Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give incentives such as tax cuts to people with no children

Options
  • 16-09-2018 5:23am

This is not something I've put any thought into, but having just watched a video on global warming, I reckon everything we do will be fruitless with global populations rising.

So why not incentivise people to just not have kids. People benefit already from marriage, so why not something that would actually help the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

15737g.jpg?a426792

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

So why not incentivise people to just not have kids. People benefit already from marriage, so why not something that would actually help the world.
    Believe it or not, the result of a reduction in child birth rates will have dire consequences on the population in decades to come (Mother Earth may be happier though :)) Apart from the obvious, one area I feel people are overlooking when it comes to deciding not to have children is how they'll feel when they're older. I am certain this will be a source of great sadness for couples/ individuals further down the line. A real sadness unlike your typical millennial depression. I think this will be a massive issue for a lot of people in years to come. Having said that, I think two children is enough, sufficiently replacing both you & your partner. This is a sustainable approach too but that's a conversation for another thread...
    As for taxing children out of existence, Governments would literally be shooting themselves in the foot. They rely on future generations to line their coffers. This is the big problem we 're seeing in Europe at the moment. The birth rate is declining but our current financial model demands continuous expansion and infinite growth (in a world of finite resources mind!). This is why those who sport the notion that the recent wave of immigrants from third world countries may be part of a replacement program for Europeans who aren't reproducing may be on to something... 

There's a few points there, take some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ha ha, it’s all about money, OP. Fcuk the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

we need the next generation to pay our pensions and change our adult nappies.

the real answer is to stop increasing life expectancy but that's a much more difficult conversation to have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

we need the next generation to pay our pensions and change our adult nappies.

the real answer is to stop increasing life expectancy but that's a much more difficult conversation to have.

Allowing those who are terminally ill to end it on their terms if they so wishes would be a start, i know I'd rather end it on my terms if I was terminally ill

Simon's Choice comes to mind https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070jm26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP have a look at the current situation in China after the "one child "policy,, and the "dying rooms"

Uhm... giving tax cuts to the people who are in least need of them? Yes, that will end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cabaal wrote: »
    Allowing those who are terminally ill to end it on their terms if they so wishes would be a start, i know I'd rather end it on my terms if I was terminally ill

Simon's Choice comes to mind https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070jm26

went sideways in Holland.

I have to laugh at those who promote a Paleo diet.

How about doing the planet a favour and promote a paleo life expectancy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have to laugh at those who promote a Paleo diet.

How about doing the planet a favour and promote a paleo life expectancy?

You don't have to go back that far to see avg short life spans.

Avg life spans really onlt started to increase from 1800's
    For example a Swedish baby born in 1800 had a life expectancy of just 32 years. We know this because Sweden was one of the first countries to keep extensive records of births and deaths and, by 1800, had a reliable national system that allowed this morbid statistic to be calculated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The western world has a massive crisis with birth rates .

The op's premise is actually poorly researched bunkum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's Asia that needs more contraception

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Cabaal wrote: »
    You don't have to go back that far to see avg short life spans.

Avg life spans really onlt started to increase from 1800's
    For example a Swedish baby born in 1800 had a life expectancy of just 32 years. We know this because Sweden was one of the first countries to keep extensive records of births and deaths and, by 1800, had a reliable national system that allowed this morbid statistic to be calculated.
    Evil Swedish bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nope, cos this cr@p :

Having said that, I think two children is enough, sufficiently replacing both you & your partner.

If everyone has two, the population will decline

Ah yea can't be sayin dat. sure the west is the source of all the world's problems.

gctest50 wrote: »

Nope, cos this cr@p :

Having said that, I think two children is enough, sufficiently replacing both you & your partner.  

If everyone has two, the population will decline

Wrong. The population will maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭queueeye

Believe it or not, the result of a reduction in child birth rates will have dire consequences on the population in decades to come (Mother Earth may be happier though :)) Apart from the obvious, one area I feel people are overlooking when it comes to deciding not to have children is how they'll feel when they're older. I am certain this will be a source of great sadness for couples/ individuals further down the line. A real sadness unlike your typical millennial depression. I think this will be a massive issue for a lot of people in years to come. Having said that, I think two children is enough, sufficiently replacing both you & your partner. This is a sustainable approach too but that's a conversation for another thread...
    As for taxing children out of existence, Governments would literally be shooting themselves in the foot. They rely on future generations to line their coffers. This is the big problem we 're seeing in Europe at the moment. The birth rate is declining but our current financial model demands continuous expansion and infinite growth (in a world of finite resources mind!). This is why those who sport the notion that the recent wave of immigrants from third world countries may be part of a replacement program for Europeans who aren't reproducing may be on to something... 

All I’m taking from that is that governments can’t literally shoot themselves in the foot.

Literally!

queueeye wrote: »

All I’m taking from that is that governments can’t literally shoot themselves in the foot.

Literally!
    You're up early. Go back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wrong, it will decrease. There are always people that can't have children or die before they have any. In order to compensate for that those that do have kids need to have more than 2. Current replacement rate is something like 2.3

wexie wrote: »

Wrong, it will decrease. There are always people that can't have children or  die before they have any. In order to compensate for that those that do have kids need to have more than 2. Current replacement rate is something like 2.3
    2 is better than none, as the OP suggests.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    The western world has a massive crisis with birth rates .

The op's premise is actually poorly researched bunkum

It's not poorly researched... I literally said I put no thought into it, so I didn't even get to the research part.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

While I think the original premise is daft how about reducing children's allowance per kid after 3 or 4 kids. If you have that many you should be able to afford them rather than relying on the state.

2 is better than none, as the OP suggests.

That is very true, like he said though he didn't give it a lot of thought.

Someone mentioned earlier that the it would be better to look at the other end of the lifespan which would be a much more useful solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Actually it's not. They have a crisis.

Do people even bother reading anymore.

Jaypers .... Shakes head.

Graces7 wrote: »
    went sideways in Holland.

yeah people in holland are bumping off pensioners left right and center. Last time I was in Amsterdam the canals were so full of corpses we couldn't use the paddle boats :(

:rolleyes:

apparently expectations are China is going to introduce new policies to encourage people to have more children

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-45124502

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We all need more contraception. Can never have enough contraception

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

As mentioned, previous examples of incentivised population control - such as China's one child policy - have had unintended consequences. Largely (not entirely, sometimes its female infanticide) because so many female foetuses have been aborted over the past 20 to 30 years, at present China and India have 70 million more men than women. That's a lot of missing women. (There is a notable irony inherent in the female rights issue of abortion having resulted in sex selective abortions contributing to disturbing the demographics so radically). That's a lot of men who will never have sex unless with the bride they kidnap from a neighbouring country or a sex doll. Ahhh, humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

China have done it right with a one child policy to help keep the population down.Ireland do not need a tax incentive to have less kids as everything else is taxed heavily so that it's not economical to have a large family.

Also did you know, over 50% of single parent families do not work, so it would be too late for them to get the tax incentive even if they started working.

But at least if we keep taking in refugees we'll keep the population up.
    I wonder how many non working one parent families we will have in 10 years time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe if we consumed less, we might just save our planet, I do realise this is a mad idea but shur....

Advertisement