Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a chain and sprockets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TallGlass wrote: »
    Sorry lads. Back at it again today. Went out to Cotters, seen a half decent tyre B014 I think for 70€. Anyway, they didn't have it and ended up getting a Pierelli Angel SP for 130€. Just went with it, reviews seem okay, should have gone with the Dunlop for the price but couldn't think of the name of the tyre at the time.

Anyway, sure it's on the bike now, new sproket and greased it up. There sounds like a bit of rubbing, so think bearing might be on way out. Or might not be even on axle. Happy enoght so far, going in order of things that came off. Will replace breaks next then fit the chain.

Oh and torque it all up as I do it !

Chain and sprockets at the same time or you are wasting your money. The chain will now wear the new sprockets and when you fit a new chain the sprockets will wear the chain.

Check your eccentric adjusters to make sure that you have the wheel correctly aligned for the rubbing noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Was on mobile with that post so it did not make much sense.

Just to clear up, I got a new tyre (changed it while it was off, made more sense to me to do it now) while the chain/sprockets are been changed (as mentioned it's pointless having them off and not changing them).

I am half way into the job, working my way back in reverse order of what came off.

Tyre is new, back sprocket is new, chain will be new, drive sprocket is new, it's all new parts.

Will fit new break pads next, then final drive sprocket and finally fit the chain. The greasing was in reference to putting some grease on wheel bearings and axle.

Hope that clears things up, hoping to try get a few photos.

Just on a side note, this is a fairly straight forward operation, you'd have it done in a day, I am just picking away at it in between other stuff, so that's why it's taking longer.

So all done tonight with chain and sprockets, was to into it and forgot to take photos. Only issue was break pads on back, can't get the screw/bolt off to release the break pads from the calliper.

Only ever seen that type of set up on an Evo 4 with Brembos, there a bollix to change if the pin gets stuck which it has.

I tried to turn it with a flat head screwdriver but it just started to round it. Dunno what to do with it to be honest.

I took a look on YouTube, the technical name is a treaded cap, doesn't look to deep into it, however whoever changed them before had the thing bet on. Might try some heat on it, worst case will be to brut force it off one way or another. The rear pads need to be changed badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When you refit it, make sure that its well covered in anti-seize paste or the same thing will happen again.
    Try a small sharp cold chisel on an edge and maybe buy a couple of new ones as a backup plan.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    When you refit it, make sure that its well covered in anti-seize paste or the same thing will happen again.
    Try a small sharp cold chisel on an edge and maybe buy a couple of new ones as a backup plan.

Legend. Dunno why I didn't try it last night. Few taps on the side and it moved right away!

All done now! :pac:

Sparks, Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Chain, Sprockets, Back Breaks, Clutch Cable and back tyre.

Save up some more cash and will work on front, have front pads there but would rather wait till the back pads are more established before changing front.

Thanks all for all the help, overall not a bad job to do by yourself, little bit fiddly but easily manageable if you take your time doing it. If you do, take it easy with the chain tool, it's pretty easy to break it if you apply to much force.

Oh and if you ever see them measuring calipers in Lidl, I would pick one up if you plan on doing a chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nice to see someone having a go...too many "bikers" these days won't get their nails dirty..you've saved yourself a few hundred quid AND learned some things...fair play...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just only thing, bikes aren't like cars in that it's not a good idea to have different makes of tyres front and back. Can mess up your handling and grip to dangerous levels.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Just only thing, bikes aren't like cars in that it's not a good idea to have different makes of tyres front and back. Can mess up your handling and grip to dangerous levels.

Old wives tale.....unless youre Marquez...:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Old wives tale.....unless youre Marquez...

Well you feel free to mix and match all you want ;)

Well you feel free to mix and match all you want ;)

Over 40 years experience.....never an issue.....H&S gone mad....:P

Only thing you need to get right is the sizes..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I've run different carcass types front and rear never mind makes. Was not a problem.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement