Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Estate - Delays with Broadband Hookup - Any advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

DJB wrote: »
    Been away for a couple of weeks and picking this up again. Checking the airwire site and this looks promising...
    What does the eir checker say?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Did you make contact with the Department or anyone else that would have expedited the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

It's says "Great News! Fibre to the Home is available at .... "

I was away and was going to pick this up tomorrow before I go back to work next week.

It's says "Great News! Fibre to the Home is available at .... "

I was away and was going to pick this up tomorrow before I go back to work next week.

Looks like you're good to go! Saves you a lot of banging your head against brick walls.

Looks like you're good to go! Saves you a lot of banging your head against brick walls.

I saw 2 KN networks guys outside today connecting houses across the road. Got talking to the guys and they said the forecast dates were probably based on FTTC and copper lines that won’t be installed. I just rang Eir and changed order to FTTH and hopefully in next week.

It makes sense why they were saying that cabling work was still needed (i.e. for FTTC) and that’s why order wouldn’t go through. With FTTH going live in last couple of weeks, that makes sense now.

Hopefully will all sorted by Halloween and I can watch something scary on Netflix. Thanks for all the help and advice.

I saw 2 KN networks guys outside today connecting houses across the road. Got talking to the guys and they said the forecast dates were probably based on FTTC and copper lines that won’t be installed. I just rang Eir and changed order to FTTH and hopefully in next week.

It makes sense why they were saying that cabling work was still needed (i.e. for FTTC) and that’s why order wouldn’t go through. With FTTH going live in last couple of weeks, that makes sense now.

Hopefully will all sorted by Halloween and I can watch something scary on Netflix. Thanks for all the help and advice.

No problem! Glad to be of some help.

• Advertisement

Final update. Eir FTTH installed today. Only got the 150Mbps line but capable of upgrade to 1Gbps line. LOL... only!

Advice for anyone else in a new estate... they didn't install copper lines in our new estate, no point ordering a line until FTTH is actually available on the Eir website checker or Airwire one. If I'd known this, I probably could have asked Eir, KN, etc. for a realistic live date for FTTH, not FTTC which was what I (and neighbours) were ordering and chasing up on. FTTC won't be available here so it's pointless going that road. If I had known I would have a 10+ month wait in the first place, I would of grabbed Three unlimited 4G for 18 months for 30 a month. It would have been cheapest option for unlimited Internet while waiting for FTTH.

I hope that helps someone else.

Thanks again for all the help Navi.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

They don't install copper lines in any new estates.
    The broadband infrastructure never shows up before the houses. Any developer that advertises a house as broadband ready is playing around with words. He might be inferring to the fact that he's ran cat5 cable because there's nothing in the ground for a couple of months at least. Credit to virgin they nearly have all their stuff in the ground when the place is still a building site.
    You'd be surprised how orders can keep coming out for copper based broadband in new estates that won't be served with copper. Comes out as give broadband from this cab.
    There's only fibre in the ground.
    That gets written up that only ftth is possible
    Then the provider seems to get confused and says fttc won't work eh what about ADSL from exchange. Again won't work no copper. Then out of ideas and options they say ok were gonna cancel that order and start you off on a new order and order broadband from the cab all over again.

Advertisement