Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where could I buy a 3 bed detached home in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

We just went sale agreed on a brand new 4 bed detached house for 240K in Finglas. It was built on to existing land of another property but it it's own detached house now with large front garden.

Still in shock tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If public transport or amenities are not important.
    You would get a lovely 4 bed in Hollystown within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

kceire wrote: »
    Every new development in the county will have 10% social housing integrated into the development.

So lets say a new housing development in Howth has to have 10% social housing? or could a developer supply lets say extra social housing in Balgriffin to offset the amount the social housing allocation they are meant to provide in a more profitable area like Howth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

baldbear wrote: »
    Every new development in the county will have 10% social housing integrated into the development.

So lets say a new housing development in Howth has to have 10% social housing? or could a developer supply lets say extra social housing in Balgriffin to offset the amount the social housing allocation they are meant to provide in a more profitable area like Howth?

No, that would fail to address the situation of social housing all being concentrated.
    the point is to distribute the social housing. If developers could allocate it somewhere else, this stops being a solution as now all developers will put all social housing on on the cheapest site available. It would be come a giant social housing project, even worse than what this is trying to prevent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

kevincool wrote: »
    Here we go.... I am researching for months now. Came here to find out about any new places which i DONT KNOW where they are building 3 bed detached houses.

Builders rarely build 3 bed detached.

Detached usually start with four bedrooms.

3 bed semi is your market with that budget

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Here we go.... I am researching for months now. Came here to find out about any new places which i DONT KNOW where they are building 3 bed detached houses.

3 bed detached is just one of a list of criteria that make this search fruitless.

-not wanting to share a roof.
    - 3 bed detached.
    - new build.
    -in dublin.
    -no social housing.
    -all for less than 420k.

If it exists, which is doubtful, it's in an area surrounded by social housing where the op wouldn't consider anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The offsets and buyouts are not allowed anymore. So yes, there'll be social housing % on the Techcrete and Baily sites in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

In this case it was 20%. 10% of beechwood+ 10% of barnwell, all in barnwell.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    No, that would fail to address the situation of social housing all being concentrated.
    the point is to distribute the social housing. If developers could allocate it somewhere else, this stops being a solution as now all developers will put all social housing on on the cheapest site available. It would be come a giant social housing project, even worse than what this is trying to prevent.

Solution is to educate people so that they can find jobs to pay their rents rather than depend on government.

i found 3 bed detached in muielann, kinsealy, malahide for 360K but the front door was west or south facing which does not meet my requirement.

im ok to spend up until 470k if i find the right house.

• Advertisement

Solution is to educate people so that they can find jobs to pay their rents rather than depend on government.

That may be "a" solution for some but it's not what the government are focusing on. Wish for it as you might, it's not the current policy. Current policy is to distribute social housing so it doesn't become concentrated.

Secondly, Many people in social housing have jobs and pay their rents. So get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

In this case it was 20%. 10% of beechwood+ 10% of barnwell, all in barnwell.

What do you mean all in Barnwell?

kevincool wrote:

i found 3 bed detached in muielann, kinsealy, malahide for 360K but the front door was west or south facing which does not meet my requirement.

You actually found the needle in the haystack, and added more criteria.

Do you really want a house?
    A house, particularly in dublin a compeomise between what you want, what's available and what you can afford.

All 3 married up, whish rarely happens, and you moved the goalposts!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why not forget about Dublin and live somewhere on the train line, you'll get the house you want and more for 200k less than your budget. Not to mention a way cheaper cost of living. Only problem is the early start depending on what time you've to be in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I wasn't suggesting that far, somewhere under an hour or close to it that has a quick train, train station is packed here every morning with people working in the city. City wages with country living prices, if you don't mind getting up at 6 you can go half way down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Why not forget about Dublin and live somewhere on the train line, you'll get the house you want and more for 200k less than your budget. Not to mention a way cheaper cost of living. Only problem is the early start depending on what time you've to be in work.

I don't think it's fair to say that the only problem with a large commute is getting up early. What about the cost of that commute (in time and money), the reliance on other people (public transport providers, other drivers, etc) to make sure you get to work on time, the difficulty you'll have when you need to be at home on a work day (accepting delivery like white goods, getting something fixed, getting work done on the house), what happens when you get sick in work and have to travel home, what happens when there's bad weather (snow, storms, etc) and you have to get home and then obviously the big one: kids.

Your going to have some sort of a commute in Dublin especially with some of the areas mentioned. You have taxsaver tickets, there's also a cost to commuting in Dublin. It can work depending on where you work in Dublin. Thousands do it every day.
    Kids are a lot cheaper raise and send to crèche/school. Easy saving there that would more than pay for the train tickets and someone to on standby to collect the kids if your running later.
    White goods delivered, snow storms, those things effect everyone Dublin or not, there's always a work around.
    Then you've the big one, the 200k or more saving on your house.
    All your really dealing with is the extra commute. If your already commuting in Dublin what's an extra 30 minutes for a lot richer lifestyle.
    Also you've to take into account anyone buying in Dublin at the moment is more than likely going to be in negative equity in 10yrs when supply overtakes demand.

Also you've to take into account anyone buying in Dublin at the moment is more than likely going to be in negative equity in 10yrs when supply overtakes demand.

You seem so sure! If you could give us the exact date for this forecast it would be great, as its a sure thing, we'd all like to know the best time to sell & you seem to know all the details.

You seem so sure! If you could give us the exact date for this forecast it would be great, as its a sure thing, we'd all like to know the best time to sell & you seem to know all the details.

October 2029. I think your going to see a gradual decline over the next few years but I'd expect the 3 bed semi to be down about 30% from today's prices in 10yrs. If I thought they were going to go up I'd be buying a few. I think it's a good time to cash in, might get a few more % hanging on a bit but nothing like the gains in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go for a semi d ,it,ll give you a wider choice of house,s .
    i live in a terraced house , i hear no noise from house on the left or the right .I,m not sure but i think new builders have to provide some
    element of social housing if they build more than 9 house,s in the estate.
    https://beauchamps.ie/publications/464
    IF you really want to avoid social housing ,buy in an estate thats built more than 10 years ago.
    You can get a survey done on the house to make sure its built to a high standard and and has good levels of sound insulation.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/swords/?s%5Bmxp%5D=350000

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/swords/33a-the-heights-swords-dublin-1876790/

this is a detached corner house,
    So theres only a house on one side.
    Or just go to daft.ie ,put in 400k 3bed house dublin see what comes up .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That may be "a" solution for some but it's not what the government are focusing on. Wish for it as you might, it's not the current policy. Current policy is to distribute social housing so it doesn't become concentrated.

Secondly, Many people in social housing have jobs and pay their rents. So get off your high horse.

Can you give the figures on how many are actually work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I don’t think they are allowed offset any more

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thesun.ie/news/1537474/dublin-city-council-quizzed-over-value-for-money-as-it-splashes-e480k-to-buy-%C2%ADluxury-two-bed-apartment-for-social-housing/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Seriously? I'm curious why your criteria include the orientation of the front door? Maybe something I haven't thought of myself

Can you give the figures on how many are actually work ?

Can you give figures of how many don't?
    Just deduct that from the total and you have your info!
    Rhetorical question, of course you can't, outside of anecdotal evidence and your own experience, which is exactly what I would provide, and you would rebuke as being unreliable or anecdotal.

If accurate figures or ratio's exist for employed social housing tenants, they're not made generally available.

My anecdotal evidence is a number of friends who work in part time jobs, where hours are not guaranteed. Usually on 2 - 4 days per week. They work.

The OP wrongly painted all people availing social housing as uneducated and unable to get jobs. It may apply to a percentage of people in social housing but to blanket the whole cohort with such a statement, that they are all uneducated and none of them work , well that's blantly wrong, even without knowing accurate numbers.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Hi,
    Could you please say where I could buy a 3 bed detached new house in Dublin? My budget is 400-420k.

Beaumont would have detached for 400 and semi detached for well under 400k but no new builds there.

I've several relatives there, incredibly boring suburb but quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

lcwill wrote: »
    Seriously? I'm curious why your criteria include the orientation of the front door? Maybe something I haven't thought of myself

This whole thread is obviously a pisstake.

Can you give figures of how many don't?
    Just deduct that from the total and you have your info!
    Rhetorical question, of course you can't, outside of anecdotal evidence and your own experience, which is exactly what I would provide, and you would rebuke as being unreliable or anecdotal.

If accurate figures or ratio's exist for employed social housing tenants, they're not made generally available.

My anecdotal evidence is a number of friends who work in part time jobs, where hours are not guaranteed. Usually on 2 - 4 days per week. They work.

The OP wrongly painted all people availing social housing as uneducated and unable to get jobs. It may apply to a percentage of people in social housing but to blanket the whole cohort with such a statement, that they are all uneducated and none of them work , well that's blantly wrong, even without knowing accurate numbers.

"My anecdotal evidence is a number of friends who work in part time jobs, where hours are not guaranteed. Usually on 2 - 4 days per week. They work."

Well if your friends are in this situation then it's their problem. What did they do in their teen years not getting a good education or studying for something.
    They were just being lazy.

How many in social housing actually care about their neighbors and are good? Answer is 0.01%.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

quite a few eldery and people with long term illness in social housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Type D and E houses are detached and in your price range:

https://www.daft.ie/newparksthelens

Advertisement