Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Renewal

Options
  • 15-09-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Got my application form for my renewal today. I was hoping to get a suppressor for a rifle only there is no provision to make amendments on the renewal form. What do I do to get an amendment to my licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Print out a FCA1 form and just tick the box that says youve had a licence on this firearm in the past 3 years with a accompanying explanation letter.
    Theres no such thing renewal form?:confused: just another FCA1???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Don't use an FCA1. It's an application and coupled with the FCR you might end up "applying" twice for the same gun.

I know some lads will tell you the FCA1 is the same as the FCR and how Gardaí have accepted it [FCA1] instead of the FCR. Well that is grand, but incorrect. Gardaí should not be accepting FCA1's in lieu of FCRs and the Garda website says they won't accept an FCA1 for the FCR.

On the FCR, in section 4.2, it asks if your current license allows for the use of a silencer. You tick either yes or no depending on your situation.

If i were you i'd tick no, as you don't, then include a letter of explanation saying you want a silencer and you want it added to the "renewal". Also include reasons for wanting it such as:
    1. To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
    2. To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
    3. To avoid the unsafe practice of wearing hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    4. Protection of personal hearing
    5. Improved accuracy, therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
    6. Allows for a quicker follow up shot to avoid game running away wounded
    7. Ideal for vermin control.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Cass wrote: »
    Don't use an FCA1. It's an application and coupled with the FCR you might end up "applying" twice for the same gun.

I know some lads will tell you the FCA1 is the same as the FCR and how Gardaí have accepted it [FCA1] instead of the FCR. Well that is grand, but incorrect. Gardaí should not be accepting FCA1's in lieu of FCRs and the Garda website says they won't accept an FCA1 for the FCR.

On the FCR, in section 4.2, it asks if your current license allows for the use of a silencer. You tick either yes or no depending on your situation.

If i were you i'd tick no, as you don't, then include a letter of explanation saying you want a silencer and you want it added to the "renewal". Also include reasons for wanting it such as:
    1. To aid sound reduction of the firearm when used around livestock and bloodstock.
    2. To aid sound reduction so as to not alarm people in the vicinity.
    3. To avoid the unsafe practice of wearing hearing protection while stalking / hunting
    4. Protection of personal hearing
    5. Improved accuracy, therefore aiding with the humane dispatch of prey due to reduced recoil etc
    6. Allows for a quicker follow up shot to avoid game running away wounded
    7. Ideal for vermin control.

Sorry thanks for that in my district they've previously used FCA1s for renewals:o. They must be in the wrong

. They must be in the wrong
    Never apologise lad, you're working of info given to you, mistakenly, by AGS.

From the Garda Website:
    Please note that only the PRE POPULATED FCR form will be acceptable to An Garda Síochána when renewing a firearm certificate and each application for renewal must be accurately completed prior to returning the FCR to the Garda Station. Finally, the Firearms Renewal Form (FCR) is only used for renewals of firearm certificates. Any new application or substitution for a firearm certificate shall continue to be made on the FCA1 application form.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Print out a FCA1 form and just tick the box that says youve had a licence on this firearm in the past 3 years with a accompanying explanation letter.
    Theres no such thing renewal form?:confused: just another FCA1???

"Firearm certificate renewal form". Being the correct title.

• Advertisement

Any idea as to why they want us to tick the box as to whether we have a licence for a suppressor or not.

I believe its to allow for someone to apply for one if they don't currently have one. Otherwise it'd be pre-populated (already marked) as being on your license (or not as the case may be) and give you no opportunity to add one to a license.

Can't be. All the other boxs are prefilled so why not the moderator one. If it was prefilled why wouldn't it allow you to apply for it.

I might not be explaining this too well so bear with me.

Because the FCR form is in one format. They don't issue you a specific one based on, well, you. It's a generic form to encompass all types of applicants and firearms.

As i said above if you don't have one [suppressor] you tick no. If you send it back like that your new license won't have the "S" on it. If you tick yes, then your new license will come back with the "S" on it. (Of course there is always the risk you won't get it, but thats another discussion for another thread).

As we use FCRs for renewals if there was no option to tick a box then you have no chance to apply to have it added to your new license. Now if this happens it means com renewal you use the FCR to renew, then when all of its done you must use an FCA1 to apply for the suppressor separately. More paperwork, more hassle, more grief.

Also, and again i know not many if anyone gets charged, but legally speaking the suppressor is a firearm in it own right and to apply for one separately to the actual firearm should cost you another €80. So if they did not allow for the adding of a suppressor via the FCR then people could cry foul as each rifle application could cost you €160, not €80.

It must be based on me. All the other details are on it ,name address d.o.b. etc. Why not suppressor details. I know the logic you are trying to explain but if all the other details are on it why not the suppressor. They should of course have it preprinted and then have another box to tick to give you the option of getting one.

• Advertisement

I'm running out of ways to explain it.

When i say generic form i mean your form will be identical to mine, except the personal details. IOW they don't edit your blank/unfilled form to include the suppressor authorisation.

Its there for you to apply for a suppressor. Whether you have one and need it renewed, don't and want one, or in case you have a letter from your Super instead of the "S" (which while legal is not what is meant to be done).

What they should do and actually do are miles apart. We were meant to have a credit card style license with our photo on it, but that never happened. They claimed they launched the new licenses too early but in the last 9 years have not corrected it.

The above only applies to FCRs and getting a suppressor when renewing. To get a suppressor during your current license means an FCA1 application, but as per "not doing it the right way" style of administration, it usually justs involves a chat with your FO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I just wrote a note and added it to my renewal form for the .22, requesting a silencer add-on. Got it too, with conditions that I can only use it on my own property and any rifle range in the ROI.:rolleyes:.

Apparently ,my Super wants people to be able to "hear " gunshots where I hunt [with my silenced 308, that the former Cheif Super granted,]and that I would have no control who would come onto that land, it would be a risk to public safety, but since I control access to my own private property, there is no such risk to the public safety.....Go figure!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Did ya apply for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I did, but as the liscense renewal form doesn't have any box to tick for adding on a silencer or NV,I just added a request letter to the renewal form.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement