Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional or not

Options
  • 11-09-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭

Here's one which might generate a bit of discussion.

If you hit a shot over water, you are close the far side, best part of 200 yards away and you just can't see the finish, but you know you have come up short of the green, yet reasonably sure you have clung on in the rough.
    Playing partners tell you that you are in the drink. So maybe you are in the water, but maybe you are not. There is a drop zone area a few yards away from where you first hit.

Logic might dictate that you hit your provisional as if you walk up and it turns out your ball hasn't made it over, then you will have to walk back as the drop zone is right beside your original shot.

What do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Here's one which might generate a bit of discussion.

If you hit a shot over water, you are close the far side, best part of 200 yards away and you just can't see the finish, but you know you have come up short of the green, yet reasonably sure you have clung on in the rough.
    Playing partners tell you that you are in the drink. So maybe you are in the water, but maybe you are not. There is a drop zone area a few yards away from where you first hit.

Logic might dictate that you hit your provisional as if you walk up and it turns out your ball hasn't made it over, then you will have to walk back as the drop zone is right beside your original shot.

What do you do?
    Why wouldn't you hit a provisional? :confused:
    It's not going to take much time and, as you say, you'd have to walk back and hit your penalty shot if the original ball can't be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A provisional ball can only be hit if you think the original is lost or out of bounds. You cannot hit a provisional if you think a ball may be in a hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you hit a provisional? :confused:
    It's not going to take much time and, as you say, you'd have to walk back and hit your penalty shot if the original ball can't be found.

you would think so

A provisional ball can only be hit if you think the original is lost or out of bounds. You cannot hit a provisional if you think a ball may be in a hazard.

yep.

a bit stupid that isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve confused me with his red-herring 'provisional' ball. :o
    It's not a provisional ball in that case. It's a ball played under penalty of stroke and distance.

That ball must be played whether the original is found or not, so the answer is to go forward and see if the original ball can be found and go back to the drop zone, if not. Time consuming and all as that may be.

Edit: You have to be virtually certain that the ball is in the hazard before taking the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I had this exact same scenario yesterday on the 8th in Tullamore. I hit my tee shot over the pond to the right of the hole (was aiming left but that’s another story) I was full sure it didn’t make it over but we didn’t see a splash. Searched for a few mins and no sign of a ball anywhere so it had to be in the water, nowhere else for it to go.

Proceeded under yellow staked hazard rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

yep.

a bit stupid that isn't it?

Because there is a difference between losing a ball and being in a hazard. What if you had hit a provisional walked up and decided that you were going to play the ball from the hazard? You leave the door open to all kinds of situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Not true anymore. There is now an option to play what you could call a provisional provisional

I’ll dig out the wording

Not true anymore. There is now an option to play what you could call a provisional provisional

I’ll dig out the wording

not sure, I think I saw it in the new rule book

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Seve confused me with his red-herring 'provisional' ball. :o
    It's not a provisional ball in that case. It's a ball played under penalty of stroke and distance.

That ball must be played whether the original is found or not, so the answer is to go forward and see if the original ball can be found and go back to the drop zone, if not. Time consuming and all as that may be.

Edit: You have to be virtually certain that the ball is in the hazard before taking the drop.

wasn't meant as a red herring
    I would have thought it was fine to hit a provo in this situation, basically to save time going back if it turned out the ball was in the hazard

• Advertisement

Q.
    Is it true that, if a player’s original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, the player is precluded from playing a provisional ball?

A.
    No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned – Rule 27–2c.

Q.
    Is it true that, if a player’s original ball may have come to rest in a water hazard, the player is precluded from playing a provisional ball?

A.
    No. Even though the original ball may be in a water hazard, the player is entitled to play a provisional ball if the original ball might also be lost outside the water hazard or out of bounds. In such a case, if the original ball is found in the water hazard, the provisional ball must be abandoned – Rule 27–2c.

think that makes a difference here

Q.

A.

That's true but that does not answer the question above where Seve suggested playing a provisional for a ball in the water hazard.

kiers47 wrote: »
    That's true but that does not answer the question above where Seve suggested playing a provisional for a ball in the water hazard.

Did he not say that he thought he was in the rough but partners thought it was in the drink ?

Did he not say that he thought he was in the rough but partners thought it was in the drink ?

I took that as he would be playing a provisional in case his partners we're right and he was in the hazard rather than that it was lost in the rough. He mentioned that it may have held on so thought that indicated that if in the rough it would be fine.

In any case that rule you quoted is the essence of it. If possibility of lost outside hazard then you can play a provisional.

Yea, I thought it was in the rough, not lost.

Yea, I thought it was in the rough, not lost.

Ah! I thought you meant lost in the rough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I had this scenario in a matchplay a few years ago. My opponent played a provo after he thought he may have gone in the hazard to the right of the green. All 4 players only searched along the hazard which was full of reeds, didn't find it so he played his provisional. I thought this was incorrect and he should have dropped other side of the hazard which was marked with yellow stakes.
    I also had similar on Sunday, where I hooked a drive on a par 5. It most likely went into an hazard marked with reds but it wasn't visible from the tee. I was about to play it as a lost ball but my partners convinced me I should take a drop near likely point of entry.

It seems to be case between determining beyond reasonable doubt if it's likely to be in the hazard or not in the hazard.

If you went to search for it and didn't find it or see it in the hazard, then it's lost and you have to play 3rd from the tee. If your partners deemed it to be in the hazard then you'd have choice to play 3rd from the drop zone or the tee.

f your partners deemed it to be in the hazard then you'd have choice to play 3rd from the drop zone or the tee.

Im pretty sure that its up to you to decide and not your partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Our place has a local rule allowing you to hit a provisional if you think you are in the river bordering the course. However the advice I've received from some members in the past regarding this local rule was incorrect.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Our place has a local rule allowing you to hit a provisional if you think you are in the river bordering the course. However the advice I've received from some members in the past regarding this local rule was incorrect.

Would that be OB though rather than a hazard. So a provisional would be permitted anyway.

If not OB its surely red stakes so you could drop beside it in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

a lot can depend on how the hazard is marked.

Often there is long rough outside the hazard boundary which makes it more complicated to know if the ball is in the hazard or not.
    IMO long rough should be part of the hazard to avoid/minimise this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought this was straightforward?
    You have to be certain that your ball is in the hazard to proceed under hazard rules. If you didn't see a splash and the ball can't be found and no one else says they saw it 100% going into the hazard then you cant be certain and you proceed with your provisional, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

You have to be certain that your ball is in the hazard to proceed under hazard rules. If you didn't see a splash and the ball can't be found and no one else says they saw it 100% going into the hazard then you cant be certain and you proceed with your provisional, no?
    And if you were then to look for it and find it in the hazard? You must play it as a ball in a hazard then? So, could you play your provo or would you have to return to the drop zone or the tee?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are correct, its just that if the area around the hazard contains long, "natural" grass it is considerably harder to determine if its in the hazard or not.
    If the long grass area is part of the hazard and your ball cannot be found anywhere else, its reasonable to be certain its in the hazard.

It just makes it easier to determine the outcome if the hazard enompasses the heavy rough area.

BTW a splash isnt enough evidence to be reasonably certain, I believe thats specifically covered in the decisions.
    And if you were then to look for it and find it in the hazard? You must play it as a ball in a hazard then? So, could you play your provo or would you have to return to the drop zone or the tee?

If you find it in the hazard OR you can be virtually certain it is (you get up there and someone tells you they saw it go in, you dont have to actually find it) then your provo is null and void and you are back to the usual options with the original ball, replay the shot (as you can do anywhere at anytime and for any reason!), go back as far as you want in line with where the ball last crossed the hazard and the pin or if its a lateral hazard take a 2 club length drop from the point the ball last crossed the hazard no nearer the hole.

I'm not a fan of drop point E here as I dont know how you are supposed to work it out.
    https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Rules/QuickGuide/Relief-Situations-and-Procedures/Water-Hazards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes of course. You'd have to play under hazard rules the moment you find it there.

IMO there is no difference to any other provisional.
    You play it to save time 'cos you're not sure where your ball ended up and whether it can be found at all. The moment you find your original ball your provo is out. Whether the original ball is in the hazard and you proceed under hazard rule or whether you find it outside and proceed normally makes no real difference. The provo is never a 'choice' ball.

Yes of course. You'd have to play under hazard rules the moment you find it there.

IMO there is no difference to any other provisional.
    You play it to save time 'cos you're not sure where your ball ended up and whether it can be found at all. The moment you find your original ball your provo is out. Whether the original ball is in the hazard and you proceed under hazard rule or whether you find it outside and proceed normally makes no real difference. The provo is never a 'choice' ball.

But as per my situation above, if you do find your original ball outside the hazard you can't continue normally, it is tough titty and it is not in play and your second ball is in play and you have already taken 3

But as per my situation above, if you do find your original ball outside the hazard you can't continue normally, it is tough titty and it is not in play and your second ball is in play and you have already taken 3

Are you suggesting that they should change the rule to allow you to play a provisional for a ball in a hazard.

As i mentioned earlier if this is the case. What if you find your ball in the hazard and it is sitting up nicely and you want to play it? But you are in the hazard and you played a provisional for a ball that was in the hazard. I understand that it could speed up play. But you are opening up a can of worms with this kind of rule.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that they should change the rule to allow you to play a provisional for a ball in a hazard..

no

• Advertisement

no

Fair enough. My misunderstanding.

What is the query you had?

Advertisement