Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is RTE so biased?

Options
  • 06-09-2018 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

It really is incredibly biased. One example is on the front page the website this morning

"White House officials alarmed by Trump's 'erratic' and 'amoral' behaviour" - https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0905/991913-trump-new-york-times/

I was reading this and it occurred to me, surely these senior members are treasonous? Why isn't RTE reporting it as "Treason in White House".

There's bias every day on RTE, don't get me talking on how they report on certain political parties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There seems to be an agenda since "President" Hillary lost the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Where's the bias? They're reporting using quotes and without their own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Because no one EVER holds RTÉ to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Collie D wrote: »

But as their primary story today, what next will they quote The Weekly World News when they report a story the Titanic has just docked in New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is Dee Forbes still on the board of directors of INM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The name their source at the bottom of the article, the issue isn't with RTE it's with Source: AFP/Reuters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

JMNolan wrote: »
    It really is incredibly biased. One example is on the front page the website this morning

"White House officials alarmed by Trump's 'erratic' and 'amoral' behaviour" - https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0905/991913-trump-new-york-times/

I was reading this and it occurred to me, surely these senior members are treasonous? Why isn't RTE reporting it as "Treason in White House".

There's bias every day on RTE, don't get me talking on how they report on certain political parties.

Also the main story on BBC website.
    And how are these sources being treasonous? Many would see them as patriots protecting their country from a dangerous probable treacherous lunatic.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is Dee Forbes still on the board of directors of INM?

No, and she has been!
    She was however at one point a non-executive director of the board of The Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Their hiring policy back in the 70's\80's was almost entirely composed of student-union, shinner-supporting pinkos.

It's a desperately biased place - I would never use it as a news-source.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In a democracy it isn't treasonous to point out flaws in a leader. If that were the case Leo would have half of AH on the gallows.

I'd find Trump's tweet in that article more anti American. Demanding a journalist hand over his sources to government sounds very dictatorial

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1037485664433070080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1037485664433070080%7Ctwgr%5E373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2018%2F0905%2F991913-trump-new-york-times%2F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

GAA very silent on RTE bias

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't see any bias in that story. It just is what it is.
    But as their primary story today, what next will they quote The Weekly World News when they report a story the Titanic has just docked in New York?

What's wrong with Reuters?

You do understand that every newsroom in the world doesn't have a team of hundreds of roving reporters covering the globe and have to use reliable network sources?

I don't think RTE is particularly biased at all. Something like The Independent is a better example of blatant bias.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Expressing an opinion isn't treason. That shouldn't need to be pointed out but we are living in the age of histrionics and identity politics I suppose.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The news on RTE does not conform to my bias/ my love of trump so it's obviously biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

mariaalice wrote: »
    The news on RTE does not conform to my bias/ my love of trump so it's obviously biased.

When what you watch is so far to one side, everything else seem biased. I remember in the water threads there were people on the extremes of both sides of the political spectrum arguing bias against them. And when the news sources you are so use to are so often proven blatantly false it makes it harder not to assume other news sources are of the same standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

With RTE's one-sided reporting of the Margaret Cash fiasco, with their obvious support of unsustainable economic migration to Ireland from outside the EU, with their constant focus on the homeless "crisis" (a topic being perpetuated by RTE, which keeps a non-existent "crisis" in the news), with their fervent bias towards ultra-liberal constructs that have no basis in reality, with their unequal positive portrayal of parties like Sinn Fein and other anti-worker parties; RTE has repeatedly shown how biased it can be.

Most of the bias by RTE is against Irish workers and citizens who positively contribute to our society; ordinary people who have to pay for the fanciful notions that the quango is extolling ......... claiming them to be the majority view of the Irish public, which is indeed not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Kivaro wrote: »
    With RTE's one-sided reporting of the Margaret Cash fiasco, with their obvious support of unsustainable economic migration to Ireland from outside the EU, with their constant focus on the homeless "crisis" (a topic being perpetuated by RTE, which keeps a non-existent "crisis" in the news), with their fervent bias towards ultra-liberal constructs that have no basis in reality, with their unequal positive portrayal of parties like Sinn Fein and other anti-worker parties; RTE has repeatedly shown how biased it can be.

Most of the bias by RTE is against Irish workers and citizens who positively contribute to our society; ordinary people who have to pay for the fanciful notions that the quango is extolling ......... claiming them to be the majority view of the Irish public, which is indeed not the case.

Have you got any concrete example that you can point to?

It's the 24-hour news cycle they have to have something on.

I find the news reporting on RTE more peculiar than anything else often it's not news, reporting on a dance class for homeless people and the like they do not belong on the main evening news program.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They must have completely missed those people being charged and found guilty of treason.

Better go tell them OP so they can correct the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Loyalty to the nation as opposed to the leader.

Is that treason? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Because writing bad things about Trump gets clicks and is what "the people" want to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RTE are scum, look at their headlines about Israel.

"Israeli soldiers kill palestinian teenager"

When you go into details the 19 year old terrorist attacked the soldiers with a butcher knife and the soldiers rightly so shot him in defence.
    Of course most people just read the headline so the bias and anti semitic hatred they peddle is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

430,000 of the people tune in to Morning Ireland. They love this sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

It must be a sad life thinking anything that doesn't conform exactly to your world view is biased against you.

When you go into details the 19 year old terrorist attacked the soldiers with a butcher knife and the soldiers rightly so shot him in defence.
    Of course most people just read the headline so the bias and anti semitic hatred they peddle is set.

Disgust at the crimes against humanity being carried out daily by the state of Israel does not equate to anti antisemitism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

The media have been using the "anonymous sources" bit religiously since Trump took office. It reeks of "we're making **** up" after awhile.

Too bad RTE doesn't scrutinize the Irish Govt with the same intensity as they do Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

In a democracy it isn't treasonous to point out flaws in a leader. If that were the case Leo would have half of AH on the gallows.

I'd find Trump's tweet in that article more anti American. Demanding a journalist hand over his sources to government sounds very dictatorial

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1037485664433070080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1037485664433070080%7Ctwgr%5E373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fnews%2F2018%2F0905%2F991913-trump-new-york-times%2F

Yes but The Donald called it treason so it must be treason.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

It's always a pity that Israel uses white phosphorus on the Palestinians, but not on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Not just RTE the entire MSM is biased you now have to go to online sources to get a through picture of anything be that housing, homelessness, immigration, the MSM = lamestream media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

When you took Trump seriously, it’s hard to back down. Hence you get nonsense like the deep state and qanon.
    The hard core ( not people who just didn’t like Hillary or voted along party lines), who actually think he is a rational human being, are little better than a cult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Ipso wrote: »

When you took Trump seriously, it’s hard to back down. Hence you get nonsense like the deep state and qanon.
    The hard core ( not people who just didn’t like Hillary or voted along party lines), who actually think he is a rational human being, are little better than a cult.
    What about those who supported Hillary i suppose they must all be saints are they.

Advertisement