Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with guy going making motor claim against me - advice wanted

Options
  • 10-09-2018 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

hi all,

im in a bit of a situation with a guy and insurance.

a couple of weeks ago i was driving along a main road a guy was behind me following very closely for a couple of miles then he started flashing me like a lunatic and i pulled over and he said something came off my car and damaged his bumper, he pointed to the middle of his bumper and there was a chunk missing but i also noticed his bumper on the d/s was cracked nearly all the way down to the bottom, he also said his car lifted up off the ground? then he said look its grand look i dont want the gards rang or insurance informed he was adamant about that and got into his car and drove maybe 100 yards down the road pulled in and looked under his car from the driver side door, i was standing dumbfounded beside my car and my friend said the guy was smoking a joint while talking to me anyway he drove back down to where i was pulled in and said my car is vibrating mad my gearbox mounts are gone if you could get me two of them second hand or what ever that be grand its a 530d 300bhp. and got into his car and drove off rapid. he didnt ask for a name or number,

so two days passed and i got a message on fb saying well from the guy, i reply whats the story, he said his bumper gearbox mounts, engine mounts radiator and sump are all damaged and his car is undrivable he wants 300 euro i told him no way that its impossible and he got quite agressive and threatening and i just ignored him at that point and was told he was seen driving around the day after the incident but the day after that the car was undriveable.

so a few weeks go by and i get a phone call from a garda station and the gard told me that a complaint or accident report has been lodged and i have to produce my licence and insurance in a garda station and its unlawful to not comply and that the guy is saying there was 500 worth of damage to his car and that he wants to claim off my insurance as he was getting no where with me for the cash.

i did some looking into the guy and saw a for sale add with his car in it and it read something like 300bhp coilovers lsd cheap tax and insurance does that mean his car is modified? since when do 3 liter cars have cheap tax and insurance?

anyway when i produced my insurace i had a chat with a garda and he this happens alot and the guy is trying to bleed you for money and to ring your insurance and inform them of all this and let them deal with it.

i dont know what to do, it gone from two parts for about 40e to 300e to 500e im afraid my insurance company will payout as ive read a few horror storys about this sort of thing and the person being claimed against not hearing about it until after its been paid out and getting no say in it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How did he manage to contact you on Facebook when he didn't have your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

How did he manage to contact you on Facebook when he didn't have your name?

my gf lives very close to him and he asked one of her friends thats how he got my name, the friend then rang my gf and informed her that the guy was looking for me, i actually asked him for his name at the roadside but he didnt ask for mine

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Report him like the Garda said, sounds like fraud https://www.insuranceconfidential.ie/ then talk(phone or in person) to your insurance company. See will your friend support your story and offer it to the insurance company or anyone willing to take him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

my gf lives very close to him and he asked one of her friends thats how he got my name, the friend then rang my gf and informed her that the guy was looking for me, i actually asked him for his name at the roadside but he didnt ask for mine

How would he know who your gf was if she wasn't in the car with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you check if anything did come off your car? If it did you owe him for the damage, if nothing came off he's trying scam you

• Advertisement

How would he know who your gf was if she wasn't in the car with you?

my car would be parked in the locality quite often? small community everybidy knows everyone, she wasnt in the car with me

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you check if anything did come off your car? If it did you owe him for the damage, if nothing came off he's trying scam you

theres nothing missing from my car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Advise your insurance company exactly as you have posted here and do not engage further with this chancer. Take as many photos of your car that you can to show it is fully intact in case he alleges a specific part has come off your car. Also, be careful where you park it up. If, as you say, everyone knows everyone in your area, a part could suddenly be missing from your car, only to have been mysteriously found later at the scene

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭raxy

theres nothing missing from my car

Even if something had of come off your car you wouldn't be responsible for any damage to his. He was behind you, he should have been driving a safe distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

One thing though is don't let your insurance deal with it without a fight if you can. They'll just settle and screw you for it down the road whether he's right or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Do not engage with this guy anymore, when contacting your insurance, be firm and tell them you are not liable, nothing is missing from your car and you are not responsible for any damages allegedly caused to this guy's car, all these calls are recorded so at least you will have it on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You mean they'll have it on record.

Write to them. Don't trust them to act in your best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

raxy wrote: »
    Even if something had of come off your car you wouldn't be responsible for any damage to his. He was behind you, he should have been driving a safe distance.

If something falls off a vehicle its 100% the operators responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You could have driven on a loose chipping. Maybe that's what he saw.

Unless he has the part that supposedly came off your car or dash cam footage of it coming off I don't see what the big deal is.

I can't see your insurance paying a penny without proof.

Patww79 wrote: »
    One thing though is don't let your insurance deal with it without a fight if you can. They'll just settle and screw you for it down the road whether he's right or not.

You have absolutely no control of this.

Best OP can do is tell everything that happened. After that insurance will do as they see fit. It's a small claim so OP can pay back insurance & keep bonus or op may have a bonus protection where the first few thousand does't effect the bonus.

Based on info provided so far I can't see insurance entertaining this one bit

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You have absolutely no control of this.

Best OP can do is tell everything that happened. After that insurance will do as they see fit. It's a small claim so OP can pay back insurance & keep bonus or op may have a bonus protection where the first few thousand does't effect the bonus.

Based on info provided so far I can't see insurance entertaining this one bit

Insurance just pay now regardless of what happened because they're afforded an unregulated free run at recouping it from their customers via huge premium increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What kind of an impact is required to break gearbox and engine mounts? Did you run the guy off the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What kind of an impact is required to break gearbox and engine mounts? Did you run the guy off the road...

If I had to guess I'd say that whatever it is that OP did (or didn't do) has no relation whatsoever to whatever damage there may or may not be to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

he said his bumper gearbox mounts, engine mounts radiator and sump are all damaged and his car is undrivable he wants 300 euro

And he's planning to have this all sorted for 300 or 500 euro....

totally legit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

A load of pony OP, if nothing came off your car and he has no proof forget about it. Seems he is trying to pull a fast one on you. Sounds like a bit of a bully.

• Advertisement

Insurance just pay now regardless of what happened because they're afforded an unregulated free run at recouping it from their customers via huge premium increases.

Rubbish and, deep down, you know that yourself.

i dont know but what would have to come off my car the axel? if his radiator was broken i assume there would have been coolant leaking or steam escaping from his car? and his sump would leave oil where he was stopped?

Rubbish and, deep down, you know that yourself.

Naive much?

Naive much?

The general consensus here is that insurers do everything to get out of paying claims. Why would they bother with that if, as you say, they just recoup it from you later on?

Insurers pay their own policyholders if the incident is covered and there has been no breach of policy conditions and they pay 3rd parties if there is no other option

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's a whiff of something here......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I can't see your insurance paying a penny without proof.

I dunno: for a 'small claim' they'll probably cough up and FU OP's NCB without a moments thought.

Do not let them settle it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    I dunno: for a 'small claim' they'll probably cough up and FU OP's NCB without a moments thought.

It actually works the comple opposite. The more money they pay out willi nilli the more bogus claims that go in.

I think you will find them quite robust against bogus claims

does anyone know what details of the insurance claim in entitled to? because i asked what is being claimed for and how much he didnt tell me

does anyone know what details of the insurance claim in entitled to? because i asked what is being claimed for and how much he didnt tell me

Under Consumer Protection, your insurer is obliged to tell you when liability is established, when a payment is made and when the claim is settled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Why are you still dealing with this guy?

Advertisement