Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Irish presidential candidates?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kevin sharkey's most recent one (that i've seen, there's probably been more since) is to call for the death penalty for criminals who attack old people in their homes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looking at the current line up, I'm not hugely inspired by any of them. As is often the case these days, it seems to be a matter of voting for the least weak candidate. Gemma O’Doherty maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

smacl wrote: »
    Looking at the current line up, I'm not hugely inspired by any of them. As is often the case these days, it seems to be a matter of voting for the least weak candidate. Gemma O’Doherty maybe?

Ugh, don't encourage her. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

kevin sharkey's most recent one (that i've seen, there's probably been more since) is to call for the death penalty for criminals who attack old people in their homes.

Sure what's violating the constitution and ECHR between friends.

JF is a looney tune also, she just hides it better most of the time. There was a video floating around where she said on stage at some religious conference she'd appointed "god" as the Pieta House CFO... wonder what the charities regulator would make of that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

lazygal wrote: »
    Ugh, don't encourage her. :mad:

I honestly know nothing about her. I'm guessing she doesn't qualify for least worst then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There should be the death penalty for a few things tbh
    (rape, murder, child abuse)

ELM327 wrote: »
    There should be the death penalty for a few things tbh
    (rape, murder, child abuse)

Ah here, the clergy are struggling hard enough to keep their numbers up already :pac:

As is often the case these days, it seems to be a matter of voting for the least weak candidate. Gemma O’Doherty maybe?

Have you read any of her tweets at all?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I honestly know nothing about her. I'm guessing she doesn't qualify for least worst then?

She said the state had Veronica Guerin murdered and Tony Blair was somehow involved with the Madeleine McCann case.

She's also managed to alienate (and anger, and hurt) the relatives of Mary Boyle who disappeared in the 1970s. GOD's "campaigns" are all about her. She told the relatives that only people anointed by GOD were allowed use the #MaryBoyle hashtag and started bad-mouthing a cousin who wouldn't comply and spread nasty rumours about him. She's flat out nuts.

• Advertisement

She's also managed to alienate (and anger, and hurt) the relatives of Mary Boyle who disappeared in the 1970s. GOD's "campaigns" are all about her. She told the relatives that only people anointed by GOD were allowed use the #MaryBoyle hashtag and started bad-mouthing a cousin who wouldn't comply and spread nasty rumours about him. She's flat out nuts.

Did the same to relatives of a murdered priest, Fr Molloy.

Just search for #SueMeGemma on Twitter :rolleyes:

Ok, so not Gemma O’Doherty then. Anyone else in the line up that anyone here has anything good to say about? For me Trump supporters and God botherers get binned immediately, and 'Dragon's Den' celeb's seem a little too close to ex 'The Apprentice' hosts for my liking. Bilbo for a second term?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only person miggeldy has to worry about is sean gallagher. and i wouldn't vote for gallagher if you put a gun to my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

http://www.thejournal.ie/gavin-duffy-4204494-Aug2018/
    Duffy is a terrible nice fella, he deserves it.

Apart from him, there is the woman who does a very entertaining Marilyn Monroe impression, and the ghost of a lad called Delaney who died in a residential institution in 1970. Either of which would be nearly as good.

the only person miggeldy has to worry about is sean gallagher. and i wouldn't vote for gallagher if you put a gun to my head.

Same and also goes for some random last minute shinner where that gun is a distinct possibility ;)

some random last minute shinner
    A "carefully selected" shinner I think. Apparently they are scouring the ranks for a disabled lesbian, or someone with equivalent appeal.

The incumbent is still in with a good chance, but if wee Michael is unable to reach the required quota it will be a sad day for Cuba .

recedite wrote: »
    Duffy is a terrible nice fella, he deserves it.
    in the words of clint eastwood, deservin' ain't got nothin' to do with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

lazygal wrote: »
    Like Joan Freeman?
    News of Ms Freeman has reached the Irish Times:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/presidential-election-joan-freeman-s-no-vote-and-knock-cure-1.3623538

Must have been some eczema indeed if she's still dining out on the story 40 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

As a pointless job the only criteria for me is less state expenses. I went for our current El Presidente last time as he was the oldest and therefore as far as I understand, the one most likely to draw less of a presidential pension and whatever perks over time and this time it's doubly so as the less presidents we elect the less money they sponge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pardon my total ignorance why do these people want to be President? And why on earth do the councils nominate them? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

+1 on the thread title OP, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Something should be put into the constitution that people must be alive to run for office.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Something should be put into the constitution that people must be alive to run for office.
    A bit like the US presidents being required, by precedent, to release their tax returns - Agent Orange notwithstanding of course, since he doesn't pay taxes - it would be interesting if politicians generally took exams before elections on law, civil society, sociology, economics, geography, climatology, history and so on - and the results were published.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I went for our current El Presidente last time as he was the oldest and therefore as far as I understand, the one most likely to draw less of a presidential pension and whatever perks over time and this time it's doubly so as the less presidents we elect the less money they sponge.
    This is the best argument so far. There can't be more than 5 or 6 years pension in him by the end of the next term, if he even lasts it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robindch wrote: »
    A bit like the US presidents being required, by precedent, to release their tax returns - Agent Orange notwithstanding of course, since he doesn't pay taxes - it would be interesting if politicians generally took exams before elections on law, civil society, sociology, economics, geography, climatology, history and so on - and the results were published.

But if we did that it would clearly be a government cover up because the results would be fixed and apparently if you knew this you'd know too much and the government would kill you.

So I heard from one of the people wanting to be president.

We're through the looking glass here people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As far as I can see this will be a two horse race between Michael D and Sean Gallagher.
    For me Michael D has done a decent job for the little there really is in it.

I see nothing in Sean at all, if he had a graw for making changes in the country he should run for TD and get himself into government, but he’d never be voted in. He’s still a stained character from his brown envelope gaff, he stumbled over it so poorly that there is enough doubt that he actually did handle this brown envelope. It even shows that he’s no good to be speaking in pressured situations if he couldn’t vehemently speak his version of the truth, he looked and sounded like a man caught out and having to make up a lie on the spot.
    He’s just out spending RTmoney massaging his ego and when he looses he will still blame RTfor it.

as has been pointed out - if sean gallagher has been entertaining notions of running for president again for the last seven years (as he clearly has been) - what groundwork has he done in the last seven years to prepare? being a dragon does not count.

FF groundwork it seems.

• Advertisement

Ms Burke, who also goes by the alias Bunty Twuntingdon-McFluff, introduced herself as a PR executive and laid out plans to turn Áras an Uachtaráin into a “hunting lodge and spa” where “wealthy guests would pay top dollar to hunt the deer in the Phoenix Park”.
    Ms Burke also proposed introducing a reality TV show called ‘In Your Áras’ which would follow the daily life of the president.

Addressing the cathaoirleach, Lord Mayor Nial Ring, Councillor Mannix Flynn interrupted Ms Burke’s presentation, which he described as “outrageous” and “deeply offensive” .
    Ms Goretti Moylan, who will begin a degree in law next week, called for the museum shop to be removed so that the remains of a dinosaur could be displayed in the Dublin museum.
    In relation to the “housing thing”, Mr Groarke said the Government should take note of the “beautiful houses” built by the Amish communities in the United States. “They don’t have much furniture but they have beautiful houses. We should talk to them and see how they do it.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-city-council-votes-not-to-endorse-candidate-as-%C3%A1ras-race-turns-farcical-1.3628498

Advertisement