Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caesaerian section effect on new born

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...if you have one then you will have to have another one the next time.

Not necessarily. I know people who were in this scenario and had a natural delivery next time round. Not many, but some.

I also don't believe that we really know the full story about the effect on the child as yet. Psychotherapists have some interesting theories about this and the emotional consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I suppose it's like being asleep in a warm cozy bed and suddenly the duvet is ripped off and a very bright light is put on versus slowly waking naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I have had 3 sections. My first one as my baby did not turn and I am very small myself so it was deemed safer. I was going to be left to try labour with my second but due to my baby having a disability it was safer for her to again have a section. Believe me when you are faced with that you don't argue. Third baby was then automatically a C section as they said my womb might rupture having been cut twice before. At the end of the day I had my 3 babies whatever way they were born and I have refused to be made feel less of a woman, 'too posh to push'.
    As an aside C section babies have perfect little roundy heads, not distorted from forceps or being pushed out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A C section saved many a sick baby . Babies with weak hearts , babies in danger , mums in danger , babies who would be severely damaged , babies in distress and babies who needed out in a hurry . Medically many a disaster was averted by a C Section .
    I think having the duvet ripped off as opposed to waking naturally was the least of their troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A C section saved many a sick baby . Babies with weak hearts , babies in danger , mums in danger , babies who would be severely damaged , babies in distress and babies who needed out in a hurry . Medically many a disaster was averted by a C Section .
    I think having the duvet ripped off as opposed to waking naturally was the least of their troubles

It was meant as a joke as per how silly this thread is, C sections save lives.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Homegrown in the matrix and delivered by the machines, Zion would not approve

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mariaalice wrote: »
    It was meant as a joke as per how silly this thread is, C sections save lives.

Some c-sections save lives.

Others ensure that consultant's golf-games aren't interrupted by natural labour happening at inconvenient times.

The problem is, in comparing rates it can be difficult to work out which is which.

But I suspect we'd get more improvement in child-health if the focus was on ensuring that only babies who need artificial feeding are actually given it - and those whose mother's don't have contra-indications get the support they need to breastfeed successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Homegrown in the matrix and delivered by the machines, Zion would not approve
    Well I've said the same thing a thousand times myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Haven't we all?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some c-sections save lives.

Others ensure that consultant's golf-games aren't interrupted by natural labour happening at inconvenient times.

The problem is, in comparing rates it can be difficult to work out which is which.

But I suspect we'd get more improvement in child-health if the focus was on ensuring that only babies who need artificial feeding are actually given it - and those whose mother's don't have contra-indications get the support they need to breastfeed successfully.

30+ years ago my (4th) newborn was not feeding and I tried to tell staff that I didn't think she was getting any milk. Finally I insisted on her being weighed before and after a feed and she was immediately given a bottle, she had been getting nothing for several days.

The point I am making is that staff were so reluctant to give bottles that I had to insist on it to get it. I don't think there has been any amount of artificial feeding for over 30 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement