Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

A statement from the Gardai (who i'm sure can access the relevant info) carries a lot more weight than comments from the rent-a-yobs (who think shouting the loudest = proof)

Any statement on the roadworthiness of the vehicle? Surely they must have information on a 12 year old rusty banger with dodgy tires. Or allowing a vehicle to park on a double yellow line, on a corner, for such a long period of time.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Like the thousands of berth test they Garda told us they took ,
    Why in the world would you believe what the Garda say without evidence  
    Anyone can use the website online , you just enter the reg  and it clearly shows it was last taxed in 2014  , but no no the Garda are telling the truth,

Cos that's the crux of what's happening here, fcuking tax on a jesus van.

It's a waste of breath/data, worrying about whether tax has been collected in another state.

There's a bigger debate to be had, going on about the van diminishes everything, regardless of which side of the discussion you find yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

dav3 wrote: »
    Any statement on the roadworthiness of the vehicle? Surely they must have information on a 12 year old rusty banger with dodgy tires. Or allowing a vehicle to park on a double yellow line, on a corner, for such a long period of time.

image.jpg

It is farcical in light of the criminal actions of the protesters to be focussing on bald tyres on a badly parked van.

The protesters seem to think that they can break every law in the land but if a single person who disagrees with them commits the most minor offence, it is a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone can use the website online , you just enter the reg  and it clearly shows it was last taxed in 2014  , but no no the Garda are telling the truth,

Cos that's the crux of what's happening here, fcuking tax on a jesus van.

It's a waste of breath/data, worrying about whether tax has been collected in another state.

There's a bigger debate to be had, going on about the van diminishes everything, regardless of which side of the discussion you find yourself.
    I agree it with you but once again it calls the professionalism of the Garda into question , We leave yourself open to stupid things like this ,its very unprofessional

blanch152 wrote: »
    dav3 wrote: »

image.jpg

It is farcical in light of the criminal actions of the protesters to be focussing on bald tyres on a badly parked van.

The protesters seem to think that they can break every law in the land but if a single person who disagrees with them commits the most minor offence, it is a scandal.
    Its the Garda that give them the ammunition, do things professionally and correct and then there is no debate to be had,
    Again I do not agree with the protesters ,

• Advertisement

I agree it with you but once again it calls the professionalism of the Garda into question , We leave yourself open to stupid things like this ,its very unprofessional

I dont think it matters tbh, rather have em standing there with ballys and batons than shooting me at a traffic stop for scratching my hole.

The real issue here is that it's too fcuking expensive to build/buy/rent a house here, seems to be lost on a lot of folk worrying about a van & the length of some lads hair.

But how in the blue fcuk do we solve this issue without making something else feel the hit? or creating too fine a fine line between those who go broke to pay for a house, vs those who get one paid for by the state. Who gets what, and why?

I am not seeing any suggestions on how to do this - by anyone...

We could make it cheaper to build housing by reducing the labour cost for instance, which will in turn reduce the ability of people to buy houses from their wages.

We could reduce the building regulations (part L) but in turn continue to destroy the environment with energy hungry housing - which in turn would be more expensive to run/keep warm so increasing the life cost..

Can't win..

Honestly - can someone tell me an actual VIABLE solution to the quagmire we find ourselves in, I wrote out a list of about 40 different approaches last night - in each eventuality - a large amount of people get screwed over, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

As stated many times throughout this thread and in every national newspaper I have read. The Gardai have stated that the van was fully taxed and insured. Can we stop waffling on with this misinformation??

And as been stated many times in this thread also, they have been proven wrong in that the van hasn't been taxed since 2014 so can you please stop waffling on with misinformation.

I dont think it matters tbh, rather have em standing there with ballys and batons than shooting me at a traffic stop for scratching my hole.

The real issue here is that it's too fcuking expensive to build/buy/rent a house here, seems to be lost on a lot of folk worrying about a van & the length of some lads hair.

But how in the blue fcuk do we solve this issue without making something else feel the hit? or creating too fine a fine line between those who go broke to pay for a house, vs those who get one paid for by the state. Who gets what, and why?

I am not seeing any suggestions on how to do this - by anyone...

We could make it cheaper to build housing by reducing the labour cost for instance, which will in turn reduce the ability of people to buy houses from their wages.

We could reduce the building regulations (part L) but in turn continue to destroy the environment with energy hungry housing - which in turn would be more expensive to run/keep warm so increasing the life cost..

Can't win..

Honestly - can someone tell me an actual VIABLE solution to the quagmire we find ourselves in, I wrote out a list of about 40 different approaches last night - in each eventuality - a large amount of people get screwed over, no matter what.

The only solution to this problem is INCREASED SUPPLY. That's it, it's not rocket science. I don't see how increasing supply screws anyone over except, (wait for it), investors and landlords.

See something wrong there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The van was tax and insurance compliant in Ireland. That doesn't mean it was taxed. It wasn't required to be taxed in Ireland and it's tax status in UK/NI is not something the Gardaí enforce.

BBFAN wrote: »
    The only solution to this problem is INCREASED SUPPLY. That's it, it's not rocket science. I don't see how increasing supply screws anyone over except, (wait for it), investors and landlords.

I think the argument is over how to increase supply. Trying to cram houses into every hole in Dublin isn't the way imho. Make renting a more attractive proposal for property owners. Loosen up planning restrictions. Sort out the banks so they can't keep screwing us on mortgages. Improve rural transport links.

• Advertisement

The van was tax and insurance compliant in Ireland. That doesn't mean it was taxed. It wasn't required to be taxed in Ireland and it's tax status in UK/NI is not something the Gardaí enforce.

Serious question , how can you be tax compliant if its not taxed  ? Wouldn't everyone just buy northern reg cars and drive them around non tax'd ?
    So why do Garda impound car's not Tax'd and not VRT'd

Ah, so if you capitalise it it just happens?

How do we INCREASE THE SUPPLY? Supply from who - those nasty mean investors and developers who do it for PROFIT (the fcuking cheek of them having a business model)?

or get the government to build them with funds.. FUNDS from where? what funds?

You haven't answered anything, at all.

I think the argument is over how to increase supply. Trying to cram houses into every hole in Dublin isn't the way imho. Make renting a more attractive proposal for property owners. Loosen up planning restrictions. Sort out the banks so they can't keep screwing us on mortgages. Improve rural transport links.

I agree, there are a million different reasons to delay doing something, there's always going to be an argument against wherever or however they decide to build houses, doesn't matter. They've spent 10 years now sitting on their hands using all these arguments. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and just do it, right or wrong.

It's easy for politicians to sit in the Dail and debate these issues for years on end, they know they won't be held accountable at the end of the day because they're only there for 4 years, maybe less. What's not easy is to take action.

It's the reason I admire the protestors, they may not be doing the right things but they're at least doing something.

I also think a much more experienced minister should be put in charge of housing and left there for his lifetime, not the lifetime of the government.

Anyone who knows they have an exit route from a job in a few years times is not incentivised to do that job well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You mean on the website that states:

"I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 170 of the Data Protection Act 2018. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry."

Also, the van is no longer registered in UK, it is registered in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Public order unit were dispatched to a site for a specific reason and that was not to do spot checks for road tax and lyres.

It drives me mad, "protestors" defy the law and court orders but are quick to demand action under the law when they perceive they may have been wronged.

F***ing joke

Serious question , how can you be tax compliant if its not taxed ? Wouldn't everyone just buy northern reg cars and drive them around non tax'd ?

If you live and work in NI then you must pay vehicle tax to the NI/UK. If you travel to Ireland for the day you are not obliged to tax your car in Ireland. That's why you can drive up to Newry and do the shopping without having to pay vehicle tax to NI.

If, on the other hand, you live and work in Ireland and drive around in a UK import, you must register it and pay VRT within one month of bringing it in. Then you must pay tax on it.

Gardaí impound vehicles that have no Irish tax but they cannot enforce UK/NI revenue laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Lau2976 wrote: »
    thing about "the people youve spoken to" is that its a self-selecting group innit

Which is why I pointed that out...?

I agree, there are a million different reasons to delay doing something, there's always going to be an argument against wherever or however they decide to build houses, doesn't matter. They've spent 10 years now sitting on their hands using all these arguments. Someone needs to take the bull by the horns and just do it, right or wrong.

It's easy for politicians to sit in the Dail and debate these issues for years on end, they know they won't be held accountable at the end of the day because they're only there for 4 years, maybe less. What's not easy is to take action.

It's the reason I admire the protestors, they may not be doing the right things but they're at least doing something.

I also think a much more experienced minister should be put in charge of housing and left there for his lifetime, not the lifetime of the government.

Anyone who knows they have an exit route from a job in a few years times is not incentivised to do that job well.

jesus what an absolute disaster of a post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And as been stated many times in this thread also, they have been proven wrong in that the van hasn't been taxed since 2014 so can you please stop waffling on with misinformation.

Where has it been proven?? Any story I've read in the red tops use the word "allegedly" anytime they mention the tax being out.

They aren't doing anything useful though. All they've done is pick a fight with the Gardaí and disrupt traffic. They've also managed to waste hospital resources too. A true accomplishment of uselessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

They've also managed to waste hospital resources too.

Havn't heard about this, how so?

RWCNT wrote: »
    Havn't heard about this, how so?

When they were released form custody they piled into A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

the_syco wrote: »
    How was it like the last time you went looking for a house? And when was that?

I was last looking for accommodation between May and July and before then between September and November.

It's tough. It's pure dog eat dog stuff out there at the moment. As soon as a property appears on Daft about a hundred people enquire in the first fifteen minutes. That's not an exaggeration. Most people who haven't been thrust into that game are a bit blasé about how mad it is out there at the moment - and it's getting worse.

You mean on the website that states:

"I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 170 of the Data Protection Act 2018. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry."

Also, the van is no longer registered in UK, it is registered in Wexford.
    Why is it not VRT's if the van is registered in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They aren't doing anything useful though. All they've done is pick a fight with the Gardaí and disrupt traffic. They've also managed to waste hospital resources too. A true accomplishment of uselessness.

I disagree. They've* brought a decent amount of focus on the shortage of rentals and how renters are getting screwed.
    For that I can thank them.

*The same crew will of course protest against any developers building or concessions given to landlords in an attempt to get them to provide more accomodation, so I can't have it every way.:pac:

Serious question , how can you be tax compliant if its not taxed  ? Wouldn't everyone just buy northern reg cars and drive them around non tax'd ?

If you live and work in NI then you must pay vehicle tax to the NI/UK. If you travel to Ireland for the day you are not obliged to tax your car in Ireland. That's why you can drive up to Newry and do the shopping without having to pay vehicle tax to NI.

If, on the other hand, you live and work in Ireland and drive around in a UK import, you must register it and pay VRT within one month of bringing it in. Then you must pay tax on it.

Gardaí impound vehicles that have no Irish tax but they cannot enforce UK/NI revenue laws.
    Latest is the van is registered in Wexford , So should it not be VRT'd and Taxed here, unless its only registered in the last month,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where has it been proven?? Any story I've read in the red tops use the word "allegedly" anytime they mention the tax being out.

That's because they can't state it unless someone has been convicted of having it on the road while untaxed.

But still. It's nothing more than a distraction from everything that's led to the van being there. If the protesters left when they were told to, there would have been no van.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Did just that, there are 6 pages of properties.

6 Pages? For Dublin City? The whole of Ireland? You are the first person I've come across that seems to think there's loads of property out there!

Guaranteed bro that once you go past page two, those properties are now only available for rent in name only: they are long gone at this stage, but people just leave them up because they couldn't be bothered removing from the website. There's fck all accommodation out there and loads of people looking for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I disagree. They've* brought a decent amount of focus on the shortage of rentals and how renters are getting screwed.
    For that I can thank them.

*The same crew will of course protest against any developers building or concessions given to landlords in an attempt to get them to provide more accomodation, so I can't have it every way.:pac:

No they haven't.

• Advertisement

Ah, so if you capitalise it it just happens?

How do we INCREASE THE SUPPLY? Supply from who - those nasty mean investors and developers who do it for PROFIT (the fcuking cheek of them having a business model)?

or get the government to build them with funds.. FUNDS from where? what funds?

You haven't answered anything, at all.

They start building the houses themselves again. Very simple, it worked in the 80's, it can work again.

Funds can always be found, when they're caught out for a cancer scandal or sex abuse scandal, where do you think that money magically appears from.

Where are your answers?

Advertisement