, or anything like it. The pertinent bit is a baby born in 1800. Child mortality was scarily high until the modern age(even increased with industrialisation and the mass move to cities). Fewer children made it to adulthood. However if they made it to adulthood making it to 60 or 70 wasn't unusual and among the better off 80 wasn't too unusual either. People's expectation was the old biblical three score and ten years.

In the last hundred years child mortality has been steadily dropping in the west and in the last fifty has fallen off a cliff. The vast majority now make it to adulthood. And those that do benefit from medical advances that add on average another ten years at the end of their lives. We now have an expectation of hitting four score years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Wrong. The population will maintain.

actually no...cos some people die in childhood before sexual maturity and also some people will die before having one or two kids.

Also - the gays......

so no.. it needs to be 2.3 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

wexie wrote: »
    Last time I was in Amsterdam the canals were so full of corpses we couldn't use the paddle boats :(

Makes it feel like you're riding the rapids, I'm a big fan of Amsterdam's corpse canals. Red Bull should have a race there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If I had been born a generation back it would have been expected that I would have had a family and a house by now.
    But today it seems to be the norm to be single and still living at home or house sharing and in rather transient employment, not exactly conducive to starting a family.

If anything the government should be encouraging the opposite as it seems those dependent on welfare are out breeding the tax paying classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

grindle wrote: »
    Makes it feel like you're riding the rapids, I'm a big fan of Amsterdam's corpse canals. Red Bull should have a race there.

Co-sponsored by Pfizer (or whoever makes tetanus shots)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

This is not something I've put any thought into,

No sh1t, Sherlock. There's no way we'd have realised that had you not 'fessed up.

No sh1t, Sherlock. There's no way we'd have realised that had you not 'fessed up.

Did I offend you or something? How about not be a total arse. This is After Hours, not a lecture hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

This is After Hours, not a lecture hall.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

We need to import them if needed to fill the new ghettos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

we need the next generation to pay our pensions

As for taxing children out of existence, Governments would literally be shooting themselves in the foot. They rely on future generations to line their coffers.

Not really. We can save for our pensions. The current system of state sourced payments for PRSI and public servants being always a generation down the line can be changed. Many countries have already.

Anyone truly caring about the environment would not have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

listermint wrote: »
    The western world has a massive crisis with birth rates .

The op's premise is actually poorly researched bunkum

Westerners use far more resources than other groups so the lower the birth rate here the better, environmentally wise that is. Of course there will be big social repercussions from such low birth rates that will lead to decreased quality of life for europeans so for that reason it might not be a good idea to further encourage lower birth rates here

Advertisement