Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Estate - Delays with Broadband Hookup - Any advice please

Options
  • 15-09-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I moved into a new estate 9 months ago. It was supposed to be ready for broadband and phone services. All neighbours and I tried placing orders with the providers but kept getting pushed back that estate wasn't hooked up and given a forecast date a few months out.

Roll on to July and I happened to see a KN networks guy at the estate and asked him when it was going to be hooked up. He said he was doing it that day and I could place my order a few days later when he sent back the paperwork. I checked my eircode on the different sites and they all showed fibre available so placed order with Eir. After a few days, they came out and said the estate wasn't hooked up. I tried Sky, same thing. Few days later, they said someone came out to do it but it still needed cabling.

A couple of weeks later, I saw more KN networks guys around running cables to new houses being released in the next phase, straight across the road. A questioned them about the whole thing and they showed me the shores (for lack of proper word) outside my house and it has fibre boxes in it and they're live but there's no cable running from this box to the houses.

There's rope running from here to the houses through little tunnels but no cable. Those guys told me that a cable just needs to be run from there to the house, probably takes 5 minutes but an order has to come through openeir to do it I think they said.

So, I went back to eir, they say they have to talk to the wholesale team and won't put me in touch with them. They just gave another forecast date another couple of months out. I got onto comreg to ask what to do and they said to submit an official complaint and say that comreg said I should. I asked specific questions about the delay, why, what's causing it, who is responsible, etc. Eir are supposed to have 10 working days to reply. That was 15 working days ago without a response.

This is extremely frustrating when I know it's only a small step to finish this off but can't understand why it won't be finished or who is responsible. There's 60 houses with people living in them now with another 10-20 soon to move in, before they do the next batch. Nobody has fibre.

I've also tried to get onto KN networks and openeir but you just get the run around and buck passed. The developer is no use but I do have a brochure from them saying that the "house is ready for broadband", which is false advertising when it's far from it.

Can anyone help with this or suggest me where to go next. I'm trying to work out who is actually responsible for this bit of work and what the hold up is.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Enter your Eircode here and post the result

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Screen_Shot_2018_09_15_at_23_08_24.png

When the guy showed you the "shores" was it something like the images in this post?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108056619&postcount=3299

Yep. I think there were lights on and same position too.

DJB wrote: »
    Yep. I think there were lights on and same position too.

It sounds like your estate is cabled for FTTH but the guy lied to you. It is not live. If it were your Eircode would pass on the Airwire check for FTTH. Do you know what exchange area you are in?

• Advertisement

Here's the estate in the fibre rollout map:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_15_at_23_25_36.png

We're all in the cut out square from the circle.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

I agree that it's not live yet but I do think it's hooked up. It feels like there's a step missing and I don't know who it is that's responsible. Who do I go to next. Someone mentioned to me about a council planning thing could hold it up. This just makes no sense. When everyone keeps passing the buck and the providers hiding behind front line support, it's hard to get a straight answer or know what to do.

Virgin Media have lines down too and can't get through to anyone there either.

I'm surprised nobody wants this business - there's 60+ houses ready to place orders for whoever moves first.

Here's the estate in the fibre rollout map:

Screen_Shot_2018_09_15_at_23_25_36.png

We're all in the cut out square from the circle.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean?

I agree that it's not live yet but I do think it's hooked up. It feels like there's a step missing and I don't know who it is that's responsible. Who do I go to next. Someone mentioned to me about a council planning thing could hold it up. This just makes no sense. When everyone keeps passing the buck and the providers hiding behind front line support, it's hard to get a straight answer or know what to do.

Virgin Media have lines down too and can't get through to anyone there either.

I'm surprised nobody wants this business - there's 60+ houses ready to place orders for whoever moves first.

Wow that is odd.

I can give you a brief explanation of the process but I can not tell you why you can't get service.

Open eir build the network. KN are contractors working for them. When an area is ready open eir release the list of Eircodes that can order to it's retail ISP partners. That is what you were checking with Airwire.

Basically until your Eircode is on that list you cannot order from anyone. It is only on ordering that the final connection is made from the box to the home.

If I were to guess there may be some civil issue (like a road opening etc) holding the process up but that is only speculation. Only open eir can tell you for sure and they are very reluctant to talk to the public.

There are some people involved with ISPs posting here. Hopefully they may be able to give you more information.

If I search my eircode on sky, eir or vodafone, they all show the address as live. I tried placing order with all 3 and they all took the orders but reported cabling issue and gave different forecast dates. So I think the Eircode is on some list, how would I have been able to place the order otherwise. Not sure why it's not on Airwire's one but I just checked Eir's site again and it says I can get 100mb fibre.

Interesting you say road opening could be cause. There is a temporary entrance to the estate and we're waiting for the true entrance to the estate to be opened. They've been working on it and releasing houses. They kept pushing the date of opening that road out back. Could that be the cause?

Any info on the process helps narrow the responsibility down to someone and I can at try follow up with them.

Thanks for the advice so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I just checked Eir's site again and it says I can get 100mb fibre.

That implies they were saying you can get FTTC and not FTTH.
    FTTC uses the copper line from the cabinet to the house to deliver broadband at up to 100Mb/s, the speed is dependant on distance from the cabinet.

If I search my eircode on sky, eir or vodafone, they all show the address as live. I tried placing order with all 3 and they all took the orders but reported cabling issue and gave different forecast dates. So I think the Eircode is on some list, how would I have been able to place the order otherwise. Not sure why it's not on Airwire's one but I just checked Eir's site again and it says I can get 100mb fibre.

Interesting you say road opening could be cause. There is a temporary entrance to the estate and we're waiting for the true entrance to the estate to be opened. They've been working on it and releasing houses. They kept pushing the date of opening that road out back. Could that be the cause?

Any info on the process helps narrow the responsibility down to someone and I can at try follow up with them.

Thanks for the advice so far.

OK we're at cross purposes here.

I had been assuming FTTH a fibre cable directly into your home. The images I asked you about earlier are of FTTH infrastructure.

You are talking about 100Mb "fibre". This is fibre to a green cabinet at or near the entrance to your estate and from there copper cabling to your home. Referred to here as FTTC.

According to the fibrerollout image you posted you can get neither but that map is very out of date and should not be relied upon.

The Airwire checker also says you don't have any service available to you so how Sky or Eir can say you have I don't know.

I don't know how or even if your estate is cabled (copper or fibre). As far as I know most new estates are fully FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

feel your pain OP, siro is working in my area, and its total slow grind they show up dig some holes put cables trough move on, month later another company digs few holes moves few cables round and then nothing, seems a lot of work is being contracted from one company to another. Dunno why any ISP is using even fiber word at all, as fiber for me is 1GBs not meesly 100MBs, from what ive been told these works take 3-6 months at the rate most of them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OP new built estate - has the developer transferred the land to the LA or is it still in their control? It sounds like the latter.

If so him being useless with you is probably also true for OpenEir Works management. Normally they apply to the councils and while slow is a well trodden path. If they have to get agreement on everything from the dev who doesn't give a hoot as he's been paid then things grind to a halt.

KNN shouldnt talk to you unless regarding specific appointments.
    OpenEir shouldn't talk to you at all unless a fault arises later.
    Everything should be going through the ISP taking the order, in this case Eir Retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

I am in a similar situation, there is one last phase of the estate to be built and as far as I know the land has not been handed over to the Council. So would this be the reason no FFTH cables in the estate? It was confirmed Fibre goes as far as the cabinet but KN told me no cable in the estate.

Am I playing the waiting game? Like OP who can I can actually contact to see when our estate will be complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ipodrocker wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation, there is one last phase of the estate to be built and as far as I know the land has not been handed over to the Council. So would this be the reason no FFTH cables in the estate? It was confirmed Fibre goes as far as the cabinet but KN told me no cable in the estate.

Am I playing the waiting game? Like OP who can I can actually contact to see when our estate will be complete?

could be a pickle if they are still finishing estate, ive gotten email from siro today and they been working in established estate now for few months and cable rolling all over places, but checking on eir code no info thou most part of town are connected, so its really whoever is behind that decide at what pace they work.As for contact you could try vodafone or digiweb etc who have contracts with siro and get onto live chat and see what the response, prob wont get much info but thinks thats the most you can get, same as you spoke with workers who do installation of cables in my area and there was no set date, once one crew finishes next come in, then engineers etc, so takes good while before its setup.
    that said did you look into other options is there cable setup, could try virgin they have monthly no contract plans, if your waiting for fiber optic meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

scamalert wrote: »
    could be a pickle if they are still finishing estate, ive gotten email from siro today and they been working in established estate now for few months and cable rolling all over places, but checking on eir code no info thou most part of town are connected, so its really whoever is behind that decide at what pace they work.As for contact you could try vodafone or digiweb etc who have contracts with siro and get onto live chat and see what the response, prob wont get much info but thinks thats the most you can get, same as you spoke with workers who do installation of cables in my area and there was no set date, once one crew finishes next come in, then engineers etc, so takes good while before its setup.
    that said did you look into other options is there cable setup, could try virgin they have monthly no contract plans, if your waiting for fiber optic meanwhile.

i have virgin just fed up with paying the high amount for just broadband when I dont use it loads, and this is why I was looking at eir for basic fibre as our estate is supposed to be connected for eir but looks like eir have not done anything to date and getting a timeframe from eir online sales is a waste of time and only respsonse I get is Place and order.....

Raising this topic again. Checking my eircode on Airwire gives this one as available:

VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available
    Click for more info...

Last updated: 09.10.2018

Do you think the line is now active and able to order? Thanks

Raising this topic again. Checking my eircode on Airwire gives this one as available:

VDSL Broadband
    (up to 100 Mbit/s)
    Available
    Click for more info...

Last updated: 09.10.2018

Do you think the line is now active and able to order? Thanks

It's possible but you would need to clarify with Airwire. There is a cabinet on the left hand side of the road as you head towards Dublin (I was able to work out where you are from the picture above).

Previously Airwire made a change to their checker that if a premises was within 500m it gave available as a response. However open eir may not have copper connections planned for your estate to that cabinet.

As yours is a new build estate it may be a case of open eir installing FTTH throughout. Is is a while since I passed there so I'm not sure if the building work is even finished. Apparently open eir will not roll out to a new estate until development work is completely finished.

It's possible but you would need to clarify with Airwire. There is a cabinet on the left hand side of the road as you head towards Dublin (I was able to work out where you are from the picture above).

Previously Airwire made a change to their checker that if a premises was within 500m it gave available as a response. However open eir may not have copper connections planned for your estate to that cabinet.

As yours is a new build estate it may be a case of open eir installing FTTH throughout. Is is a while since I passed there so I'm not sure if the building work is even finished. Apparently open eir will not roll out to a new estate until development work is completely finished.

I will contact Airwire. Thanks.

It's not the first time I've heard openeir will wait until the estate is finished first. It's my guess alright. Any way to find out if that's the case. I've heard a few estates like this. And I think the builder knows it too but won't admit it because that would damage the new sales.

Doesn't look like our estate will be finished for another year and a half. If I knew this was the case, I'd go into an 18 month contract with Three for their "unlimited" broadband.

I will contact Airwire. Thanks.

It's not the first time I've heard openeir will wait until the estate is finished first. It's my guess alright. Any way to find out if that's the case. I've heard a few estates like this. And I think the builder knows it too but won't admit it because that would damage the new sales.

Doesn't look like our estate will be finished for another year and a half. If I knew this was the case, I'd go into an 18 month contract with Three for their "unlimited" broadband.

It's next to impossible to get information out of them. Airwire might have a contact that would have more information. The issue is becoming more common alright. It crops up here regularly now.

It's next to impossible to get information out of them. Airwire might have a contact that would have more information. The issue is becoming more common alright. It crops up here regularly now.

Any way to know for sure if this is the case?

• Advertisement

Any way to know for sure if this is the case?

I'm not sure what you're asking me. You want to know for sure if they have planned FTTH for your estate?

Start with Airwire. Ask them can you order VDSL from that cab near the filling station. If you can't get that ask Airwire can they find out from open eir if there is a planned date for FTTH work taking place in your estate.

If you want to contact open eir yourself you can try emailing your Eircode to fibrepower@openeir.ie. They will most likely ignore you. They are also on twitter @openeir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i'm in the same problem with my estate. 4-5 houses left in the estate and nobody connected. People living here nearly a year. KN were in the estate in September and still our date got kicked back to November 2nd.

I've decided now to file a Complaint through Comreg, because these dates seem to mean nothing. They have told me work would be completed May 31st, July 31st, August 31st, September 30th and now November 2nd. My neighbours who were in 4 months before me have the same but it kicked from Jan-Feb-March etc.

KN networks were in the estate and my neighbour asked the question, they said the estate would be live tomorrow. However still now it says that an Eir box is missing. But nobody is coming to put the needful in the estate. So these dates hold no true scheduling value. Nobody is actually scheduled to be out by the given dates. So why give a date. So I'm filing a complain with ComReg. I am fairly certain it will amount to nothing but this bullcrap of Eir Retail to Eir Wholesale to KN Networks and nobody in KN can answer questions, I'm not allowed talk to Eir Wholesale and Eir retail haven't a clue what's going on. So I'm going to attempt to hold someone accountable, even if it changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Complaining is pointless. Build operations aren't regulated by COMREG.

i'm in the same problem with my estate. 4-5 houses left in the estate and nobody connected. People living here nearly a year. KN were in the estate in September and still our date got kicked back to November 2nd.

I've decided now to file a Complaint through Comreg, because these dates seem to mean nothing. They have told me work would be completed May 31st, July 31st, August 31st, September 30th and now November 2nd. My neighbours who were in 4 months before me have the same but it kicked from Jan-Feb-March etc.

KN networks were in the estate and my neighbour asked the question, they said the estate would be live tomorrow. However still now it says that an Eir box is missing. But nobody is coming to put the needful in the estate. So these dates hold no true scheduling value. Nobody is actually scheduled to be out by the given dates. So why give a date. So I'm filing a complain with ComReg. I am fairly certain it will amount to nothing but this bullcrap of Eir Retail to Eir Wholesale to KN Networks and nobody in KN can answer questions, I'm not allowed talk to Eir Wholesale and Eir retail haven't a clue what's going on. So I'm going to attempt to hold someone accountable, even if it changes nothing.

Are you sure we’re not in the same estate? All sounds too familiar.

I went through comreg as well, no joy. Got an answer from eir but same excuses and passing buck to OpenEir and KN. The frustration is nobody admitting to the issue and an honest timeline. I think at this stage, I think councilors or politicians are only way to actually push this stuff through, especially if it’s a common thing on new estates.

I went through comreg as well, no joy. Got an answer from eir but same excuses and passing buck to OpenEir and KN. The frustration is nobody admitting to the issue and an honest timeline. I think at this stage, I think councilors or politicians are only way to actually push this stuff through, especially if it’s a common thing on new estates.

It definitely would not hurt to email the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie about your situation.

Your estate is part of the 300K contract agreed with the Government. There are specified times mentioned for connection in the contract. The DCCAE might have some leverage on open eir.

It definitely would not hurt to email the DCCAE at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie about your situation.

Your estate is part of the 300K contract agreed with the Government. There are specified times mentioned for connection in the contract. The DCCAE might have some leverage on open eir.

Yes, that might be worth a try alright. Nice one

Yes, that might be worth a try alright. Nice one

Let us know how you get on.

Let us know how you get on.

Will do. I’m like a dog with a bone on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Hah are you in Bettystown? If so maybe

I understand Comreg likely will do nothing, but I think it's madness that a communication regulator can have no power over an arm of Eir that delivers the communication infrastructure. There has to be accountability and if Comreg won't deliver something i'll move to politicians. I'm not gonna let it lie.

• Advertisement

Been away for a couple of weeks and picking this up again. Checking the airwire site and this looks promising...

Screen-Shot-2018-10-24-at-19-40-43.png

Advertisement