Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2018/2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Squatter wrote: »
    As long as their sponsors don't get windy, they'll probably be able to ride out the storm.

I wonder will it affect season ticket sales.

They'll have expected this. They are bound to have discussed it with their sponsors.

I don't think they should have been sacked by the IRFU but it's the circus that surrounds them that is why I don't think Ulster (or any province) should go near them again and why I understand why they were dismissed.

From a purely rugby POV he's a very good signing for London Irish. They look like they'll be competitive in the Premiership next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Wasn't Jackson dropped by Pernignan at the latter end of the season due to poor form?
    He could be a decent signing but even his goalkicking would be about the 80% mark.

Hopefully he will come good as I think he has done his time and should be allowed to resurrect his Irish career if he did want to return home.

Has he signed a 2 year deal with LI?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think it was more a case of then knowing he was leaving and them putting hands time into their younger backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

The Archbishop of Banterbury has announced his retirement from all forms of rugby at seasons end.......a pundits life awaits I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wasn't Jackson dropped by Pernignan at the latter end of the season due to poor form?
    He could be a decent signing but even his goalkicking would be about the 80% mark.

Perpignan were too far gone to battle back from relegation and the management chose to give Selponi game time instead, they didn't win a single league game until March. Everyone knew Jackson was going to leave as soon as relegation was confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The press in New Zealand say Waisake Naholo will sign for London Irish and join up after the World Cup.

That's some team Kidney and Kiss are assembling.

Clegg wrote: »
    The press in New Zealand say Waisake Naholo will sign for London Irish and join up after the World Cup.

That's some team Kidney and Kiss are assembling.

Sky Sports saying it's a done deal and will be announced shortly
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsRugby/status/1126059216576417792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Erik Shun wrote: »
    The Archbishop of Banterbury has announced his retirement from all forms of rugby at seasons end.......a pundits life awaits I would think.

Fair enough, he seems to be an intelligent and articulate lad whose cosmopolitan rugby career may well have given him a wider perspective on rugby matters than most of the pundits we encounter in the Irish/UK rugby media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

bilston wrote: »
    They'll have expected this. They are bound to have discussed it with their sponsors.

Absolutely. Twitter goes into meltdown over nothing anyway these days, complete nut jobs on it

This will all blow over in a few days anyway

Great move for both parties

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That Liverpool result will have helped them bury the news a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

As has the Noholo announcement today

At the end of the day, LI are not going to care one jot about the opinions of raving Social Media posters, with zero connection to the club, many of who's purpose for getting out of bed in the morning is to find the next story to direct their permanent outrage.

The only thing that LI will be wary of is sponsors and season ticket holders. Undoubtedly they have discussed this all in detail with the former before sealing the deal, and given the excitement from genuine LI fans around the SOB and Noholo transfers (and yes Jackson's also from many quarters), I can't see ticket sales being an issue in their first season back up in the big time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Naholo has been a dud AB but an excellent highlander. There are always these players who excel at provincial level and not an international level. Not sure he was going to the Rwc, especially as he’s been injured most of the season, this will probably kill his chances. Will always have a place of honour at the annual congress of herbal médecine practitioners.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Perpignan were too far gone to battle back from relegation and the management chose to give Selponi game time instead, they didn't win a single league game until March. Everyone knew Jackson was going to leave as soon as relegation was confirmed.

Bit of both, really. He was severely underwhelming and the management and fans lost faith in him.

Not that his teammates inspired any confidence.

Hard to see any promoted clubs staying up for the foreseeable future. Lyon and Pau were the last to make a fist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bit of both, really. He was severely underwhelming and the management and fans lost faith in him.

Not that his teammates inspired any confidence.

Hard to see any promoted clubs staying up for the foreseeable future. Lyon and Pau were the last to make a fist of it.

Remember Biarritz?

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A few risky signings for LI.
    Will SOB be fit?
    Will PJ be any good?
    Will Naholo turn up?

What sort of pack will they have, specifically the front 5?

A few risky signings for LI.
    Will SOB be fit?
    Will PJ be any good?
    Will Naholo turn up?

What sort of pack will they have, specifically the front 5?

On paper, they'll have a really experienced team with a good few big names. But whether they can actually play together and put in a full 15 performance is going to be the big question.

Kidney and Kiss will certainly have their hands full trying to manage that sort of squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

On paper, they'll have a really experienced team with a good few big names. But whether they can actually play together and put in a full 15 performance is going to be the big question.

Kidney and Kiss will certainly have their hands full trying to manage that sort of squad.
    They've signed a lot of big names, only time will tell if it pays off.

This is the latest list

naholo will turn up.

hes definitely not a prima donna, flash harry type player.

If naiyaravoro can be a success at Saints then waisake will certainly light up the premiership.

More likely curtis rona would be a dud to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Most of the those players seem like very serious professionals when it comes to playing rugby, you would imagine Coleman, sob, naholo and even pj would drive standards. Exciting to have an English team to care about/watch for a few seasons, be great if they sneak into the champions cup in two years, they probably need more depth.

Most of the those players seem like very serious professionals when it comes to playing rugby, you would imagine Coleman, sob, naholo and even pj would drive standards. Exciting to have an English team to care about/watch for a few seasons, be great if they sneak into the champions cup in two years, they probably need more depth.

my view exactly.....

rather then having a cold passing in it, i might get invested in the notnots ;)

• Advertisement

The investment required for teams to step up from the Championship is mental if you look at Bristol last year and now LI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sydthebeat wrote: »
    my view exactly.....

rather then having a cold passing in it, i might get invested in the notnots ;)

And soon to be just the nots when they move in with Brentford!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The investment required for teams to step up from the Championship is mental if you look at Bristol last year and now LI.
    True
    And it undid London Welsh unfortunately, who now only exist as an amateur team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There are probably smarter ways to do it than Bristol i.e. making Charles Piutau the highest paid player in the game, supposedly. Things have clicked for them of late but I think they'd have been better off spreading that money through their team a little more.

They spent massive money on a small number of players who had the ability to command big salaries. Piutau has started 10 Premiership matches this season. Madigan hasn't started a Premiership match since February after falling down the pecking order.

Hopefully LI are getting better value for money in signing guys like PJ and SOB who will probably command a diminished salary for various reasons or possibly have clauses in their contract based on appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

True
    And it undid London Welsh unfortunately, who now only exist as an amateur team.

Wasn't London Welsh's problem that they didn't pump a heap of money into the squad, and lost every game as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wasn't London Welsh's problem that they didn't pump a heap of money into the squad, and lost every game as a result?

After being told by the RFU that they couldn’t financially compete or survive and then appealing the RFU’s decision to force their way into the premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

No, i think their problem was that they were not in a position to sign players until very late in the day, because of questions about their ground. By the time they could they had to overpay for dross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

After being told by the RFU that they couldn’t financially compete or survive and then appealing the RFU’s decision to force their way into the premiership

I'd forgotten all about that.

At some point, they are going to have to ring-fence the Premiership. Is there anyone in the Championship who could legitimately compete in the top tier?

I'd forgotten all about that.

At some point, they are going to have to ring-fence the Premiership. Is there anyone in the Championship who could legitimately compete in the top tier?

Other than Newcastle depending on how they get on next season, not really. There was a 33 point difference between LI at the top and Bedford in third. Ealing were second and 13 points behind LI. Which is a fair turnaround considering they were in the National League 1 only 4 years ago, but they also don't have a ground that meets the requirements for the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Thanks, that's what I was referring too.
    Were advised not to go up because of unstable finances but forced ahead anyway.
    It was a number of reasons but that was definitely a huge factor.

Advertisement