Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if Derby was the capital of England and the UK?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

=odyssey06;108046306]Athlone was the location for Ireland's Cold War nuclear bunker, so yeah, if Dublin was gone, it'd be the capital!

You'd imagine one of the few pluses of a nuclear holocaust would be that Athlone would be wiped off the face of the planet...not elevate it to Capital!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Athlone was the location for Ireland's Cold War nuclear bunker, so yeah, if Dublin was gone, it'd be the capital!

You'd imagine one of the few pluses of a nuclear holocaust would be that Athlone would be wiped off the face of the planet...not elevate it to Capital!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guess if you are in to your rams, Derby is where you can find some action

Pity Brian Clough is no longer around - could have been an interesting PM, although he may have been more drawn to Head of State status. King Brian certainly has a ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

road_high wrote: »
    =odyssey06;108046306]Athlone was the location for Ireland's Cold War nuclear bunker, so yeah, if Dublin was gone, it'd be the capital!

They still are rebuilding after the last bombing so forgive the state of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

odyssey06 wrote: »

Winchester was the Anglo-Saxon capital, so no idea where this Derby idea came from!

duh, the first post. like obvs!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The people of Coventry would be up in arms asking why they aren't the new capital of England.

Cobblers!

I think Northampton would have a better claim, but for the fact it's not a city and would have to be the Capital Town of the UK....:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

We'd give an equal amount of f***s as we do about London being their current capital

No we wouldnt. London is one of the greatest cities in the world. Derby is a pissbox.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What if the UK government left London and headed north to the most central city in the UK?

Let's ask the Ordnance Survey shall we ?
    the centre point calculated by OS is in the middle of Morecambe Bay, at map coordinates 341575 466760.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No we wouldnt. London is one of the greatest cities in the world. Derby is a pissbox.

The parliament of the U.K. doesn’t sit in the City of London, it sits in the City of Westminster as it generally has for 800 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Marcusm wrote: »
    The parliament of the U.K. doesn’t sit in the City of London, it sits in the City of Westminster as it generally has for 800 years.

Which is in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm from Derbyshire. Derby (the city) is a dirty slime hole, full of junkies and prostitutes. Tory MPs would fit right in.

Derbyshire (the county) is beautiful.

My preference would be for an independent northern England, starting just north of Derby city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Which is in London.

Greater London. Westminster is so called because it is immediately west of London City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It would be like asking the Irish Government to move to Athlone. Its not going to happen.

Why not. Athlone has so much going for it! Waterpark, cinema you name it.

I'm from Derbyshire. Derby (the city) is a dirty slime hole, full of junkies and prostitutes. Tory MPs would fit right in.

Derbyshire (the county) is beautiful.

My preference would be for an independent northern England, starting just north of Derby city.

I'm from London and 100% agree with you, although i would move the border down to Milton Keynes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Aegir wrote: »
    I'm from London and 100% agree with you, although i would move the border down to Milton Keynes :D

Moving anywhere near MK would be a bad idea, 450 roundabouts don't really suffice as a border wall

Random fact: 90s one hit wonders White Town were from Derby.

As were LostAlone and The Beekeepers (the latter of whom broadcaster/journalist Jamie East was the lead singer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've heard Cardiff was being considered for capital .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TheShockmaster

What if the UK government left London and headed north to the most central city in the UK?

I'd imagine the UK would be in many more wars. We lived in Derby for a year. Dump of a place with a very aggressive population. My wife has a theory they are insecure about being too northern for southerners and too southern for northerners. Their confusion leads to aggression and over sensitivity.

Also I'd imagine London would become some sort of post apocalyptic nightmare without its capital status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Derby is a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Are ppl seriously taking this question seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I wouldn't be saying that too loud
    around Nottingham ;)

Good morning, the weather in Derby is 9 degrees and mostly sunny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Greater London. Westminster is so called because it is immediately west of London City.

Greater London is technically a county which consists of 32 boroughs but does not include the City of London! Confusingly, the term is also used to include the city for many purpises!

These guys are from Derby as well

Poor old Man U eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It would be like asking the Irish Government to move to Athlone. Its not going to happen.

Id love if that happened actually.

Some thinking outside of the box would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Id love if that happened actually.

Some thinking outside of the box would be welcome

Limerick for the diplomatic capital. Athlone for administration. Derry for courts. Sligo for Parliament.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This from the Brexit discussion thread IV explains why Derby won't be the capital.
    murphaph wrote: »
    On a related note, I did my German language proficiency exam this morning so I can naturalise here. I'm just doing it to be better integrated, so I can vote in federal elections etc. but there were 3 Brits from the 9 of us in the exam all there because of Brexit. The two men work for Rolls Royce here in Brandenburg and they told me Rolls is moving the certification stuff for large engines over from Derby right now. They are very concerned. They also reckon Rolls and Airbus will move entire production lines at short notice. They also noted how stupid the people of Derby are in voting the way they did. These guys are safe. They work in a plant likely to see more work and they have been here over 20 years so entitled to naturalise as a formality.

How can you have a capital city where they all call you "duck"? Seriously??

Was in Derby on Monday and at Old Trafford on Tuesday - over my dead body will Derby be the capital. They had their glories in the 70s - it ain't going to happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Beasty wrote: »
    How can you have a capital city where they all call you "duck"? Seriously??

Was in Derby on Monday and at Old Trafford on Tuesday - over my dead body will Derby be the capital. They had their glories in the 70s - it ain't going to happen again.

:D

I call my children and my GF "duck" out of habit. I forget how weird it sounds to anyone that wasn't brought up in Derbyshire.

Advertisement