Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly people on public transport

Options
  • 10-09-2018 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I travel by train during rush hour every day and am continually subjected to folks who have a total disregard for their own personal hygiene.

I'm often wedged below someone's smelly armpit, or stuck staring at the back of someone's dandruffed head, aghast at how these people get through the day with the offensive odour radiating off them.

The split is 50:50 men:women as far as my observations go, but the worst offenders are often backpackers, students, stuffy suited overweight men (who often reek of alcohol on my evening commutes)

It's alarming to me that many of these people are wearing wedding rings, why would you let your partner out the door smelling like a public toilet or someone who has just run a marathon or has a serious case of the garlic sweats?

Now I'm sure I have my off days too, but I shower every morning, wear deodorant, pack hand sanitisers and would be absolutely mortified if I ever smelt so bad that I actively put fellow commuters off their breakfast.

What gives? Has anyone else experienced this? Why is the general public so goddamn smelly??

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

People don’t shower every day, dirty cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Get a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

verycool wrote: »
    Get a car.

Great idea! Sorted! Thanks for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Great idea! Sorted! Thanks for that one.

...or a blog.

Whichever is cheaper.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Jimmy. wrote: »
    People don’t shower every day, dirty cnuts.

The dirty cnuts are the ones that have to shower 2-3 times a day WTF are they doing to get so dirty?

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    The dirty cnuts are the ones that have to shower 2-3 times a day WTF are they doing to get so dirty?

Riding your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I travel by train during rush hour every day and am continually subjected to folks who have a total disregard for their own personal hygiene.

I'm often wedged below someone's smelly armpit, or stuck staring at the back of someone's dandruffed head, aghast at how these people get through the day with the offensive odour radiating off them.

The split is 50:50 men:women as far as my observations go, but the worst offenders are often backpackers, students, stuffy suited overweight men (who often reek of alcohol on my evening commutes)

It's alarming to me that many of these people are wearing wedding rings, why would you let your partner out the door smelling like a public toilet or someone who has just run a marathon or has a serious case of the garlic sweats?

Now I'm sure I have my off days too, but I shower every morning, wear deodorant, pack hand sanitisers and would be absolutely mortified if I ever smelt so bad that I actively put fellow commuters off their breakfast.

What gives? Has anyone else experienced this? Why is the general public so goddamn smelly??

Why do you keep sniffing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Going to the gym?

And of course, riding your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I arrived in Dublin airport last week, having just taken two international flights (on which I'd worn my hoodie to try contain any BO from racing around carrying luggage), checked the bus to Galway, saw that it was pretty empty, so grabbed a seat away from anyone else, doffed the hoodie for some relief from the heat, and took out my laptop to catch up on some work, daydreaming about the nice bath I was going to have when I got home.

Then we made the pick-up in Dublin and the bus was wedged. I felt so sorry for the lady that sat down beside me. After having quickly shoved my bags under my feet (I couldn't put them in the hold) as she approached, I didn't have time to put on the hoodie for fear of poisoning her, so I spent the threeish hours hunched up with my arms pinned against my sides to minimise any air current, laptop unused in front of me.

I debated apologising to her, but then figured that probably couldn't help the situation..

So if you're reading, lady from the bus, I do apologise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find people's overuse of perfume/aftershave and heavily scented hair products just as offensive as BO.
    This seems to be more socially acceptable, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Ficheall wrote: »
    I arrived in Dublin airport last week, having just taken two international flights (on which I'd worn my hoodie to try contain any BO from racing around carrying luggage), checked the bus to Galway, saw that it was pretty empty, so grabbed a seat away from anyone else, doffed the hoodie for some relief from the heat, and took out my laptop to catch up on some work, daydreaming about the nice bath I was going to have when I got home.

Then we made the pick-up in Dublin and the bus was wedged. I felt so sorry for the lady that sat down beside me. After having quickly shoved my bags under my feet (I couldn't put them in the hold) as she approached, I didn't have time to put on the hoodie for fear of poisoning her, so I spent the threeish hours hunched up with my arms pinned against my sides to minimise any air current, laptop unused in front of me.

I debated apologising to her, but then figured that probably couldn't help the situation..

So if you're reading, lady from the bus, I do apologise :(

Did you not have deodorant in your bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Sitting beside a heavy smoker on the bus can be pretty unpleasant too. The reek of stale cigarettes makes me want to gag sometimes.

I find people's overuse of perfume/aftershave and heavily scented hair products just as offensive as BO.
    This seems to be more socially acceptable, though.

I really don't, I love the smell of perfume / aftershave. Even if it's lynx Africa it's still a million times better than the stale BO mixed with dirty clothes smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I get the bus everyday and don't seem to encounter it as much as you. there is one guy though, always smells badly. But he's a young lad and seems to have a skin condition so it might just be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Oh God. I got on the bus on Friday after work. Some guy got on at the next stop and sat the other side of the bus, same row. The smell of sweat was unbearable. I had to open all the windows around me. God help the woman who ended up next to him as the bus filled up. He looked normal and clean, wearing a shirt etc. You wouldn't think to look at him but he either hadn't showered in days or has a medical problem.

But often they do go 'nose blind'. Worked in retail and a woman who stank of urine came in every day. One manager went up in my estimation when he told her there was an odour and she won't be allowed in again while it persists. She insisted there was no odour. Staff used to have to follow her around spraying air freshener behind her as it lingered for so long and customers were complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some people just seem to be prone to it, not their fault really. Everyones body is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Some people just seem to be prone to it, not their fault really. Everyones body is different.
    It does also depend on what people eat. I sweat all day every day tried everything nothing works. I know I don't smell though. Some people maybe don't use deodorant or maybe use the wrong one. It's a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It does also depend on what people eat. I sweat all day every day tried everything nothing works. I know I don't smell though. Some people maybe don't use deodorant or maybe use the wrong one. It's a combination.

Fresh sweat doesn't have a bad odor. Stale sweat does.

It's when people wear the same shirt or top the next day and/or don't wash themselves

It does also depend on what people eat.

One of the absolute worst smells has got to be garlic sweats, I will physically recoil it's so offensive. And astonishingly common, especially on public transport. This is why a daily shower is fcuking vital.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm a regular bus/Luas user and it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. When I started taking the bus back in the mid/late 1980s in school there would always be a few people - usually men - with a bang of drink, stale clothing and BO off them.

People bathe more frequently now and it's nowhere near as bad. You still get the odd stinker on busses but compared to 25, 30 years ago its' much better.

• Advertisement

I stopped going to a supermarket I liked because a member of staff there had the stalest, most acrid BO I've ever been unfortunate enough to smell. It lingered over most of the shop and there was no escape. I don't know how it was allowed continue because I'm sure I'm not the only one put off.

There's just no excuse for it. If I had no hot water or shower I'd still be able to clean myself thoroughly and make sure I wasn't leaving a trail of BO behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Smelly people on public transit are the worst. I don't care if the person sitting next to me is white, black, purple, thin, fat, loud quiet - if they smell good, I don't want them to ever leave. Or at least, stay on until I get off the bus/train. But smelly people - there's nothing you can do. If I'm next to a loud person, I have headphones. If I'm next to a large person, we can cuddle (especially if it's cold) and they often block the sunlight from getting into my eyes, which I appreciate. Smelly, you can't escape from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The stale cheese fanny/penis smell is the worst. If they are too lazy shower use febreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Carry some really strong breath mints for this purpose.

I've noticed strong mint or menthol sweets have a good ability to overpower or at the very least reduce the impact of foul smells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Put a smelly sock in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

My brother showers every day....sometimes twice....but the smell of his feet would knock you out....you can smell it all through the house when he takes his shoes off.
    Its obviously some sort if fungal infection but nothing he has tried has worked.
    Im sure if somebody was up close and personal with him theyd get it regardless of his shoes being on

He probably just turns on the shower and sit on the toilet playing video games. Lazy fcuker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

368100 wrote: »
    My brother showers every day....sometimes twice....but the smell of his feet would knock you out....you can smell it all through the house when he takes his shoes off.
    Its obviously some sort if fungal infection but nothing he has tried has worked.
    Im sure if somebody was up close and personal with him theyd get it regardless of his shoes being on
    It was a long time ago but mine used to. I got these purple tablets from the chemist (dont ask me to remember the name). Warm water melt the tablets and soak the feet. Did it daily for 2 weeks and they haven't been a problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

I bring one of those vick nasal inhalers for smelly bus journeys. Lash it on if i end up beside a stinker. Works a treat.

Advertisement